Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Can anyone tell me the best place & version to order Twilight Samurai & Zatoichi?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Can anyone tell me the best place & version to order Twilight Samurai & Zatoichi?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've posted here a few times mentioning I just go my first all-region DVD player so I'm new to this.

What would be the best version of Twilight Samurai to order & from what website, I looked at Amazon Japan but couldn't find it. Also, the same thing with he new remake of Zatoichi? It's seems there is only one version out right now, would I be better holding off for a better release? As always, help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-04-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
I ordered Zatoichi from amazon.jp. Its still a pre-order, so its 20% off retail price (so its around 3000 yen or about $27.00 plus shipping). I'm not sure if a better release will surface in the future, but the first pressing of this one has a bonus disc with a making of featurette and interviews. Not sure about Twilight Samurai yet, but I'll probably look into getting that one too.
Old 03-04-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by cultshock
I ordered Zatoichi from amazon.jp. Its still a pre-order, so its 20% off retail price (so its around 3000 yen or about $27.00 plus shipping). I'm not sure if a better release will surface in the future, but the first pressing of this one has a bonus disc with a making of featurette and interviews. Not sure about Twilight Samurai yet, but I'll probably look into getting that one too.
Could you post a link to it from amazon.co.jp?

Thanks
Old 03-04-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by flashburn
Could you post a link to it from amazon.co.jp?

Thanks
Yeah, I'm wondering if this is like the Kill Bill box set. I searched for it at amazon.jp, but it doesn't turn up, so I think it may be sold out. cdjapan has it though but it's a lot more expensive.

It comes up to just over $50 with shipping, which is way too much for me to spend on 1 DVD, & the site doesn't say anything about release date or extras on the disc, which is why I didn't order it from them, not to sure how reliable they are.

Last edited by Sessa17; 03-04-04 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-04-04, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here is the link:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...748084-2674754

Its not sold out, but I know that sometimes it is tricky finding stuff on amazon.jp, especially if you can't read Japanese. I would recommend amazon over cdjapan, beacause its 20% cheaper and cdjapan is a bit more expensive for shipping and handling fees.
Old 03-04-04, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THE TWILIGHT SAMURAI is listed under "Tasogare Seibei". AFAIK the best version is the r2j. Amazon.co.jp's website is very unfriendly towards those who cannot input Japanese kana into the search fields. However, there is a workaround for English-only speakers.

1.) Look up the English title on cdjapan.co.jp, making sure you are searching with the filter for "Album/Movie Title".

2.) Click on the correct result (the "Detail" button). Copy the CATALOG NUMBER on the following page (in this case, DA-225).

3.) Paste it in the search field at Yahoo's Discstation ( http://store.yahoo.co.jp/discstation/ ). Now search.

4.) Click on the correct result ( http://store.yahoo.co.jp/discstation/da-225.html ).

5.) Copy the title here (in green, above the cover picture).

6.) Finally, paste this in the amazon.co.jp search field. Now search. Scroll down to DVD, and go through the entries one by one until you find something that matches what you saw at Discstation ( http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...852031-4552344 )

Clumsy, but it works. Good luck. I also highly recommend amazon.co.jp over cdjapan.co.jp for the same reasons given above (20% makes a huge difference on these releases).

Last edited by wuken; 03-04-04 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-04-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great, thanks for the tips wuken. Now if I can only find Japanese Language fonts for Mozilla.
Old 03-04-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone care to post a short review of Twilight Samurai? It sounds very cool.
Old 03-04-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cultshock
Here is the link:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...748084-2674754

Its not sold out, but I know that sometimes it is tricky finding stuff on amazon.jp, especially if you can't read Japanese. I would recommend amazon over cdjapan, beacause its 20% cheaper and cdjapan is a bit more expensive for shipping and handling fees.
Thanks man, exactly what I was looking for. What does everyone normally choose for shipping? Economy or express?
Old 03-04-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Last I heard economy usually takes about 5 days to get to the US, so I used that for the Kill Bill set, and am going to use that for this order I am about to place.
Old 03-04-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last I heard economy usually takes about 5 days to get to the US, so I used that for the Kill Bill set, and am going to use that for this order I am about to place.
Yeah, that's what I chose for the KB box set but it's a really big price difference I think. Regardless, I just place my preorder, so thank everyone. I still have no clue what the release date is though, anyone know?
Old 03-04-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just placed my order for the Battlefield Baseball LE Box, and Zatoichi. I decided to pass on Twilight Samurai since it is about $50. I will just pick up the Korean version instead. Does anyone know how they compare?
Old 03-04-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Sessa17
Yeah, that's what I chose for the KB box set but it's a really big price difference I think. Regardless, I just place my preorder, so thank everyone. I still have no clue what the release date is though, anyone know?
CDJapan shows the date being 3/11. I can't wait!
Old 03-04-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to wait until April to get mine. I went the cheap way and had it sent to my father-in-law's house in Japan, so shipping was free. My wife will be visiting him in April and will (hopefully) be bringing me back the Kill Bill box set and Zatoichi (plus anything else I can think about asking her to pick up ).
Old 03-04-04, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just placed my order for the Battlefield Baseball LE Box,
How much did that cost you & did you use amazon? I think that may be my next order.
Old 03-04-04, 11:53 PM

Twilight Samurai isn't in Korea yet. The DVD with the Twilight Samurai cover is actually When the Last Sword is Drawn. If it's out, I'm not aware of it.
Old 03-05-04, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Can anyone direct me to a review of the new Zatoichi DVD? I'm still on the fence about this one since it will be a blind buy.
Old 03-05-04, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by pat00139
Twilight Samurai isn't in Korea yet. The DVD with the Twilight Samurai cover is actually When the Last Sword is Drawn. If it's out, I'm not aware of it.

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvda...ml?id=FNK9rz5J
Old 03-05-04, 06:22 AM

That is the HK version, not the Korean.
Old 03-05-04, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Merdalf
That is the HK version, not the Korean.
Oh, ok. Well, I am just going to pick up that version instead, probably under $15 from DDDhouse shipped. The japanese release can't be worth the extra $35.
Old 03-05-04, 01:45 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

How much did that cost you & did you use amazon? I think that may be my next order.
Don't know if you might want to look into whether you want to pay the extra money for the BB LE - 3-4 people at kfccinema who got the LE says that the packaging is flimsy, which gave me pause. Perhaps flashburn can give more detail when his arrives.

I'm definitely getting BB, but on the fence on whether to get the LE or the regular version.
Old 03-05-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I paid $107.50 shipped for BB box + Zatoichi.

I'll let you all know what I think of the BB box when I get it.
Old 03-05-04, 10:12 PM

The HK disc of Twilight Samurai is anamorphic and dd 5.1. PQ is very good. The R2J disc has DTS but is about 4x the cost.
Old 03-10-04, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My order with Zatoichi, Battlefield Baseball LE and Eyes Wide Shut just shipped. But I have a question....I do not have the Japanese Language pack installed on my machine, can someone tell me what the estimated shipping time is for DHL Worldmail to the US? It says 3-4 something. Is it 3-4 days or weeks?
Old 03-10-04, 09:23 AM

I was going to order Zatoichi from yesasia, but does anyone know of any products I can add that are about $1 since Zatoichi come up $0.75 short of free shipping?

flashburn - I checked the Amazon Japan website and it looks like the slower shipping is 3-4 weeks (estimated). That and the fact that its shipping from Japan is what is pushing me to order it from yesasia since they ship from within the US (I think).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.