Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Virgin Megastores now carrying imports

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 03-06-04, 04:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was browsing the foreign film DVD shelves at the Virgin in Union Square and was happy to discover an entire section of import titles. Picked up the R2 "Human Traffic: Remixed Edition" for a whopping $10.95 (I was expecting the cashier to tell me the disc was mispriced, but that's the way it rang up when she scanned the bar code).

The selection wasn't huge - maybe 40 titles in all - but it's a start. Let's hope they sell well enough for them to start stocking more.
Old 03-06-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm really surprised that Virgin would carry DVDs from other regions if for no other than reason than avoiding customer confusion. Were there big warning signs that these discs wouldn't play on R1 players?
Old 03-06-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
doubt the Virgin store in AZ would have such a section.
Old 03-06-04, 05:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Were there big warning signs that these discs wouldn't play on R1 players?
Yep, each disc carries a big red sticker that says a multi-region player is required, etc. The cashier also asked me if I had a multi-region player.
Old 03-06-04, 05:23 PM
Banned

Re: Virgin Megastores now carrying imports

Originally posted by Rusty James
Was browsing the foreign film DVD shelves at the Virgin in Union Square
The selection wasn't huge - maybe 40 titles in all - but it's a start. Let's hope they sell well enough for them to start stocking more.
Rusty...I'll definitely have to check it out. Do you know which regions they stocked? Did they only carry foreign films?
Old 03-06-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll have to check their Times Square store tomorrow - I'll post what's there, if nobody beats me to it.
Old 03-06-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Just to confirm - I called the Virgin in Arizona and they said they don't carry any DVDs from any region other than 1 - he knew what I was talking about too and suggested that such a thing would only be in larger metropolitan stores like in NY or LA. I asked if there were any plans for it in the future and he said probably not because there wasn't a demand for it here. Oh well.
Old 03-06-04, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn. AZ doesnt get jack.
Old 03-06-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I will check this out tomorrow...
Old 03-06-04, 08:04 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Virgin Megastores now carrying imports

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
Do you know which regions they stocked? Did they only carry foreign films?
They seemed to be mostly R2s, although I wasn't really checking regions. It wasn't only foreign-language films - the one I bought is in English. They had like 20 copies of some Robbie Williams concert, and the rest were mostly movies. Battle Royale is the only one I can remember now. The selection was nowhere near as good as the one at Kim's Video on St. Mark's, though.
Old 03-07-04, 02:46 AM
Banned

Kim's doesn't stock the movies I'm interested in. I have to go to Chinatown for that. I'm assuming Virgin has the same type stock.
Old 03-07-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The Times Square store does indeed now have a "Region 2" section, located right near the cashiers in the DVD departemnt.

As mentioned in the original post, the selection is meagre, and about 40 titles seems close. Some of the titles I noticed: Trainspotting, Tin Drum, Salo, Delicatessen, Hard Boiled - all priced at $38.95. Considereing that something like Trainspotting can be had for less than half that including shippping from the U.K., this may be only a Shopping for the Rich and Stupid option.

To be fair, there were a few titles at $10.95, including Damage and Secrets and Lies.

It's convenient for me to stop in every now and then, but for those whose Virgin stores are not carrying these, you're not really missing out on anything.
Old 03-08-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by marty888
The Times Square store does indeed now have a "Region 2" section, located right near the cashiers in the DVD departemnt.

As mentioned in the original post, the selection is meagre, and about 40 titles seems close. Some of the titles I noticed: Trainspotting, Tin Drum, Salo, Delicatessen, Hard Boiled - all priced at $38.95. Considereing that something like Trainspotting can be had for less than half that including shippping from the U.K., this may be only a Shopping for the Rich and Stupid option.

To be fair, there were a few titles at $10.95, including Damage and Secrets and Lies.

It's convenient for me to stop in every now and then, but for those whose Virgin stores are not carrying these, you're not really missing out on anything.
Wow, those DVD's at 38.95 are really way overpriced. Best Buy is doing the same thing with Brazil R0 music DVD's, charging more for 1 DVD that for what I can get 2 shipped from Brazil.
Old 03-09-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, guys, you forget that Virgin is almost always horribly over-priced.

I was gonna buy Season 2 of 'The Office', but it was $40. Then I saw they had the Ricky Gervais stand-up film, which is only like an hour long or so. Also $40. (At least the other DVD was two discs!) They had a few things I might possibly be interested in, but I'd never buy 'em from Virgin. It's like their Criterion section. Really nice to look at, but always cheaper anywhere else.