Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

HK Cinema to look forward to?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

HK Cinema to look forward to?

Old 06-28-04, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Anything new?
Old 06-28-04, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking for Breaking News and Throwdown, both Johnnie To movies.

Other than that, there's still New Police Story, The Twins Effect 2, or whatever that's being called, and The Myth, also with Jackie Chan. None of these movies are completely finished, though, so it's gonna take a little while before they get to DVD.

If you like Zhang Ziyi, I saw Purple Butterfly last September so I'm really looking forward to a nice DVD some time soon, but it probably won't happen. Jasmin's Women is also something I'm waiting for. These aren't really HK movies, but they come from the same country so I figured they'd count.

I suppose I can state now that I'm looking for Wong Kar-Wai's next movie, which I suppose will be coming out in 2012 or something like that.

Last edited by pat00139; 06-28-04 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-28-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

DARKNESS BRIDE is now available on DVD. There's no more excuses not to pick up this outstanding film!

As for upcoming films, on 7/15, Zhang Yimou's HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS is unleashed upon HK. I can't wait.

Lastly, watch out for Wong Kar-Wai's THE HAND - his third of the Antonioni-led project EROS. It is a masterpiece!
Old 07-05-04, 12:33 AM
Banned

I saw Breaking News in Hong Kong theaters. It's pretty good, very original. It was overhyped because the opening action scene is all in one take and obviously was very very VERY difficult to do...but in a way I felt he did it just to say "oh look at me I made an action scene all in one take so I could brag about it." It did not enhance the scene or make it any better. But the camera movements were very impressive.

Overall it's an enjoyable film and worth watching.
Old 07-06-04, 07:59 PM
Cool New Member

Some of the HK films I am waiting for Protege de la Rose Noire, The New Police Story, Twins Effect 2, Silver Hawk.

The Korean Film I am wait to come out in either region 0 or 1 My Wife Is A Gangster 2

The Japanese Film I am waiting for The Returner 2
Old 07-06-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by dvdsamurai
Some of the HK films I am waiting for Protege de la Rose Noire, The New Police Story, Twins Effect 2, Silver Hawk.

The Korean Film I am wait to come out in either region 0 or 1 My Wife Is A Gangster 2

The Japanese Film I am waiting for The Returner 2
Protege de la Rose =
New Police Story = ? (eagerly anticipating this)
Twins Effect 2 = ? (can't imagine it being good though)
Silver Hawk =
My Wife is a Gangster 2 = (some scenes make it worth watching, but otherwise an insult to the first)
Returner 2 = ? (didn't even know this was coming out - good news)
Old 07-07-04, 05:02 AM

Twins Effect 2 does have a fight between Jackie Chan and Donnie Yen, I think, so it should be worth it a bit.

I don't think Returner 2 is being made. As I know it, the director and leads were busy doing other things. If it comes out, it'll come next year the earliest. Unless I missed something somewhere...