DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   What's The Best Edition Of The Bruce Lee Collection? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/355907-whats-best-edition-bruce-lee-collection.html)

MarkAtHome 03-31-04 07:16 AM

What's The Best Edition Of The Bruce Lee Collection?

I noticed the beautiful-looking, Korean edition of the new Bruce Lee Collection. Is this the best version to get? The looks of this package is very appealing, but if the DVDs themselves aren't good quality, that would be a deal breaker. Thanks.

mrhan 03-31-04 11:52 AM

The HKL discs are probably better if the case is no big deal to you. Personally, I would rather have better PQ and Audio than a good looking box.

http://www.hongkonglegends.co.uk/ind...category_id=17

AEspinoza1 03-31-04 12:00 PM

I have the HKL 30th Anniversary box. The PQ varies for each film. I'm not sure but it might have something to do with the original source material.

I really love this set and watch the discs as much as I can.

I thought I read somewhwere that the Korean release has DTS soundtracks??

I may double-dip if I hear that the Korean version has superior pic quality and audio but I have not really heard that to be the case.

Truffaut Fan 03-31-04 01:46 PM

The Korean set does have DTS but I haven't seen any reviews for the transfers yet. They are all anamorphic though. Way Of The Dragon is Cantonese only and I thought that one may have been shot in English.....I could be wrong though.

Jeff

mrhan 03-31-04 03:02 PM

Originally posted by Truffaut Fan
The Korean set does have DTS but I haven't seen any reviews for the transfers yet. They are all anamorphic though. Way Of The Dragon is Cantonese only and I thought that one may have been shot in English.....I could be wrong though.

Jeff

It was shot with no sound but the characters are definetly speaking Cantonese except for the gangsters who are speaking English. None of the actors voices are even used. Bruce actually uses his voice for one of the black actors in the film. The HKL version has both cantonese and english dubs.

Is the Korean version the longer cut like the HKL version? The longer cut has Bruce asking the little girl for ice cream, the restaurant scene where Bruce can't read the menu and orders 5 bowls of soup and the extended hooker scene where he ends up in her apartment. Plus, there's the running joke of him always looking for the bathroom.

MarkAtHome 03-31-04 03:11 PM

Here's info on the Korean gift set:

YesAsia.com

KoreanDVDs.com

If this is the version to get (undecided), where else can it be gotten -- preferrably at a lower cost... :-)

pat00139 03-31-04 08:54 PM

I ordered the HKL set about 2 months ago, but haven't gotten it yet. I can't compare.

However, I do have the Korean set. Where do I start? Yes, the Korean set has the longer cut. Yes, all the movies are dubbed over in Cantonese, but Game of Death is only in English.

Yes, all the movies have DTS and yes they're quite nice. The back speakers are used well. Everything is clear and clean. The picture quality is great. No scratches or anything like that. The colours wobble, but it's only a few times and when they do it's really not that much. I'm quite happy with the video and sound quality. I'm actually surprised.

On the other hand, the extras suck. There's the doc: The Man and the Legend; there's a 4-minute interview with some stars, although about 2 1/2 minutes of that interview is by Tung Wai who only speaks Cantonese and the only subs are Korean; and 11 minutes of unused footage from Game of Death. The unused stuff from Game of Death is really great, though.

I like extras, so the best would probably be the HKL set, but the packaging for the Korean set is so cool, and it's also NTSC.

If you wan to try to wade through the Korean websites, you can find it for less than US$50 (but I don't know how much shipping will cost).

http://www.dvd.co.kr/good_view.asp?gd=S0309230013
http://www.madmad.co.kr/detail.html?dvd_id=6528
http://www.dvdkorea.co.kr/DVD_Produc...?Inx_Num=48348

If your browser can't show Korean characters, you're gonna see some mighty funny symbols.

mrhan 03-31-04 10:22 PM

The HKL set also has the Japanese cut of the Game of Death footage by Artport. It runs for about 30-35 minutes. It is different from the Warrior's Journey cut and much cleaner; although they took some liberties with the dialogue. It is not anamorphic like the original Artport Japanese DVD release.

pat00139 04-01-04 10:52 AM

Okay, so this had to happen. I posted I didn't get the HKL set and the same day I get the thing.

I'm going away for the weekend so I can't compare anything now, but I'll do it next week, for sure. Any specific movie?

AEspinoza1 04-01-04 06:21 PM

pat00139 - :)

I would appreciate a comparison. I'm really tempted to click on the add to cart button for the Korean version.

