Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Spirit of Jeet Kune Do: Once Upon A Time In Highschool R3 Korean

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 04-04-04, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Has anyone seen this film yet? It comes out on DVD in Korea on April 15th :

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/17263.html
Old 04-04-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's the longest description of a movie I've ever seen... looks interesting though.
Old 04-07-04, 02:49 PM

Try this review:

http://www.asiaarts.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=8351
Old 04-07-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is going to be part of my next order at dvdasian, it looks really interesting.
Old 04-08-04, 04:03 AM

Don't get your hopes up. I've seen it and it's kind of long. The direction is kind of simple and amateurish. I'd say don't expect anything great. The love story is truly corny, right down to Kwon Sang-Woo and the girl sitting in field of tall grass talking to each other. It does have its interesting points, but it's just too long.

Also, the trailer to the movie had a really nice-looking fight sequence that wasn't even close to being in the movie. What fighting there is, is very short, and the 'final showdown', while quite intense, happens far too late in the movie for anybody to care.

If you buy it, don't expect a great movie. It shows life in Korean schools (which, believe it not, hasn't changed much in the past 25 years), but other than that, it's not too interesting.
Old 04-26-04, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just an update, DVDAsian updated their image of the release :

Old 05-04-04, 10:23 AM

Yeah, so even though the movie wasn't so hot, I bought the DVD. The second disk is a DVD-9 and my first rough estimate is that there's about 2 1/2 hours or so of extras on it. The packaging is also very nice. If you're gonna buy it, it weighs as much as about 5 DVDs. The shipping is gonna be a bit hefty.
Old 05-04-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, this thing is big. DVDAsian shipped mine last week, and they said it weighed over 2 pounds.
Old 05-04-04, 12:32 PM

The film is superb! buy it its one of the best films of the year! stunning drama and some amazing actors in it! one of the best and most origanal films to come out for ages and the fights, yes its no fight film, but they are pretty brutal and very very entertaining, see it and love it.
Old 05-06-04, 10:37 AM

I think the packaging is misleading. Looking at the DVD art, I was expecting some sort of action/high school gangster flick ala My Boss My Hero or Volcano High. But it's pretty much a straight drama more akin to The Classic with a little bit of Chingu thrown in.

Although it was quite the opposite of what I was expecting, I liked the movie. Like a previous poster said, it's a bit long and ponderous at times and could've used some editing but overall I liked the slower, more realistic pacing.
Old 05-06-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by thunnus
I think the packaging is misleading. Looking at the DVD art, I was expecting some sort of action/high school gangster flick ala My Boss My Hero or Volcano High. But it's pretty much a straight drama more akin to The Classic with a little bit of Chingu thrown in.

Although it was quite the opposite of what I was expecting, I liked the movie. Like a previous poster said, it's a bit long and ponderous at times and could've used some editing but overall I liked the slower, more realistic pacing.
The packaging is misleading?? You could of just read the description at dvdasian or yesasia. Or you could of searched for a review (or even looked at the review posted in this thread).
Old 05-06-04, 12:11 PM

The packaging is misleading?? You could of just read the description at dvdasian or yesasia. Or you could of searched for a review (or even looked at the review posted in this thread).
Please read what I wrote VERY CAREFULLY. I said, "I think the packaging is misleading." I didn't mention descriptions at DVDAsian or YesAsia. I didn't mention any reviews. Just the packaging. What's so confusing about that? Some people may buy a movie based on a whim. Maybe they see the cover and think it looks interesting. Maybe they don't want to know too much about the movie before they watch it. This is called "a blind buy".

Understand now?
Old 05-06-04, 12:58 PM

Judge a book by it's cover? I'm sure this has happened to you more than once then eh?

Great film!!!

Don't expect an action movie because you won't get that.

However if you like Korean film at worst you'll think it's 3 star good. I thought it was exceptional.

I have a problem with Korena films being called "amateurish" lately.. Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter..Spring being one of them recently. There is nothing amateurish about either of these films, espcially Spring.. The direction in both suited the films fine, as well as the pacing.

Like the poster says above.. Read the reviews and running time before you buy it, if it's anything longer than 90 min. don't get it. A lot of people in this country have ADD and I sympathize..
Old 05-06-04, 01:04 PM

If you have an open mind and enjoy films, you should like it, if your expecting an action epic your just wrong, I bought it for no real reason other than thats what I do, and I am ussually spot on and buy really great films, I avoid as much of the crap reviews and press as possable and the less you know the better it is, I did the same with Samaria and that too is a superb film, guess you lot need to just take a chance more it works for me all the time.
Old 05-06-04, 01:12 PM

I loved Samaria!!! You have really good taste in film!
Old 05-06-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by thunnus
Please read what I wrote VERY CAREFULLY. I said, "I think the packaging is misleading." I didn't mention descriptions at DVDAsian or YesAsia. I didn't mention any reviews. Just the packaging. What's so confusing about that? Some people may buy a movie based on a whim. Maybe they see the cover and think it looks interesting. Maybe they don't want to know too much about the movie before they watch it. This is called "a blind buy".

Understand now?
No.
Old 05-06-04, 04:24 PM

Samaria is maybe the best film I have seen so far this year!
but Once Upon a Time in a Highschool is in my top few as well, just hope the korean films keep it up over the next few months, and more packaging like OUATIAHS will be nice too as iots very nice, Memories of Murder Brick packaging
Old 05-08-04, 09:48 AM

Okay, I was really disappointed in the movie because the trailers made it look like an action film. There was a really neat flying double kick that was part of a longer fight sequence in one of the trailers, but it was completely taken out of the movie. In fact, after the movie finished, I couldn't even figure out where that scene would be. I didn't look carefully at the extras but I don't think it's in here either.

