Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What's The Best Edition Of The Bruce Lee Collection?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

What's The Best Edition Of The Bruce Lee Collection?

Old 04-24-04, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by glorafiedg
Has anyone had a chance to compare the picture/sound quality for the 2 sets yet?

I still can't decide which one to get... I would like to purchase the set with the best picture/sound quality. I'm leaning towards the Korean NTSC version because of the DTS sound and because I'm not to sure how my multi-region player will handle the PAL conversion.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I picked up the HKL version, and the picture quality was real good. the sound was ok. my cyberhome dvd player played the pal conversion perfectly once I made the player region free. I attempted to burn a region free copy of it to see if I could play it in my pioneer player, but it didn't work to well. It made it region free, but I wasn't able to get it NTSC compatible, so the picture just rolled.. hope this helps a little..
Old 04-24-04, 01:30 PM

At this point it wouldn't hurt to wait one more week and see how IVL release turns out.

http://www.asiandvdguide.com/
Old 04-24-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by MrPeanut
At this point it wouldn't hurt to wait one more week and see how IVL release turns out.

http://www.asiandvdguide.com/

The set looks cool but they should of at least added the English track to ETD. That is the only film in which Bruce uses his own voice for the character he played. I think I'll stick to my HKL set and maybe pick up the the ETD SE that's coming out in May. I recently played the last WB release and it looks horrible on my 53" 16x9. Hopefully, they remastered that as well.
Old 04-24-04, 08:24 PM
Banned

Wow there's yet another ETD SE coming out in May? Is this a region 1 release? What extras wil it have?
Old 04-24-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was discussed here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...t=enter+dragon
Old 04-26-04, 07:19 PM

It's funny that no one has given the award hands down to the HKL releases of Lee's films. I had the earlier Korean boxed set of the Bruce Lee collection and the picture and sound quality all sucked.

In addition, the HKL boxed set has the special collector's edition of Way of the Dragon, which has some things the Platinum Edition doesn't but is also missing some that the latter does have.

As for Game of Death, I couldn't care less about it - I got the Aussie R4 version of A Warrior's Journey and that's enough for me.
Old 04-26-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by peter07
It's funny that no one has given the award hands down to the HKL releases of Lee's films. I had the earlier Korean boxed set of the Bruce Lee collection and the picture and sound quality all sucked.

In addition, the HKL boxed set has the special collector's edition of Way of the Dragon, which has some things the Platinum Edition doesn't but is also missing some that the latter does have.

As for Game of Death, I couldn't care less about it - I got the Aussie R4 version of A Warrior's Journey and that's enough for me.
Someone already mentioned a comparison between the two.

The Korean DVD site DVDPrime has a lengthy review of the Korean Spectrum set, and in the mid-part you will find a comparison between the Korean version (the upper ones) and the UK HKL set (the lower). The Korean set, which used the new Fortune Star remaster, obviously has better resolution, contrast and color.

Link

You will have to click the second of three columns right below the grades to see the whole review.
Judging by those images, the Korean release looks many times better than the HKL versions.
Old 04-29-04, 03:19 PM

Hmm, thanks for the link, but I think the bonuses on the HKL Legends edition make up for the inferior pic quality. Perhaps HKL will use the superior remastering one day.
Old 04-29-04, 04:56 PM

Just when you all thought the ultimate version had been released, well look again ...below is the link that takes you to the recent Hong Kong box set which also includes Enter the Dragon and Game of Death 2 and all in DTS sound too.

Still awaiting reviews but I am sure it is as good as the Korean release.

Link below

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept...ection-videos/
Old 04-29-04, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jonam
Just when you all thought the ultimate version had been released, well look again ...below is the link that takes you to the recent Hong Kong box set which also includes Enter the Dragon and Game of Death 2 and all in DTS sound too.

Still awaiting reviews but I am sure it is as good as the Korean release.

Link below

I hope some reviews come out soon. I have the KR set on order, and it will be shipped with Oldboy (5/12), so I might change my order to include the HK release instead.

I'll probably go with the KR release, unless the HK releases are much better. Since I want to get the R1 of "Enter The Dragon", and I can just get "Game of Death 2" seperately.

Last edited by flashburn; 04-29-04 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-17-04, 12:01 AM

Just a clarification, the HKL box set has the Platinum Edition of Game of Death (2-disk), but Way of the Dragon and the rest are one disk. The single disks HKL sells on their site is the same.

Anyway, I got the IVL set with me. It's basically the same friggin' thing as the Korean set (well, apart from the 2 extra movies).

Here are the differences: All the extras on the IVL set are shoved onto the 7th disk. The trailers and slideshows are exactly the same on both sets. The 'Collector's cut' of Game of Death is the same as the unseen footage from the Korean set, roughly 11 1/2 minutes of outtakes and otherwise unused footage. The IVL set does have 3 minutes of NG shots that the Korean set doesn't have. It also has the alternate opening credits to Enter the Dragon, which are pretty much the same with the existing opening credits to Enter the Dragon. The celebrity interviews section is about twice as long on the IVL set, which has more interviews, not really longer ones. (That's not to say it's really more substantial; it's not even 10 minutes long.) It DOES have English subs if you want them, and some interviews are in Cantonese, so that's a definite improvement over the Korean set. The Korean set has the doc, which the IVL set is lacking. However, the IVL set has a 32-page booklet in Cantonese and English, while the Korean one is only in Korean. I don't know if both booklets say the same yet, so I can't tell you that.

