Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jet Li and Jackie Chan in a movie together

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-04, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Well... don't get too excited, it isn't gonna happen yet... I was thinking about this the other day and then I ran into a video interview with Jet Li recently talking about his new PS2 video game Rise To Honor where he is asked this question... in the interview, he states that he and Jackie were going to do one in 94 in HK, but it never happened and that they have been talking for the past 3 years several times about the subject. He even said that people had written scripts for the project. He says he and Jackie are good friends and that they both want to do a movie together.

I personally would love to see it... if for nothing else than just to have it on film. It doesn't even have to be a good movie. As far as I can figure, the closest thing these two have done to being in the same movie is the fact that they've both played Wong Fei Hung and that Jet did Once Upon a Time in China and America and then Jackie did basically almost the same movie with Shanghai Noon a few years later.

Just thought I'd start a discussion about such a project - maybe someone has more info about it, maybe something Jackie said or something from one of their websites or a studio memo or a script. Or maybe someone wants to say it's a bad idea... whatever. Anything goes.
Old 03-19-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So that rumor about some discord between Jackie & Jet because of High Risk was just that - a rumor? i hope so, because that would be a potentially great team-up. Of course, they could kill two birds with one stone by having a cinematic reunion of Jackie, Yuen, & Sammo with Jet along for the ride.
Old 03-19-04, 10:42 AM

Trigger,
Did you do your homework? Jacky Chan did the Drucken Master long Before Jet Li did The Once Upon a time in China. They both starred the Wong Fei-hung character in the movies. And Shanghai Noon is a totally difference story.
Old 03-19-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
I'd like to see Jackie and Jet play Hung Hsi-Kuan and Fang Shih Yu.

Of course, Jet has already played Fang Shih yU.
Old 03-19-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Moon33
Trigger,
Did you do your homework? Jacky Chan did the Drucken Master long Before Jet Li did The Once Upon a time in China. They both starred the Wong Fei-hung character in the movies. And Shanghai Noon is a totally difference story.
of course - you just didn't pay close enough attention to what I said.

I said that both have played Wong Fei Hung. I didn't say Jet or Jackie played the part first. I just didn't say. All I said was that Jet did Once Upon a Time in China and AMERICA before Shanghai Noon and that they were alot alike. I never said Shanghai Noon was the same as Once Upon a Time in China. I also never said Wong Fei Hung was in Shanghai Noon. I mean, if you've seen Once Upon a Time in China and America, you should see the similarities between it and Shanghai Noon...

Anyway - he did say he and Jackie were good friends, so apparently, there is no rivalry or hatred. Jackie seems to have a good sense of humor about himself - hasn't he since worked with other crew memebers from High Risk? I found the interview on IGN.com in the insider section. I don't know if it's available to non-insiders.
Old 03-19-04, 09:59 PM

Trigger,
My mistake. I didn't read your writing carefully. I didn't see Shanghai Noon. In fact I didn't catch a Jackie Chan movie in more than 10 years.
Old 03-19-04, 10:04 PM

This has what to do with DVD's?
Old 03-20-04, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by PinwiZ
This has what to do with DVD's?
nothing... why? Are you trying to earn a moderator cub scout badge or something? This forum is for international DVD and movie discussion as far as I know. I guess you could report it if you feel it is misplaced and if Benedict thinks it belongs somewhere else he can move it. Otherwise, I don't see how posts like this add any value to the discussion.

Anyway - I'm still looking for something about such a project... I found this... it's old, but it's something. This is from yahoo movies
Release Date: Unknown; that will depend upon when (if) filming actually does get started.

Distributor: Columbia Pictures (Sony)

Production Company: Revolution Studos (The One, Tomcats, The New Guy); executive produced by stars Jackie Chan and Jet Li

Cast: Jackie Chan, Jet Li; other cast not announced yet

Cast Notes: (7/19/01) Although Chan and Li are two of the three biggest stars the Hong Kong film community has ever produced (the third, arguably either #1 or #2 of the three, is Chow Yun-Fat), they have never starred in a film together... until this project, which is sure to be one of the most highly anticipated action films of 2003.

Director: Not announced yet.

Screenwriter: Robert Mark Kamen (The Karate Kid, The Karate Kid II; cowriter of The Fifth Element, Lethal Weapon 3, Kiss of the Dragon; also has A Tibetan Monk in New York coming soon) Jackie Chan and Jet Li will also be heavily involved with the story's development.

Premise: No details about the plot have been revealed yet (7/19/01), except that it's an action film (big surprise there).