Right now, this movie has the best LE in stores. The packaging is really nice. Other than that, there's the Bruce Lee and A Better Tomorrow sets and the 8 Women velour box. It's just a shame more US movies don't get such a release.
Old 05-08-04, 12:33 PM

Okay, I was really disappointed in the movie because the trailers made it look like an action film. There was a really neat flying double kick that was part of a longer fight sequence in one of the trailers, but it was completely taken out of the movie. In fact, after the movie finished, I couldn't even figure out where that scene would be. I didn't look carefully at the extras but I don't think it's in here either.
I also agree that the trailers are misleading. That's too bad that the film wasn't marketed as what it is: a solid drama. I liked this film but I personally prefer the straight-ahead dramas as opposed to the goofy comedies and hyper-realistic action films being produced in Korea right now.

Those trailers ARE on the DVD. I can't tell you exactly where but I watched three of them. Two of them feature a fight sequence that wasn't in the film. The two male leads fighting back to back against a whole mob of other students. Kwon Sang Woo is wearing a white wife beater ala Bruce Lee and performs a double layout kick.

Thunnus
-----<><
Old 05-08-04, 09:08 PM

I thought the trailers might be there, but I'm interested in the scene. I've quickly looked at the extras, but that scene you described is not there. There's only one hint of it at the beginning of the...rehearsals, or something like that. It's a bunch of photographs in a series and you see that scene. I haven't found it anywhere else. Maybe it's an easter egg or something...
Old 05-09-04, 08:26 AM

The scenes in the film trailer were filmed for the trailer, and never were to be in the film, thats why they look at the camera and pose etc... they were just to be trailer stuff, I never saw any trailer before hand so didnt bother me.
Old 05-09-04, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just watched the movie last night, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I thought it was a solid drama that showed the way school in Korea is. Also the final
Spoiler:
fight scene, I thought was fantastic. It contained a lot of action and emotion, yet still seemed somewhat realistic.

I did watch the trailers after the movie, and I do have to say, they are pretty misleading. But, I do not see how packaging alone can be misleading.

Also to the guy who said "buying a movie alone from its packaging is called a blind buy", that is incorrect. What you just described is stupid. A 'blind buy' is when you buy a movie you haven't seen.
Old 05-09-04, 09:13 PM

I did watch the trailers after the movie, and I do have to say, they are pretty misleading. But, I do not see how packaging alone can be misleading.

Also to the guy who said "buying a movie alone from its packaging is called a blind buy", that is incorrect. What you just described is stupid. A 'blind buy' is when you buy a movie you haven't seen.
Ok...for those of you who have a problem with understanding my post about the packaging (which was only an OPINION by the way, noted by the words "I think" at the beginning of the sentence), here a couple specific examples of what I consider to be "misleading" when it comes to packaging of Once Upon a Time in High School:

Above is an image that was made available to consumers at YesAsia.com and DVDAsian.com. It depicts the star of the aforementioned movie in a classic Bruce Lee get-up and pose. It looks a bit cheesy and satirical. One MAY get the impression that the movie is a comedy or a martial arts film or that the star will, at some point, don a wife beater t-shirt ala Bruce. The movie is not a comedy (although it has its comic moments) nor is it a martial arts film (although it has some martial arts in some scenes) and Kwon Sang Woo never wears said wife beater. Is this not a valid definition of "misleading"?

Another example: the DVD cover itself (which has been previously posted in this thread somewhere) also SEEMS to imply Kwon Sang Woo as the heroic protagonist in relation to the buddy and the girl, which, arguably, can be said is NOT what's portrayed in the film.

Again, these are only my OPINIONS on the matter. I didn't say or imply that the above arguments are the concrete and absolute truth and that others that do not share this perspective are stupid. Like I previously stated in my other two posts, I LIKED the film and so my comments cannot be construed as film-bashing.

On the definition of "blind buy", my interpretation is that of a purchase made of a film before you know what its about. A buying decision based on packaging falls into that category, IMO. I don't consider buying a film after reading every review written and knowing everything about the movie short of actually watching it a "blind buy".

And finally, don't put things in quotes that I didn't say and then call it stupid. Quotes should be reserved for things that have actually been uttered or in this case typed.

Thunnus
-----<><
Old 05-10-04, 11:33 AM

don a wife beater t-shirt ala Bruce

I cannot quote as my keyboards broke, but thats funny stuff
Old 05-12-04, 12:30 PM

Thunnus, I do agree with you (although, I think it's usually understood that buying blind means buying the movie without seeing it first).

Anyway, the picture does make the movie look like a silly comedy. The thing, you see, is that many, many girls over here like Kwon Sang-Woo, and, I believe, they would rather see him in a role much like My Tutor Friend (possibly showing those oh-so-dreamy abs in a possible fight (with nunchucks!)) rather than a drama.

For some reason, Memories of Murder has the same advertising strategy. The cover has the two stars standing and grinning like idiots, reminding one of a skewed American Gothic. It looks like a kind of comedy, but when you see it, it's not really that.

It's kind of deceiving if you think about it but it also shows that the people have a sense of humour about the movie, and they tell you, In the end it's just a movie, people.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.