Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are these available? If so, what version is the best?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 05-11-04, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everybody. I am a complete newbie when it comes to buying non R1 DVD's. I have never bought a single DVD that wasn't R1.

These are the items that I would love to have, but I can't really figure out either if they are available, or which version is satisfactory.

If somebody could point me towards decent releases of these movies, it would be much appreciated. All I really want is a decent transfer, original language audio track, and English subtitles where needed.

- The Brave (Depp)
- 21 Jump Street (Depp)
- Cry-Baby (Depp)
- Twin Peaks Season 2
- Xiu Xiu - The Sent Down Girl
- Fat Girl
- Hero (Jet Li)

Thanks!!!
Doug
Old 05-11-04, 01:49 PM

For your needs, I would recommend the Rewind Comparison Database, which does a pretty good job of comparing different regional releases of a wide range of films on DVD. Note that they only compare the "specs"--not the picture quality or audio quality, etc. (It doesn't appear that Cry-Baby has been released on DVD anywhere.)

For a database which compares screenshots of DVDs from different regions to decide which is the best version, I would recommend DVD Beaver. They mostly compare DVDs of arthouse and foreign films, though (and the database is still small since the process is more labor-intensive). For example:

Hero comparison

Finally, I would recommend a multi-region DVD price checker, such as DVD Price Check in the UK.

Best of luck.
Old 05-11-04, 02:53 PM

Thanks! Those are some very helpful links!!!

I have one question. Would I be able to play PAL discs on my computer? It looks like the only NTSC release of Fat Girl is the Hong Kong release, and it is Full Frame!
Old 05-11-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the Japanese release of Depp's 'The Brave.' excellent 16:9 and loads interviews and behind the scenes footage, basically a single disc special edition...best version ever released of this film as far as I know.

cdjapan is where I bought it....not sure if its still available or now OOP.
Old 05-12-04, 05:35 AM

As the DVD Beaver comparision (and other reviews) shows, the Japanese release of Hero is the best so far, and is probably cheapest from AmazonJP at about USD36 postpaid. I believe there is a Y500 (USD4.40) coupon available for first time users as well, if memory serves me right it's good until the end of May.
The Brave is a bit less expensive at CD Japan than AmazonJP , but I believe the difference in shipping will make up for that.
Both Cry-Baby and 21 Jump Street have been out in Japan, but are no longer in print.

As far as I know the only legit release of Twin Peaks S2 so far is the Spanish release, which is supposed to be really bad.

Last edited by Njål; 05-12-04 at 05:46 AM.