Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Xiu Xiu the Sent Down Girl - best version?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The region 1 seems to be officially out of print although it appears that there are copies available on line. This gets generally good reviews as far as audio/visual quality BUT it has burned in subtitles (if this isn't correct please let me know).

My question, is there a version in any other regions that has English subs that are not mandatory? That also has good A/V quality? I haven't had much success in finding anything other that the R1 ... which I will probably get if there's not anything better available.

TIA.
Old 05-11-04, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are only two version of this film available. The R1 anamorphic widesceen with burnt in subs, and the R3 [ http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm ] full screen. (i'm not sure if the subs are burnt in or not)

Personally i went with the R1 which i bought used for 15.00 at half.com. (i'll take burnt in subs over full screen any day)
If you choose to buy this version make sure you e-mail the seller to ask if the version they are selling is the "Image Entertainment" version in a "Snap Case", just to make sure they don't send you a bootleg or the R3 version.

Also don't think of buying it at amazon.ca. (which is the only place I could find it online) Even though they say it's available, they will e-mail you in 10 days or so to tell you it's out of stock.

It's a great movie by the way. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Last edited by wynter_nyne; 05-11-04 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-14-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the advice. I was able to buy a (used) copy of the Image snapper case R1 release yesterday. And yes I thought it was great when I saw it in a theater when released, looking forward to seeing it again.
Old 05-14-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I have also been looking for this film for sometime... Thanks.