As for picture/sound, I didn't compare, but I'm guessing they're pretty much direct ports of the same source (even the menu designs on both sets are the same). However, the IVL sets offer the original Cantonese (or English) language tracks in mono on all movies (in addition to the remixes), whereas you only get the 5.1 remixes on the Korean set.

Overall, what you really pay for is the 2 extra movies. When it comes to extras, the clear-cut winner is IVL, there's not even a question of competition there. For picture and sound, then it's your choice, but you get Enter the Dragon with the IVL set. If you're planning on buying the Enter the Dragon SE, then get the Korean set. Game of Death 2 is a nice movie but it's not a Bruce Lee movie. You can miss it and nothing would be lost, or, find it for a cheap price and get the Korean set. I wanted the movie because I'm a Yuen Woo-Ping completist and his clan worked on the movie.

Last edited by pat00139; 05-17-04 at 12:08 AM.
Old 05-19-04, 10:24 PM

Is this the IVL set that you are referring to?

Old 05-19-04, 11:15 PM

Yep. I mean, there's only one IVL set, so...
Old 05-22-04, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up the IVL set..and very nice it is too....however upon removing the Way Of The Dragon disc again the other day....it now has a huge crack as it was held far too tightly (i am very careful with how i remove discs) so was wondering, as i don't want to buy the whole set again...can the individual titles be purchased separately?
Old 05-23-04, 11:14 AM

I noticed the same thing. I'm kind of scared to remove the disk from the holder. The design of the box to hold the disk is really bad. Hong Kong really has bad designs for DVD boxes. Either too flimsy or too tight...

I'd guess if you really want Way of the Dragon, you'd have to buy the whole set again, or find another company's DVD. Too bad it wasn't Game of Death that broke, then you wouldn't have worry about getting a new movie. That movie's such a mistake, sometimes I want to break my DVD.
Old 05-26-04, 03:49 AM

If anybody is interested, there is a german site with reports of cuts for lots of movies.

www.ofdb.de

its in german but it has often pictures of the cuts (schnittberichte) and has the different versions of the movie listed.
Old 05-26-04, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by pat00139
I'd guess if you really want Way of the Dragon, you'd have to buy the whole set again
Yes....that's what i figured after i couldn't seem to come across the individual titles being listed anywhere
Old 05-28-04, 09:14 AM
Banned

Whats the deal with this release?

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

I already have a box with all these films I imported from Hong Kong, but if these versions are better, I would be tempted. Any reviews on this set, or does anyone have it?
Old 05-28-04, 11:13 AM

It's the EXACT SAME set. You just get a t-shirt and a canister (looks like a thermos). It's just an extra incentive to buy from HKflix. I haven't seen this anywhere else. Personally, I'd forget the shirt and thermos, I think they look hideous. Besides, Hkflix's markup is disgusting.
Old 05-29-04, 11:27 AM

It's just an extra incentive to buy from HKflix. I haven't seen this anywhere else.
Just to clarify.. YesAsia sells this 'deluxe' edition as well, right here. And for the same price as HKflix. Is it worth an extra 20 bucks? Not to me..
Old 05-29-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has FOX started to sell their versions? If you look at the pic in this link it has the same cover as the IVL versions. They look barebones but if the pic is mastered the same I will go for these; since I already have the HKL versions . Much cheaper than the IVL discs and will look great on my HDTV.

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=FXD021559
Old 05-30-04, 01:35 AM

Oops, didn't know yesasia was selling the same. Sorry. Guess I should look around before say something. Anyway, I still don't think it's worth it.

As for the deepdiscountdvd Game of Death 2, can you have any more sketchy information than that? Amazon says released May 25th. I think it's part of the new batch of Fox HK movies, along with Operation Scorpio (which I'll buy), The Prodigal Son, Royal Warriors and The Young Master. As for the rest of the Bruce Lee movies, the only version Fox has released for the past 5 years is the crappy set that nobody likes. It also looks like there's no remastered editions coming out in the near future.

Get the IVL set, it's worth it and I'd rather support IVL than Fox.
Old 05-30-04, 04:30 AM
Banned

Game of Death II is one of those Fox releases that came out on the 25th along with Prodigal Son, Royal Warriors, and a couple others. I'm sure the quality is very good but I hear that movie sucks so I didn't bother.
Old 05-30-04, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

... Get the IVL set, it's worth it and I'd rather support IVL than Fox.
Too true. i'm glad i held off on the Korean set, although - and i'm being nit-picky here, sorry - i do wish that IVLs Ultimate Edition set had similar packaging.
The thing is, part of me is afraid there's going to be an Extreme Edition sometime down the road... i can already see myself Quad-dipping on this collection.
Old 05-30-04, 12:39 PM

I've got 3 editions, the HKL, Korean and IVL sets. I don't regret anything. Believe me, there isn't going to be any extreme edition of these movie. I heard that later in the summer, some new editions will come out of these movies (The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, Way of the Dragon and Game of Death) by a company whose name I forget now (and whose name I'd never heard of before). They won't be available in a box set, but they will be available individually. They're supposed to be good (remastered, bunch of extras, things like that) but I don't know if the extras will be new or not.

As for the Fox set, unless they get a clue, they will not do anything to their existing crappy set. I doubt they'll get a clue. They're dubtitling their new HK releases, so that's never a good sign. I doubt they'll show any more respect to Bruce Lee.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.