Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Manden bag døren (DTS)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Manden bag døren (DTS)

Old 02-24-04, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manden bag døren (DTS)

I thought I'd post the info for the new Jesper Nielsen film Manden bag døren which offers English subs and a DTS track.

The Danish director Nielsen was also responsible for the 2002 hit Okay which is also available on DVD with English subs. I am looking forward to see both of these films as lately Danish cinema has been nothing short of spectacular. The Scandinavian press also seem to be giving the highest rankings for Nielsen's new film.

And here's the cover work for Nielsen's earlier effort Okay:

both films are available either through DVDoo.com or Laserdisken.dk

Cheers,
Pro-B
Old 02-24-04, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm, wonder how many Brits understand Danish.
Old 02-24-04, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PB-
For those who don't speak the language, how do you find your way through these websites? (BTW, it appears Okay is half the price at dvdoo.com than the other)
Old 02-24-04, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Dane
Hmm, wonder how many Brits understand Danish.
Dear Dane and Bdots48,

I assume that you refer to the websites and how one manages to order through them if one is not fluent in Danish.

Well, I think that I once discussed this when we had the Dogville thread going but I would use an "online" translator, send the needed info, and send a separate email to the site to confirm that they have received my order. And that is only in "extreme" cases with say a language I have not dealt with in a long time....for example Finnish. Danish I know how to deal with perfectly these days

Specifically with the Danes....I have had nothing but an excellent service. Dvdoo.com used to have free shipping to the States so I bought quite a few titles from them. Nowadays they ask for about 15 Krona so that's a bit pricey. Laserdisken even with the higher single price per unit is a bit cheaper....

here's some info for you....

Adresse: Street Address
Postnr: Zip Code
By: City, State
Land: Country

but really.....if you need any help let me know.....

Cheers,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 02-24-04 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-24-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for the info I might check it out, and I am fluent in Swedish which helps since it smilar to Danish...
Old 02-25-04, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by DVD Smurf
Thanks for the info I might check it out, and I am fluent in Swedish which helps since it smilar to Danish...

you speak Swedish??.....where are you from ....I am going to have to meet you when I move back to Chicago in May.....I have noticed that you have a similar to mine taste in films.
Old 02-25-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And I´m Danish. My username kinda gives it away.
Old 02-25-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

....and I was trying to promote a Danish film to you.....
Old 02-25-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
....and I was trying to promote a Danish film to you.....
I was just teasing you.
Old 02-25-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

....ughhh.....
Old 02-25-04, 07:29 PM

I'm Swedish though. For real. And like DVD Smurf said, it's pretty close to Danish.
Old 02-26-04, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, I don´t buy that many Danish movies on DVDs, but do they come with English subtitles?
Old 02-26-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

which ones Dane, ALL of them -no!! but quite a few of the new titles do (just as the Korean market has adopted a similar policy of subbing their films).

The above 2 titles- YES, i mentioned that!!

Yocke....unless I see your Swedish passport i dont believe you are from Sweden.

.....just kidding. Not only I know that you are from Sweden, in fact I know quite a few members that post here....Grizzly, etc. (good soccer team by the way)!!
Old 02-26-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

which ones Dane, ALL of them -no!! but quite a few of the new titles do (just as the Korean market has adopted a similar policy of subbing their films).

The above 2 titles- YES, i mentioned that!!
Tell me something, pro-bassoonist, are you into Danish movies?

I didn´t think Americans cared that much for foreign movies. When I lived in Los Angeles most Americans just hated to read subtitles when watching a movie.

As a movie nut, I just think one should be as open minded as possible. Most Americans are really missing out on some great foreign movies. But, hey, it´s their money so can´t say what they should see or buy.

Last edited by Dane; 02-26-04 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-26-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Deleted.
Old 02-26-04, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

As a movie nut, I just think one should be as open minded as possible. Most Americans are really missing out on some great foreign movies. But, hey, it´s their money so can´t say what they should see or buy.
I agree with you 100%. One should be able to enjoy film regardless of the origin, Period.

Your attitude towards film can only be admired as you show that you really care about film, not "reading" subs. The opposite equates to cultural chauvinism as it implies that good films are made only in your natuve tongue.

As to my opinion about Danish films- Yes, I have found myself increasingly enchanted recently. I have to clarify though that I love Scandinavian cinema in general....so not just Danish films. Swedish and Finish/Icelandic films have been rather good lately. I am not sure about Norwegian films, I saw 3 since December....and they have been a bit dry, if I could put it that way.

Danish film-makers have been very strong as of late though!! So, I am always in search of quality films. With this said I am not a foreign films extremist. I think that our own industry produces some very good films (I just saw The Dancer Upstairs and thought that it was spectacular). The prblem is that in general the US audience wants them to be "chewed and processed" so they dont have to use any excessive amount of brain acticity. So, its not the film-makers....the issue so to speak comes from us.

Cheers,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 02-26-04 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-26-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Danish film-makers have been very strong as of late though!! So, I am always in search of quality films. With this said I am not a foreign films extremist. I think that our own industry produces some very good films (I just saw The Dancer Upstairs and thought that it was spectacular). The prblem is that in general the US audience wants them to be "chewed and processed" so they dont have to use any excessive amount of brain acticity. So, its not the film-makers....the issue so to speak comes from us.

Cheers,
Pro-B
Well, I agree with you also 100 %. Yes, we are doing pretty good here in the little State of Denmark. In the last 10 years Denmark has build a very good reputaion worldwide. Considering the size of our country, Danish movies gets seen more that any other country in Europe with French movies on the second place.

I absolutely agree that American mainstream movies leaves no room to ones imagination. Everything is presented "chewed and processed" as you so well put it. I tend to go for the American independent movies, which seem to have done very well the last few years. There have so many well told, well executed, well structured, well visually shot movies produced lately.

By the way, may I suggest a Norwegian movie called Elling . It´s their biggest success to date. I believe there will be an American re-make of this in a not too distant future. Possibly with Kevin Spacey in one of the lead roles. However, most often the original is superior to the re-make.
Old 02-26-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I absolutely agree that American mainstream movies leaves no room to ones imagination. Everything is presented "chewed and processed" as you so well put it. I tend to go for the American independent movies, which seem to have done very well the last few years. There have so many well told, well executed, well structured, well visually shot movies produced lately.
I will just chime in with my agreement 100% Though I think this is somewhat changing nowadays. Slowly...very slowly. I am coming across more and more people who are getting region free players and experimenting with foreign cinema. Maybe that is just because of the area I am from (right outside NYC), the middle of America might be completely different.

What bothers me most about America's take on foreign films is that instead of actually showing the original movie Hollywood tends to want to make a remake and put very little info out in the mainstream about it being a remake. Sometimes the remake is good, but generally not better than the original, films like The Vanishing are both equally good IMO, but the original probably is better in the long run IMO. And looking at how Japanese Horror is being dealt with in this country is frightening. Instead of showing Juon in theaters we will be getting a remake called The Grudge. And the same with Dark Waters.

The American audience (not to generalize too much ) seems to not like the pacing of foreign cinema as compared to the flashy, fast-paced typical Hollywood blockbuster. And sadly reading books is looked down upon in this country by the vast majority, so god forbid you have to actually read (GASP!) the movie you are watching. Japanese anime is the same way. Instead of just releasing subbed versions of the cartoons the companies feel (and sadly they are correct) that the american audiences must have it dubbed in english and altered to work within our own cultural references

It is really a shame.

Sorry about helping the thread go so off-topic