Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

any good Cannes 2004 films out on DVD?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-04, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Old Boy, which is very good, but are there other must have Cannes '04 films on DVD?
Old 05-25-04, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Oldboy was an exception to the rule. Generally films at Cannes are making their theatrical debut and haven't been put out on DVD, even in their native countries. You'll commonly see the phrase "a rough cut shown at Cannes" - filmmakers are often still scrambling to finish their films to show them there.
Old 05-25-04, 05:06 PM
Suspended

Expect the Palme D'Or winner FAHRENHEIT 911 to be on dvd pretty soon!!!
Old 05-25-04, 05:29 PM

Well, french fan, certainly not before the theatrical release in fall, right?

S
Old 05-25-04, 05:38 PM
Suspended

Actually Miramax is trying to sell the theatrical rights and dvd/video rights to separate distributers. One condition that is being talked about is the film to be released July 4th weekend in theatres, and for dvd/video to be out right after, definitely much before the November elections.
Old 05-25-04, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, Moore wants the DVD out in October. So this will probably be one of the first films from this year's Cannes to be (officially) available on DVD. The Ladykillers should also be out within the next few months.
Old 05-25-04, 06:13 PM
Suspended

Yeah, Moore wants the DVD out in October. So this will probably be one of the first films from this year's Cannes to be (officially) available on DVD
if by 'officially' you mean an official U.S. release then you are right, although as mentioned previously OLD BOY was just released in Korea and Kiarostami's doc 10 ON 10 (Cannes /Un Certain Regard) is being released in France, not bad since Cannes 04' is less than a week old
Old 05-25-04, 06:21 PM

Hmm, I would love to see FAHRENHEIT 9/11 asap, but I am just shocked about how Disney handles this thing. Creating one mindless animated piece of trash after another is ONE thing, but going on and pretending the US is not a country of free speech is just down right ridiculous!

NO, actually, it's very very ironic!

S
Old 05-25-04, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Summerwine
Hmm, I would love to see FAHRENHEIT 9/11 asap, but I am just shocked about how Disney handles this thing. Creating one mindless animated piece of trash after another is ONE thing, but going on and pretending the US is not a country of free speech is just down right ridiculous!

S
absolutely agree!! You should do a search in the "other" as there was a rather detailed discussion of this issue. Basically, it comes down to the fact that there was lots of "external influence" so to speak...

However, given the political climate in the US (at this point) of extreme polarization...I am not a tiny bit surprised.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 05-25-04 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-25-04, 10:33 PM
Suspended

There are discussions going on all over the forums so i don't believe there is need to start new ones as most of us haven't seen the doc yet , but obviously there is great anticipation and it's nice to hear different opinions.
Old 05-26-04, 01:40 AM
Suspended

I recently saw Road to Koktebel (Cannes/ Critic's Week) by Boris Khlebnikov and Alexei Popogrebsky on various russian sites, although with no english subs.
Old 05-26-04, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Summerwine

S
As far as I know, Disney told Miramax and Moore they wouldn't distribute the film before he even started filming it. They never kept him from making the film, and given its trumpeting at Cannes and attendent distribution offers, I don't think they're actively suppressing the film, either. Moore has the right to free speech, but Disney also have the right to pass on distribution if they choose.

That said, Disney are a bunch of craven coporate morons, but their decision says more about the Bush family's propensity for vengeance then anything else. They're afraid Dubya and his clan will go after the FL mouse empire like they were the local Saddam if Moore's film keeps ole' GW from getting back in the White House.
Old 05-27-04, 11:58 PM

I understand how Farenheit 9/11 can cause a lot of debate... but the original question was are there other Cannes '04 films that are out on dvd aside from Old Boy. Thanks!