Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Trigger's Shipments and Reviews...

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Trigger's Shipments and Reviews...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-04, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's also know as Woman in Romance.

Kind of quirky yet compelling to watch. Hard to describe. A husband and wife run a bakery. The husband is driven by his baking, the wife is unhappy and starts to have an affair with a struggling writer who visits the bakery with the husband's encouragement.

Not for everyone, but like I said compelling. Everytime I start watching it, I get sucked in.

I found this lengthy review:
http://www.koreanfilms.host.sk/bakery.html

Last edited by dleedlee; 05-07-04 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-07-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I don't remember if I saw that or not, but I am getting kinda sick of yesasia offering these movies for free that i had to pay for. Bleh
Old 05-07-04, 01:37 PM

Yeah, but the freebies are the HK versions right? I don't buy as many KR movies as you do but I check to see what the freebie is and if I don't want it I leave it on my wish list until they change it to something I don't have.
Old 05-07-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah - sometimes though I have some limited edition in my cart and if i don't order it, they'll run out.
Old 05-21-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Caught 3 last night... if anyone wants expanded comments, just ask.

Ju-on 2 - better than the first. Creepier, less silly, better plot weave. 7.5/10

Elixur of Love - cute and funny, good production value, coherent plot. Very enjoyable. 7.5/10

Silver Hawk - disappointment. Not horrible, but not good either. Nice to see Yeoh back, but *yawn*. stunt-double-licious. 5.5/10 (merely average).

Dogville - fell asleep within 10 minutes... my roommate fell asleep by act 3. wish someone had told me it was a dull play so I could prepare myself.
Old 06-27-04, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched a couple... like usual, let me know if you want me to expand...

Samaria - Korea

It was pretty stupid. It had some decent acting in parts, but the story wasn't fleshed out enough in parts and overdone in others. It did have some really nice location shots though. His movies are meant to be brutal and apparently people either love them or hate them. I actually loved The Isle and had mixed feelings about Bad Guy - this one is just average. I have a few of his movies on DVD that I haven't seen yet, so I'll have to get on it. This one gets a 5/10 from me. He likes to make tragic films it would seem, but he's not really making me give a shit about the characters much. Rental is my suggestion although others will probably disagree.

_____________________-

The Twilight Samurai - Japan

This one was quite good actually... it moved at a very slow and steady pace, but it was very compelling and never boring. It's about a samurai who was working in a supply storage part of town during a time of peace. He was one of the lowest paid samurai in the clan and he had to take care of a sick wife, 2 daughters and a mother who had alzheimers. He was also in alot of debt. Other samurai kinda make fun of him because he works so hard he doesn't ever have time to bathe and tidy himself up, so he stinks. Anyhow, the story is about him and his family... it's good stuff - I don't wanna give anything away. I laughed, I cried... it was better than Cats. Worth picking up I think. 8/10
Old 06-28-04, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring tonight... I liked it alot better than Samaria. It was one of the most beautifully filmed movies I've ever seen... the landscape is amazing. The story was very simple and the ending was abrupt (as usual), but this one was very compelling and well rounded. I liked it and give it an 8/10.
Old 07-01-04, 06:37 AM

Originally posted by Trigger
[B]Watched a couple... like usual, let me know if you want me to expand...

Samaria - Korea

It was pretty stupid. It had some decent acting in parts, but the story wasn't fleshed out enough in parts and overdone in others. It did have some really nice location shots though. His movies are meant to be brutal and apparently people either love them or hate them. I actually loved The Isle and had mixed feelings about Bad Guy - this one is just average. I have a few of his movies on DVD that I haven't seen yet, so I'll have to get on it. This one gets a 5/10 from me. He likes to make tragic films it would seem, but he's not really making me give a shit about the characters much. Rental is my suggestion although others will probably disagree.
i just watched this last night, and i couldn't agree more with you. perhaps i don't have the grasp on korean culture needed to appreciate why characters are motivated to do the things they do, but a lot of the stuff people did in the film didn't make much sense to me. very poor acting as well, imho. i hadn't seen any other kim ki-duk films, but i'm still interested in his other stuff, like bad guy and real fiction. i just have to track them down!