Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

421 Video in Toronto Chinatown...?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 04-30-04, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone familiar with this store on the southwest corner of Dundas and Spadina (inside the mall on the ground floor)?

They have lots of interesting items but the packaging seems very dull. Are these bootlegs or is the packaging on Chinese discs just really cheap? I'm talking about titles like Once Upon a Time in China, Ichi the Killer, etc.
Old 04-30-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Chinatown is full of boots unfortunately. I'm not sure about that particular store though (I've probably been there but can't remember offhand. I've definitely been to that mall). By dull packaging, do you mean that its not glossy? If so, thats a warning sign. Any legitimate HK discs I've bought have had cover art on glossy paper just like US releases. Check for uneven cutting around the edges too.
Old 04-30-04, 08:10 PM

By dull I mean not sharp. They're not blurry though... just, the letters don't jump off the paper, so to speak.

Should I expect the HK imports to be just as good looking as north american printed or not?
Old 04-30-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts
As far as legitimate HK releases, I've seen some odd choices in cover art, colours, character fonts, etc sometimes, but the actual printing quality itself is usually comparable to North American releases (at least in the ones I've bought)
Old 04-30-04, 09:22 PM

Thanks cultshock.