DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Anyone received Aliens R2 Japan dts yet? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/362470-anyone-received-aliens-r2-japan-dts-yet.html)

tacos 05-05-04 11:42 AM

Anyone received Aliens R2 Japan dts yet?

Anyone listened to the dts track yet? If so how is it?

RichDB10 05-05-04 02:55 PM

Re: Anyone received Aliens R2 Japan dts yet?

Originally posted by tacos
Anyone listened to the dts track yet? If so how is it?
Mine was shipped a week ago..so am expecting delivery in the next day or two....will try to let you know how the DTS track is once i've checked it out and unless someone chimes in before me.

Dr Octagon 05-05-04 04:22 PM

My boxset shipped on Monday - will report back

jezza01 05-06-04 05:27 AM

hopefully mine will turn up Friday. Will report ASAP.
Jezza

woolvr 05-06-04 12:22 PM

Got it a couple of days ago from cdjapan. I listened to parts of aliens and alien3 and it sounds alot better than the region 1 versions. And these are the extended cuts too.

Josh Z 05-06-04 12:40 PM

Can you confirm whether the Japanese discs have the English audio commentaries that the R1 discs have?

tacos 05-06-04 02:19 PM

Got it a couple of days ago from cdjapan. I listened to parts of aliens and alien3 and it sounds alot better than the region 1 versions. And these are the extended cuts too.
I thought only the theatrical versions of the disk were to include dts?

tacos 05-06-04 02:20 PM

Anyone know if Japan is going to sell Alien 3 dts seperate?

digitalfreaknyc 05-06-04 02:58 PM

Originally posted by tacos
Anyone know if Japan is going to sell Alien 3 dts seperate?
They are, I'm almost positive.

Kumar J 05-07-04 01:21 AM

It's already selling at the stores and the cover is fantastic!

jezza01 05-07-04 04:35 AM

It arrived today.

Mine arrived today, DTS is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alien 3 is only available as part of the Quad box set.

Josh Z 05-07-04 02:34 PM

Do the Japanese discs have the audio commentaries?

Do Aliens or Alien3 offer DTS on the extended cuts, or just the theatrical cuts?

jezza01 05-08-04 12:54 AM

Originally posted by Josh Z
Do the Japanese discs have the audio commentaries?

Do Aliens or Alien3 offer DTS on the extended cuts, or just the theatrical cuts?

Well Aliens DTS has audio commentary & only extended version, not threatrical. Unsure of the Japan Quad box set, "rewind" says it has both versions with DTS and audio commentary.

Can someone from Japan please confirm details of the Japan Quad box "Aliens".
Thanks.
Jezza

Kumar J 05-08-04 05:56 AM

Link Below
http://www.foxjapan.com/dvd-video/al...ox.cgi?id=2057
I saw just the box today and the seperate releases.They are not selling the Part 3 and 4 on separate edition.So it's the normal edition with DTS included in the Quad set.
The Alien seperate set has the Directors cut Ultimate Edition
While Aliens has the Ultimate Edition

candyrocket786 05-08-04 05:04 PM

Well...I placed my order. Now it can sit on my shelf with the Original SE and Quadrilogy set. :o

Josh Z 05-12-04 04:01 PM

Originally posted by jezza01
Well Aliens DTS has audio commentary & only extended version, not threatrical. Unsure of the Japan Quad box set, "rewind" says it has both versions with DTS and audio commentary.

Can someone from Japan please confirm details of the Japan Quad box "Aliens".

Seems unlikely to me that Fox would master the discs for separate release differently than the one in the box, just to take away the theatrical cut. I'd guess the Japanese "Quadrilogy" box also only contains the longer cut of the movie, not the theatrical cut.

If there's anyone out there who owns the Japanese Quadrilogy box, it would be great if you could confirm. I'd also like to know whether the Japanese edition of Alien3 inside the box has the option for English subtitles only during the patches of bad dialogue (like the American disc does).

rexinnih 05-13-04 08:51 AM

Finally ordered the quad set myself. I'll report when I get it.

Giles 06-08-04 01:20 PM

Even though I own the R1 edition (which I haven't watched yet)and now the R2 Japanese edition, I can say that the image for Aliens is finally cleaned up and the grain which was prevailent in past video incarnations (i.e, the laserdisc) is gone. The DTS soundmix is quite amazing, in that one, the dynamics are startling, the loud passages are jolting and the bass solid and menacing The soundtrack even compared to the previous DVD deluxe edition reveals alot more in detail and creates a wider dimensional soundfield.

mrwilson 06-10-04 01:32 PM

I can say that the image for Aliens is finally cleaned up and the grain which was prevailent in past video incarnations (i.e, the laserdisc) is gone.
I thought I noticed compression artifacts in the blue fields in space at the start of the film.

Jeff L 06-10-04 03:01 PM

Yeah, the grain is definitely not gone as it's inherent in the actual film, due to low lighting. Every review I've read of the new release says it's still there, and I can REALLY see it on my Sony Wega in the exact scenes that it was there in the Laserdisc and the previous DVD. Just look at the scene when Ripley and Burke are in the "park". When they are talking, there are two different angles in which the scene is shot. When they show Burke, the lighting is fine and there is no grain. When they show Ripley, the lighting is dark and there is lots of it. My Wega is a very revealing TV so I can see flaws on a lot of DVD's that others don't. Especially those who have RPTV's.

Jeff

OldBoy 05-11-06 06:39 PM

i want to revisit this as i am thinking of purchasing the DTS version...so is there quite a noticeable difference between the DTS and DD 5.1? i mean a big, big difference?

visitor Q 05-11-06 06:56 PM

I have the ultimate edition (extended cut) with the DTS track and to answer your question .. no. The difference is not worth the overpriced Japanese release.

OldBoy 05-11-06 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by visitor Q
I have the ultimate edition (extended cut) with the DTS track and to answer your question .. no. The difference is not worth the overpriced Japanese release.

yes, that is what i was worried about...$40+ at most places. thanks for input!

digitalfreaknyc 05-11-06 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
i want to revisit this as i am thinking of purchasing the DTS version...so is there quite a noticeable difference between the DTS and DD 5.1? i mean a big, big difference?

Has DTS EVER been "a big, big difference?"

OldBoy 05-12-06 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Has DTS EVER been "a big, big difference?"

why yes, yes it has. i find that most of my collection that has DTS is far superior over the DD and rather prefer any and all DTS tracks.