Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Sky High Special Edition (Japanese R2)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Sky High Special Edition (Japanese R2)

Old 05-10-04, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay I made a mistake on Sky High.All I saw was the promo DVD at the store.Anyway this is the info I got from the store
5.21 they will release the Premier DVD Box Set for JPY15,960
And on 6.25 SKYHIGH 2 they will release the series on DVD
Box Set is about JPY15,960
Special Edition DVD and Standard Edition will have DTS track!
Old 05-20-04, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just recieved shipping confirmation for my 2 disc Sky High set (and Azumi 2 disc) from Amazon.jp.
Old 05-27-04, 07:35 PM
Banned

I just recieved my SE Sky High and I wish I had bought the regular version instead. I bought the SE for the 2nd disc with Director's Cut but there aren't any English subs and not DTS unlike the theatrical cut on the first disc. Wish I had known a head of time. Still haven't watched the movie, hope it's cool. From the trailers it doesn't look as action packed as I had hoped.
Old 05-27-04, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by LeRoy
I just recieved my SE Sky High and I wish I had bought the regular version instead. I bought the SE for the 2nd disc with Director's Cut but there aren't any English subs and not DTS unlike the theatrical cut on the first disc. Wish I had known a head of time. Still haven't watched the movie, hope it's cool. From the trailers it doesn't look as action packed as I had hoped.
That blows, I just got my SE today also, along with Azumi 2 disc. Oh well, it was pretty cheap, for a 2 disc Japanese release anyway (under $50 I believe). I also don't recall the price difference between the two was that much anyway (under $10).

Last edited by flashburn; 05-27-04 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-27-04, 11:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by flashburn
That blows, I just got my SE today also, along with Azumi 2 disc. Oh well, it was pretty cheap, for a 2 disc Japanese release anyway (under $50 I believe). I also don't recall the price difference between the two was that much anyway (under $10).
Actually there's about a $13 difference which isn't a whole lot more but I still could have bought a Shaw Bros. DVD with that money.
Old 05-28-04, 01:52 AM

For those who have received the DVD already and have watched the movie, please post your comments please. I'm very curious to know since I'm still debating on whether I should pick this one up or not.
Old 05-28-04, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by LeRoy
Actually there's about a $13 difference which isn't a whole lot more but I still could have bought a Shaw Bros. DVD with that money.
Don't know what store you are talking about, but the price difference was around $6 at amazon.jp.

1 disc (note, this disc is no longer 20% off...):
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...279223-3276343

2 disc:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...279223-3276343

So anyway, not a big deal. I just really wanted to watch that directors cut.

Last edited by flashburn; 05-28-04 at 05:00 AM.
Old 05-28-04, 06:48 AM
Banned

Originally posted by flashburn
Don't know what store you are talking about, but the price difference was around $6 at amazon.jp.
I order everything from Yesasia for the Free Shipping.
Old 06-22-04, 06:31 PM

We have managed to take a detailed look at the Japanese release of Sky High Special Edition DVD set. You can find our detailed review here.

Snippet:
Sky High is most likely Kitamura’s weakest movie to date, but in all honesty is still thoroughly enjoyable, especially if you adore this fanatical guy’s works. Basically he tries to squeeze too much of everything into one movie and leaves no room for the plot. The concepts are fascinating, composing of an urban spiritual tale but the screen is also bursting with youthful colourful energy. It is similar to Mortal Kombat, but not nearly as deep or philosophical. The easily amused and those who cannot perceive a flaw with any Kitamura movie will feel right at home.

For your hard earned cash however, you are essentially paying for a sophisticated audio and visual experience and nothing else. The inclusion of the minimal extras and director’s cut of the film cannot warrant a price tag of such magnitude. There is a second cheaper release of Sky High, which just has the theatrical cut. Unless you are a collector or can understand Japanese, I would really urge you to purchase the standard edition as opposed to this one.
We also have reviews for the following Kitamura DVDs:

Jam Films
Battlefield Baseball Tornado Edition
Azumi
Versus.