Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Battlefield Baseball Tornado Edition - Japanese Region 2 Review

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-04, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can find our indepth review of Battlefield Baseball Tornado Edition here.

For what it's worth, it wasn't what I was expecting - very little action and virtually no baseball; but the comedy is very funny, vrey Python-esque. A Versus / Shaolin Soccer beater it ain't, but it is definitely worth a watch if you enjoy a good slap-stick comedy.
Old 03-12-04, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Thanks for the review. Based on your description, it doesn't seem to be the film I was expecting either, but I'm still curious to see it (as I do like Python type comedy). Can you or anyone post a pic of the Kubrick figure that comes with the set? I collect the damn things, and would like to check it out.
Old 03-12-04, 11:22 PM

Yes, Thank you for the review of BB. Was wondering more and more about the movie the more i saw infomation on it. May need to think about the import now.
Old 03-13-04, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, very little baseball indeed, I really liked the movie nonetheless, I wasn't getting it for the baseball. I got it cause I wanted a Tak Sakaguchi comedy. It was very manga-like, I think I even liked it more than Shaolin Soccer. Maybe that's just because my Japanese is a lot better than my Cantonese, the latter of which I know none of. If you know Japanese, there are a couple more jokes you get in Battllefield Baseball. I like that there are the Napalm Films regulars and it was sort of pythonesque.

I read the other review and I guess I would agree that it's not worth getting the Super Tornado Box unless you speak Japanese, as disc 2 doesn't have any subtitles. Though I imagine it would still be sort of entertaining.

As far as international recognition, it probably didn't help that it had multiple names. On the box, it is called "Battlefield Baseball". In the movie, when the titles come up, it is called "Battlefield Stadium". Because of this, I put it on my shelf by its Japanese title "Jigoku Koushien" which is literally "Hell High School World Series". So for all the people who can't decide to put it on their shelf before or after the John Travolta masterpiece "Battlefield Earth" you can do the same. Personally, I don't have Battlefield Earth, so I can rest easy at night not moving this movie back and forth.

Also, the subtitles are pretty accurate, except that a few people are subtitled as if their title is their name. The principal is subtitled as if he is named "kocho", which is literally "principal" and the blonde guy is subtitled "bancho" which is "gang leader". It would have been nice if they used "principal" or "gang leader" or explained what the Japanese words meant before using them, but you can't have everything. Oh yeah, and the subtitles at the beginning where the white guy talks do not match what he is saying.

As for the Kubrick, I think they are all different, you won't know which you're getting until you get it. Mine had the grandma from the Mentaro Ramen side story thing.

Talking about it has put me in the mood to watch it again, this time with the commentary. If you like, I can post some of the more interesting bits here.

Last edited by Crazy Aoshi; 03-13-04 at 04:15 AM.
Old 03-13-04, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I want it, but I'm gonna wait for a HK or Korean release. 40 bucks is a bit steep.
Old 03-13-04, 09:26 AM

the Kubrick doll I got was appauling!!!! a naked old lady with saggy tits! really crap, a waste of time and money and a pathetic box set in every way, cheap and nasty and a piece of crap.

good job the films great. I will be ebaying the bugger in the future as the packaging is just the worst thing I have ever bought, ever!
Old 03-13-04, 09:27 AM

and its NAKED GUN humor, more than anything else, they basically copy straight from Naked Gun in many, many ways. Which aint a bad thing really.
Old 03-14-04, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Originally posted by Romerojpg
the Kubrick doll I got was appauling!!!! a naked old lady with saggy tits!
Woah, never mind then. If thats one figure that I have a chance on getting with the box set, I'll pass (and with my luck, thats the one I'd get). It doesn't sound quite as cool as my other Kubricks.
Old 03-14-04, 04:05 AM

I got this set and I'm happy. I also thought that there were many kubrick figures but I think they're all the same. That figure in the filmographies, I suppose, is just for the DVD.

Crazy Aoshi, I'm really interested in what's different between the intro's dialogue and subtitles. I'd also be interested in the commentary's nice parts. I can translate whatever French extras you want in return. Thanks.

Last edited by pat00139; 03-14-04 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-14-04, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The intro:
Good evening, I'm Mangatarou. Today, I thought I'd help out some director, who stupidly wanted to make my worthless comic into a movie, and release a DVD too. I haven't seen the movie yet, so how could I support him? Well of course it's not boring, it's based on my story. Don't group it together with other stupid movies. I was told to praise it cause I had something to do with it. Oh, by the way, [here's where he starts talking about the film festival in English, this is where the English and the subtitles become significantly different] I hear it was a big hit in theatres. It's all thanks to me. Anyway, enjoy viewing it. Buy 100 DVDs, burn them all. Buy another 100. Then I bet the DVD will be a big hit too. Thank you.

This video was made for the 2002 Tokyo Fantastic Film Festival Event, but the subtitles were changed for this release. Furthermore, the two Mangatarous who appear in this video are according to the creator's imagination.

Last edited by Crazy Aoshi; 03-14-04 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-14-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
so is that vastly different from the way it is on the DVD?
Old 03-15-04, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well it's not vastly different, but the English dude doesnt talk about DVDs but the subs do. And claiming the success was all thanks to him was unique to the subs as well. Just like that screen full of text said at the end of the intro, the subtitles were changed for the dvd release.