DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Warner Poland's Decalog and isdvd.pl (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/356747-warner-polands-decalog-isdvd-pl.html)

mensachicken 04-04-04 10:54 PM

Warner Poland's Decalog and isdvd.pl

I think that this week I will be buying the Polish WB version The Decalog set from isdvd.pl.

Besides the price, is there a reason not to? (e.g. has Warner announced it is releasing it here? or is it available from a cheaper site?)

Also, since I don't read a lick of Polish and am new to DVDs, I'm wondering if I am going to by the set from dvd.pl, is there anything else they offer that I may want to pick up on the same order? Also, any warnings about dealing with the site in general?

Thank you.

FilmFanSea 04-05-04 12:31 AM

(By "here", I presume you mean the US.) Warner does not hold the rights for these films in the US--those rights are currently held by Facets.

I previously owned the Infinity (Korea) release, but found the subtitling to be poor. Based on the samples at DVD Beaver, the subtitling on the Polish and Facets releases appears comparable.

Personally, I'm happy with the recent Facets re-release, and I couldn't justify the outrageous cost of the Polish set ($178 USD plus shipping) in order to get marginal improvement in picture quality and color fidelity. In addition, the extra material on the Polish release is not subtitled.

If money is no object, get the Polish set. I think eventually we will get a better version in Region 1 or Region 2, but that's probably several years away. I'll note that the Facets set can be had for less that $50 (at Deep Discount and Digital Eyes--both with free shipping in the US). Clearly--to me--the Polish set isn't FOUR TIMES BETTER, to justify the additional expense.

mensachicken 04-05-04 01:14 AM

FilmFanSea, thanks for your comments. i also have the Korea release and it pretty much sucks. heh.

I can get the Facets one cheap (C$50) but someone is offering to buy me any DVD up to $200 and this was the only one I could think of that I wanted. My only restriction is that it has to be a single title so I can't just spend $200 on 10 $20 titles, for instance.

Do you know anyplace besides isdvd.pl to get this set? I found one place (polishfilms.ca) but they're adding $50 onto the price, which is ridiculous. Also, I can't make head nor tail of tha .pl site. I can find the title, but that's about it. Can't figure out cost of shipping or anything like that which is why I was curious if anyone had bought from them.

Again, thanks for your comments.

Truffaut Fan 04-05-04 09:44 AM

I can get the Facets one cheap (C$50) but someone is offering to buy me any DVD up to $200 and this was the only one I could think of that I wanted. My only restriction is that it has to be a single title so I can't just spend $200 on 10 $20 titles, for instance.
If I had $200 to spend on one DVD, it'd definitely be the Polish Warner release of Dekalog.

Jeff

bobstevens 04-05-04 10:56 PM

Does anyone know if The Double Life of Veronique is out on DVD in any region? I know there's no R1 copy.