Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

****ing Amal (Show Me Love)...available prints?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 02-25-04, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been contemplating whether or not to pick the Strand Release R1 version of Moodysson’s ****ing Amal for a long time. I adore this film and have seen it a dozen times. However I have been quite reluctant due to Strand’s history of poor quality management (as you know the R1 version is bare bones and non-16/9).

I have looked at the comparisons over at dvdbeaver and Gary indicates that the grainy image is perhaps how Moodysson wanted the film to look, rather as a documentary. HOWEVER, the two versions that are being discussed are BOTH non-anamorphic.

I would like to ask if any of the international “talkers” actually owns one of the 2 anamorphic versions available in Europe- Danish or French (pretty much every other country has a non-anamorphic version). I am curious if there is any improvement on the image quality….if not I will finally shell out and get the R1 disc.

Here are the covers for the different versions I am talking about-

R1 retitled -Show me Love

French version (under the original ****ing Amal title)

Danish (re-release)

http://www.dvdzone.dk/Gfx_Covers/346_1.jpg

So, if you have seen any of these two releases please comment on the quality.

Cheers,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 02-26-04 at 03:09 AM.
Old 02-26-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

In additional MAJOR news-

Sergei Bodrov's The Bear's Kiss
....Rebecca Lilieberg's new film (sorry cant use the nordic spelling) is now available on dvd in Russia in English!!
The film was nominated for a Golden Lion in Venice!

Here are the specs and cover work:

Technical spec:
PAL. 94 min. 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen (16:9). Dolby Digital Surround 5.1 EX English, Russian. Subtitles: Russian. Special features: Interactive Menus, Scene Access, Trailers.

available through:
http://www.rushall.ru/fullinfo.asp?I...00&partner=ctb

Official film site (with photos and trailers):
http://www.der-kuss-des-baeren.de/_p...iler-fotos.php

edit:
Looks like the film has been just released in Italy and the Benelux as well!!
http://welcome.to/bearskiss

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 02-26-04 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-26-04, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

wow yentown....thank you for the info. I am so jealous now...the poster you have is indeed beautiful, and signed on the top of that. I absolutely agree with your first paragraph as well, Strand is a horrible company that somehow always ends up with quite a few good films that I would like to own.

I have seen however their version of ****ing Amal and it looked acceptable to me, as I assume again that the grainy look is what the film is supposed to be like. I have no comments on the "flagging"...as I dont have a projector.

I kept hoping that maybe the Brits will release this film with a decent anamorphic transfer (they already have Moodysson's Together and Lydiya-4Ever) so I dont know what the issue is here. Perhaps they did not like ****ing Amal or the film did not do that well....I dont understand. But I think that I am running out of patience....so that's why I wanted to hear about those 16/9 versions. Thank you though I appreciate your input.

Perhaps someone else will comment on the two versions above

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 02-26-04 at 03:13 AM.
Old 02-29-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

R1 retitled -Show me Love

THE SUBTITLES ARE HORRENDOUS... I have this copy and I happen to be fluent in Swedish, I did not mind the subtitles since I understand what they say, but when there is misspelling and grammatical problems in the subtitles and it is not even correctly translated at times. I know that one cannot put down everything that one says in the subtitles, but here it is blatantly bad.

I would check out another copy...
Old 03-01-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

DVD Smurf,

I understand what you are saying and that is the problem I have with this dvd besides the issue with the image. BUT, there isnt a single copy out there that has English subs other than the Strand R1 release.

I dont speak/understand Swedish either so....I want to have this film though.
Old 03-01-04, 12:08 PM

The Strand Region 1 (Region free I think) disc is perfectly fine. I'm happy with it. I don't speak Swedish so it's the best choice too.

The image looks just like how it did at the cinema: grainy.
Old 03-01-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
DVD Smurf,

I understand what you are saying and that is the problem I have with this dvd besides the issue with the image. BUT, there isnt a single copy out there that has English subs other than the Strand R1 release.

I dont speak/understand Swedish either so....I want to have this film though.
Despite its flaws in the subs, it is a great film and if there is no other with subs then the R1 from Strand would be the best alternative as Daniel pointed out...
Old 03-01-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Ok....I think that this resolves the issue (temporarily)! Until the Britsh surprise us with an anamorphic version (or perhaps a SE from Sweden).
Old 05-15-04, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The Bear's Kiss has received some lavish treatment in Japan:

also if anyone knows what Dutch/Benelux store has the R2 version...could you please provide a link....most of the "usual suspecst" dont....

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 05-15-04 at 02:52 AM.