Thanks!

jessebo 04-02-04 09:33 PM

so does the HKL set have a descent english audio track? unfortuneately, I don't speak cantonese. I'd wait for an american release, but bruce would probably return as one of the dawn of the dead zombies before that happens.

mrhan 04-02-04 09:41 PM

Yes, the HKL discs have both cantonese and english dubs with english subtitles.

jessebo 04-02-04 09:50 PM

Originally posted by mrhan
Yes, the HKL discs have both cantonese and english dubs with english subtitles.
cool, thanks I think I'm gonna pick the HKL set up...

pat00139 04-03-04 09:40 AM

jessebo, you know, you could always read the subs?

I'll take a look and compare the P/S quality next week when I have time, probably on Wednesday or Thursday. I'll post what I see and hear as soon as I can.

jessebo 04-04-04 06:18 PM

Originally posted by pat00139
jessebo, you know, you could always read the subs?

I'll take a look and compare the P/S quality next week when I have time, probably on Wednesday or Thursday. I'll post what I see and hear as soon as I can.

I know, but I enjoy watching movies and reading seperately. to combine them would be entirely too much enjoyment at one time. anyways, I ordered the HKL set today. I can't wait for it to get here...

asianxcore 04-05-04 07:50 PM

the HKL set is region 2 pal right? I was just wondering if that 4% speedup is bad on these discs. Just wanted to know before throwing down 60+ bucks for the set. Thanks!

Hendrik 04-05-04 09:09 PM

Originally posted by asianxcore
...I was just wondering if that 4% speedup is bad on these discs...
...it's simply awful... terrible...!... those squeeky helium voices...!... that scratchy, screechy music...!... the editing thrown totally, completely off-kilter by the 4% (actually: approximately 4%) speedup... just let it go, wait for the R1 release(s)...!...

. . . ...!... :o ...!... . . .

MarkAtHome 04-06-04 07:04 AM

Originally posted by pat00139
Yes, the Korean set has the longer cut. Yes, all the movies are dubbed over in Cantonese, but Game of Death is only in English.
So, the Korean set has English sub-titles, but is not dubbed in English, only Cantonese?

Truffaut Fan 04-06-04 09:48 AM

So, the Korean set has English sub-titles, but is not dubbed in English, only Cantonese?
Correct. The English dubs on these films are truly awful anyway.

mrhan 04-06-04 10:36 AM

Originally posted by Truffaut Fan
Correct. The English dubs on these films are truly awful anyway.
The Cantonese dubs are just as bad; they don't even use the real actors voices.

isamu 04-06-04 09:33 PM

Originally posted by mrhan
None of the actors voices are even used. Bruce actually uses his voice for one of the black actors in the film.
Are you serious?! :rotfl: Man that's hilarious! Was it the black guy with the funky mustache that says "I'd like some Chinese spare ribs." ? :lol:

Man I gotta get this set!

mrhan 04-07-04 01:38 AM

Originally posted by isamu
Are you serious?! :rotfl: Man that's hilarious! Was it the black guy with the funky mustache that says "I'd like some Chinese spare ribs." ? :lol:

Man I gotta get this set!

Yeah, I think it was the guy in red tank top. He also did the Russian's voice in Fist of Fury aka Chinese Connection.

Truffaut Fan 04-07-04 05:31 PM

The Cantonese dubs are just as bad; they don't even use the real actors voices.
While I would prefer the original Mandarin tracks, they apparently don't exist anymore. From what I've read the Mandarin tracks on the Universe releases were from newer Mandarin dubs made in the late 70s. The Cantonese tracks are still far preferable to the English dubs, even though they are still dubs. The English dubs give the films this silly, campy feel and I think it totally ruins the experience.

Jackie Chan uses his own voice in the English dub of Drunken Master II (someone else dubs his character in the Cantonese track) yet I don't know anyone who prefers watching that film in English.

glorafiedg 04-24-04 12:23 AM

Has anyone had a chance to compare the picture/sound quality for the 2 sets yet?

I still can't decide which one to get... I would like to purchase the set with the best picture/sound quality. I'm leaning towards the Korean NTSC version because of the DTS sound and because I'm not to sure how my multi-region player will handle the PAL conversion.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

onejune 04-24-04 10:40 AM

R3 Spectrum vs. R2 HKL

The Korean DVD site DVDPrime has a lengthy review of the Korean Spectrum set, and in the mid-part you will find a comparison between the Korean version (the upper ones) and the UK HKL set (the lower). The Korean set, which used the new Fortune Star remaster, obviously has better resolution, contrast and color.

Link
You will have to click the second of three columns right below the grades to see the whole review.