Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Censorship in Korean and HK DVD

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 04-30-04, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you guys here think about the censorship in Korean & HK DVD? What I mean here is for US films (or others) in Korean & HK DVDs. Just as comparison, BBFC is quite harsh in this matter, see how they butcher Tomb Raider, or Mummy Returns, and perhaps many others. Germany is also quite strict, see Hard Boiled for example.

In that context, how about our fellow Koreans and HKs? How do they treat films that expose super violent action scenes or sex scenes?
Old 04-30-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Hong Kong's pretty liberal. Korea doesn't like graphic sex.
Old 05-01-04, 09:33 AM

Korea doesn't like full frontal. Anything under the belt is either blurred out or cut. If it can be, it's cut, but if it's a long take, it'll be blurred and cut away as soon as possible. As for violence, anything extreme will be cut. They do have Irreversible uncut and it can be uncensored. I've read they cut some other things elsewhere but I'd rather check them out for myself to make sure.

HK with violence? HK movies invented super violent action movies. When I hear an HK DVD has a movie cut because of violence, I'm REALLY surprised.

What happened with Tomb Raider? The movie was only PG-13 in the US, how much was it butchered?
Old 05-01-04, 11:00 AM
Banned

Originally posted by pat00139
Korea doesn't like full frontal. Anything under the belt is either blurred out or cut. If it can be, it's cut, but if it's a long take, it'll be blurred and cut away as soon as possible. As for violence, anything extreme will be cut.
Extreme violence? I'd say Fight Club falls under that category and none of the violence was cut. The penis was, though.

And fyi...basic instinct was not cut or blurred. And I tihnk you know what shot I'm talking about.
Old 05-02-04, 02:06 AM

Regarding the Tomb Raider butchering, I only read report from dvdcompare.net scenes like head butting in fight scene is cut, sounds of switchblade is terminated, etc.

Back to the topic, so if we buy US movies Korean version or HK version it would be more or less the same with the US version, right? Except for the movies that contain too graphic sex and violence of course.
Old 05-02-04, 10:52 AM

Yep. Right now the only movie I can think of that you can buy uncut in the US but not in HK is Ichi the Killer. I'm sure there are more but I don't know which ones.

As for the comment about extreme violence, Kill Bill was cut by a few seconds by the government when it played in theatres. (None of Miike's movies, by the way, are available in Korea.) Cases of movies cut because of extreme violence are very rare, but they do happen. I do have Saving Private Ryan and all the carnage is there.

Some Japanese animes are cut in Korea, which you can get uncut in the US. I think they're cut to make them accessible to kids, but you can buy rating 18 (18 years and over) and 15 (15 years and older) version of Escaflowne for some reason.

I'm surprised Basic Instinct isn't censored. Maybe someone was sleeping at their post when that movie was reviewed. Things much more tame don't get past, like Water Drops on Burning Rocks, it's actually cropped during the scene Miss Sagnier is fully nude.
Old 05-02-04, 04:33 PM

Wrong Turn is a film heavily cut in HK for violence on DVD.
Old 05-03-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
every and all headbutts in matrix 1 are cut out of 15 rated movie in the uk. and the headbutt in episode 2 aotc is cut in the uk as well so it could get a pg
Old 05-03-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally posted by Djangoman
Regarding the Tomb Raider butchering, I only read report from dvdcompare.net scenes like head butting in fight scene is cut, sounds of switchblade is terminated, etc.
You sure it wasn't a UK disc they were talking about? The BBFC has an irrational problem with head-butts in movies and TV shows. I've never heard of any other country cutting out a head-butt.
Old 05-03-04, 12:41 PM

If you lookup the Tomb Raider comparison on dvdcompare.net it is the UK disc that is the censored one.