Filming: Production was originally scheduled to start in the fall of 2002, but that's since been postponed/cancelled. There's no current word about when filming might be rescheduled.

Genre: Action, Eye Candy, Martial Arts

Official Actor Site: JetLi.com

Message Board: Share your thoughts on our "Untitled Jackie Chan/Jet Li Project" Message Board
I also found a more recent blurb on a greenlit Jackie Chan project that seems to have Jet Li linked on countingdown.com. They had a brief synopsis saying it's about a ming dynasty warrior who travels through a time portal. Who knows.
Old 03-20-04, 10:34 AM

Trigger, that Jackie Chan project was called... Time Breaker. Last I read, it was supposed to start shooting in March. Dunno if that happened, though. It's the first movie Jackie Chan and Stanley Tong do since Mr. Chan made it big.

As for the Jet Li/Jackie Chan project, I read a long time ago it was going to be some sort of Midnight Run remake. I wouldn't count on that project, though. Jackie Chan's schedule is insane for the next year or two, and Jet Li's doing another few movies, so IF it happens, it'll start being done in about 2 or 3 years. That's what I think, anyway.

In any case, I'd buy the DVD. (See, this thread IS about DVDs. )
Old 03-20-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd buy the DVD too... Actually, I'd get the Korean SE though. (there, now it's about international DVDs).

I hope Time Breaker doesn't turn out like Jackie's last few efforts. I also hope that if they're gonna do a movie together that they do it soon... Jet sounds like he's ready to retire soon.
Old 03-20-04, 09:35 PM

Jet's young enough but Jackie's getting a bit on the older side of stunts.

I also read that the pre-production for Time Breaker went on longer than it should have to figure out ways to trim down the CG and up the live action stunts. I guess Medallion was good for something. Taught Jackie, don't do CG.

Actually both of these guys should ditch Hollywood big time and go back to Hong Kong. (Only exception would be working with Luc Besson.)
Old 03-21-04, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm with you on that one - I'd love to see all of em go back to Hong Kong and restore HK cinema to the glory it once was. Hollywood has taken too much interest in asian talent lately... and they don't give them due respect.

I don't agree that jackie is gettin too old though. He's 50 now and Jet is 41. Hell, Tak-Hing Kwan was older than Jet is now when he started playing Wong Fei Hung in the movies and he continued to do it well into his 70s. Jackie's not too old, he's just at the point where he can't 'up the ante' anymore... he's gonna have to dial it back some. He can still kick much ass though. He's more fit than I'll ever be and he'll be able to pull off some wicked kung-fu in his movies - he just won't be throwing himself off a building into a cardboard box as much anymore.
Old 04-01-04, 10:48 AM

Okay, but Kwan Tak-Hing wasn't nearly as exciting as Jackie when they were making movies together. I have to admit that Mr. Kwan had the best fight in both Magnificent Butcher and Dreadnaught, but that's mostly because of the Yuens' perfect choreography and the editing. Don't get me wrong, Mr. Kwan's dead and he could still kick my ass, but when you get to 50, there's no way you can compete with someone who's 25.

Just compare Liu Chia-Liang and Wu Jing from Drunken Monkey. Mr. Lau's okay, but Wu Jing is so much faster.

Anyway, what worries me about Jackie is that he'll start relying on CGI too much. Jet Li's awesome but he's done way too much wirework in his career, so seeing him in The One is just like an extension of some of his previous works (albeit the movie kind of bites). However, Jackie Chan's always boasted that he's done all his own stunts (or, other people boasted this for him).

I lost my point...

Okay, I'm gonna dare to veer this thing completely off-topic: who do you think's the next dude that's gonna come out of Hong Hong martial arts flicks and make it big internationally? Something that's not really fun is that in the past year or two, martial arts flicks have mostly had popstars and not martial artists in them. There was Drunken Monkey, then what? Okay, I like Twins Effect like the next guy, but there's a difference between seeing Charlene Choi and Gillian Chung fight with rubber sticks and seeing Wu Jing take on a dozen bad guys. Personlly, I can't even answer my own question. It's probably gonna be some 16-year old still in martial arts school that a studio's gonna catch, market the hell out of and then release his movie.

In any case, I'd buy the DVD... (okay, not so funny this time...)
Old 04-02-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally posted by pat00139
[B]Okay, I'm gonna dare to veer this thing completely off-topic: who do you think's the next dude that's gonna come out of Hong Hong martial arts flicks and make it big internationally?
Whoever it was that doubled as Lau Kar Leung.