Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Foreign Film Recommendations

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Foreign Film Recommendations

Old 03-14-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great news Yocke .....looking forward to it!

Cheers,
Pro-B
Old 03-16-04, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by Psychlowne
peter07: Yeah, good call. I was planning on joining an online rental service but I'm kind of torn between which one. Netflix, I've heard, has the best turnaround time, but GreenCine seems to offer a lot more odd genre films -- at least they claim to. I haven't done extensive research on GreenCine so I'm not certain.

If you suggest Netflix though, then Netflix it is! Thanks for the picks. I appreciate it

Thanks to pro-bassoonist, also!
You MUST take into account turnaround time. If they are slow in getting you your DVDs, then you are wasting your money. Netflix has the largest selection overall and at least 20 distribution centers nationwide. I also am a member of hitflix.com and so far, their customer service and turnaround time leave a lot to be desired (and I'm probably gonna cancel that membership after my month is over).
Old 03-16-04, 01:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Yocke
I just saw and liked the Swedish contribution to this years academy awards, Ondskan (Evil). It will be released here in Sweden on dvd on the 17th, and the main feature will be subtitled in English. Highly recommended.

yeah you would think with a nomination that a stateside release might be guarenteed, oh well, hope that nicheflix can rent this out.

Last edited by Giles; 03-16-04 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-16-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

YES....the pilot trailer is on at Apple
Old 03-16-04, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by peter07
You MUST take into account turnaround time. If they are slow in getting you your DVDs, then you are wasting your money. Netflix has the largest selection overall and at least 20 distribution centers nationwide. I also am a member of hitflix.com and so far, their customer service and turnaround time leave a lot to be desired (and I'm probably gonna cancel that membership after my month is over).
Well I took the plunge: From the time they "shipped," it took 1 day. I guess my turnaround will be around 2 days, so I can't complain with that!

I added most of the suggested titles to my queue so I'll definitely let you know how these work out. This time around I picked up Cries and Whispers (Bergman), The Housekeeper, and The Spanish Apartment.
Old 03-17-04, 03:46 AM

Tell me what you think about the Spanish Apartment
I find the movie quite ~fresh~ and it was pretty cool after all the action movies I used to see
Old 03-17-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Juduth Godreche is a beauty to behold!!

see Parlez moi-d'Amour
Old 03-17-04, 01:47 PM

I thought the Flight Attendant was hot!

My thoughts on the film are in my first post.
Old 03-17-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Under the Sun was pretty good which I saw this past weekend...
Old 03-17-04, 09:22 PM

The City of Lost Children was directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, who also directed Amélie. It's quite a bit darker than Amélie, and he plays around a little more with odd camera angles and special effects, but it's very good. Highly recommended.

You may have seen Run Lola Run already (it's reasonably well-known for a foreign film) but if not it's also well worth a rental. IMHO Tykwer's follow-up The Princess and the Warrior is not quite as good, but it's by no means a bad film, and you'll probably like it more than I did if you're into dark romances.

Avalon is another good film from an accomplished director, but be warned that the subtitles on the R1 DVD are abysmal. (They match the poorly-done English dub rather than the original Polish script, so you get things like subtitles appearing where nobody's talking in the original Polish version.)

Last edited by GHackmann; 03-17-04 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-18-04, 04:12 AM

If you're into "easy" film, i don't really know how to describe them ;p, there's "Le Papillon" (The Butterfly)... kind of story about life, if you see what i mean...

For now, on screen, we have "Confidences trop intimes". I'm afraid i won't have time to go to theaters for it, but the cast seems good (F.Lucchini and can't remember her name)... storyline : she knocks at the wrong door. She thought it was her new psy but he's not. And she tells him everything... speak, speak, speak... He knows that she thinks she's talking to a psy that he is not. But he doesn't mention it. He tries to fake it.
That's all I know about the movie
Maybe kind of psycho movie... ;p
Old 03-18-04, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by haclong

For now, on screen, we have "Confidences trop intimes". I'm afraid i won't have time to go to theaters for it, but the cast seems good (F.Lucchini and can't remember her name)...
You cant remember Sandrine Bonnaire???...hmmmm....Femme Fatale anyone?

From the more recent ones....these three I would love to see, yet again we have to hope that they show up on DVD with subs over here....o, well.....I am on my Italian fix currently anyway so....but how could you not think of Monica??
I will be picking all of these when they show up anyway....with or without subs.....

Did you see Blueberry then?? How was Cassel?? We are still waiting for it in the US.....

Cheers,
Pro-B
Old 03-19-04, 04:18 AM

I will try to go to watch Agents secrets. The plot intested me a lot... But for Blueberry... The trailer was too much weird... Actually, trailer was fine with me, until the CG sequence in the end... maybe too much for me... So I didn't go to see this one -_- sorry hehe . I would like to watch Confidences trop intimes, but as I said earlier, I have to make choices... beside, I'll be in Italy for one week... That's a lot of time wasted for movie hihi... I guess i'm gonna miss a lot for this month...

For my part, i'm looking for The Missing, Les Choristes (with Jugnot), The runaway jury, Osama, Deux frères (two brothers... hm, movie with two tiggers ;p from Annaud), Big Fish... That's for all I can remember for now

I know for sure that I have already missed Disney's Brother Bear...

Haven't heard about Les Marins Perdus...
Old 03-22-04, 07:30 PM
Banned

if you're into the slightly dark arena (but not all ), check some of the following:

The Vanishing
The Night Porter
Insomnia (Swedish)
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Element of Crime

even though you mentioned european interest only, i'm still going to mention one other, from Korea: JSA.
Old 04-02-04, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I've updated my first post with the films that I've watched so far (that were suggested here). I've left a short little response and rating with each one.

Thanks again!