Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Il Mare (Korean version-16/9 DTS)-inside look

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Il Mare (Korean version-16/9 DTS)-inside look

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-06, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought I would resurect an old thread before starting a new one...

Anyway, I have the R3 Edko release of Il Mare and I was looking for a better version. I'm most concerned with the subtitles, because this isn't the type of movie that is highly dependant on the transfer.

Anyway, my problem with my release is that many times during the movie, the subtitles are not complete, and will cut off mid-word, somtimes a half of a sentence will not even be shown. So I am wondering if the R3 SE Korea has the same problem. If it doesn't is the translation substantially different? Because people seem to be ripping one of the translations apart. Ppersonally, I didn't think my versions translation was too bad, some sentences could have had better wording, but I didn't think that the translation got in the way of the film (except for the fact that parts of the subs were cropped).

Thanks,
Matthew Zolton
Old 01-15-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
From koreanfilm.org

Addendum: I must make a special note of the fact that Il Mare's English subtitles in the Spectrum DVD versions, including its "special edition" re-release, and presumably in the 35mm prints, are some of the very worst ever garnished South Korean films. Nearly every other sentence, if not making hash out of Korean dialogues, is then flat-out incomprehensible. It is disheartening to realize that many non-Korean-speaking fans of this film might have become its fans without understanding what in the name of Gabriel's Trumpet the characters are talking about. I think they deserve better. The English subtitles should be re-done for any future media presentation of Il Mare.
From dvdtimes

Subtitles

In terms of subtitles we're in line for another disappointment. The original Korean release featured a very poor set of English subtitles - spelling and grammatical errors were the order of the day and Spectrum haven't taken the opportunity to correct this pretty big fault. It appears that we've got exactly the same set of flawed subtitles present on this release and this is a serious issue. With a film as beautiful and engaging as this, to have to spend time deciphering the on-screen text has the obvious side effect of drawing the viewer out of the film. Very poor.

There is one slight improvement the subtitles can boast over the previous release - their positioning. The improved anamorphic transfer means that the subtitles are positioned correctly this time around.

Last edited by eXcentris; 01-15-06 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-15-06, 11:57 AM

Well, thank you, I guess that I will be holding onto my R3 Edko - non-anamorphic, cropped subtitle release.

-Z-
Old 01-15-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So which verison of Il Mare do I have then?

Watched it awhile ago and loved the film...was actually impressed with quality of the subs. After reading this thread, I wanted to check the specs of mine. It's region 1 and from Le Day Multimedia (HK). Couldn't find any info. on it on the web.

Please don't tell me this is a boot.
Old 01-15-06, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
So which verison of Il Mare do I have then?

Watched it awhile ago and loved the film...was actually impressed with quality of the subs. After reading this thread, I wanted to check the specs of mine. It's region 1 and from Le Day Multimedia (HK). Couldn't find any info. on it on the web.

Please don't tell me this is a boot.
Couldn't tell you if it was a boot, but I am not aware of a R1 release of this film. If it is legit, then I would like to know where you got it. Is is anamorphic? And cropping of the subs?
Old 01-15-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The R1 is from Tai Seng and has a horrible transfer. The HK release is from Edko. Never heard of Le Day Multimedia, this is most likely a boot.
Old 01-15-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It makes you wonder if a bootlegger cared enough about the film to pull down corrected subs from the web. Anything is possible I guess. I'd sure like to seen scans of the front and back of the box.
Old 01-15-06, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
It makes you wonder if a bootlegger cared enough about the film to pull down corrected subs from the web. Anything is possible I guess. I'd sure like to seen scans of the front and back of the box.
Hope these aren't too large. My apologies, if so. (And FWIW, the front is the same image that that appears on the DVD.)

Ah, just noticed the region code on the disk. But definitely NOT region 3 as it plays in my player. Guessing boot then.

Last edited by TimeandTide; 01-15-06 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-15-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cover says region 1 (makes no sense, only region 1 is from Tai Seng) but disc itself says region 3. I'd say this is either a boot or a cheap Chinese version. if "Le Day Multimedia" were a legit HK company, I'd have heard about it or at least be able to find out about it on google. There's zilch about that company.
Old 08-09-06, 09:52 AM

What's the best edition of this to get at this point? Mostly all I care about is picture quality, subtitle quality, and price.
Old 08-11-06, 11:31 AM

hello?
Old 08-11-06, 11:00 PM

Maybe this will help?

Il Mare Comparison at DVDBeaver
Old 08-12-06, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Maybe this will help?

Il Mare Comparison at DVDBeaver
That's a fairly old comparison that doesn't have the newer remastered Spectrum release or the the Tai Seng DVD.
Old 08-12-06, 11:54 AM

here still on sale at:

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/20611.html
Old 08-12-06, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Heliosphann
That's a fairly old comparison that doesn't have the newer remastered Spectrum release or the the Tai Seng DVD.
I can guarantee that you don't want the Tai Seng version. The original Korean audio track is absent, with Cantonese and Mandarin dubs in its place. To add insult to injury, the video was vertically stretched on my 4:3 set; I suspect the video was encoded as 16:9 anamorphic but improperly flagged.

The only positive point was that the subtitles were at least coherent, if not perfect.
Old 08-12-06, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GHackmann
I can guarantee that you don't want the Tai Seng version. The original Korean audio track is absent, with Cantonese and Mandarin dubs in its place. To add insult to injury, the video was vertically stretched on my 4:3 set; I suspect the video was encoded as 16:9 anamorphic but improperly flagged.

The only positive point was that the subtitles were at least coherent, if not perfect.

Yea, I'd heard it wasn't good overall but had good subs. I'd like to get a hold of it just to rip the subs and then put them on a copy of my Spectrum SE release.
Old 08-13-06, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you are good with google you should be able to find those subs already ripped.
Old 08-13-06, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
If you are good with google you should be able to find those subs already ripped.
Shhhhh...

Old 08-13-06, 07:59 AM

Although I'm an owner of the Spectrum SE box set, this question isn't directly related to this fine film (with bad subtitling) but to an indirect reference by one of your Il Mare posters regarding an Asian film titled: THE CLASSIC which they had also recently added to their collections. Can you fill me as to what this is? The only thing with that title on IMDB is "Klassikko" (2001). Is this the movie? What's the plot and its DVD availability.
Old 08-13-06, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by TheDoug
Although I'm an owner of the Spectrum SE box set, this question isn't directly related to this fine film (with bad subtitling) but to an indirect reference by one of your Il Mare posters regarding an Asian film titled: THE CLASSIC which they had also recently added to their collections. Can you fill me as to what this is? The only thing with that title on IMDB is "Klassikko" (2001). Is this the movie? What's the plot and its DVD availability.
I'm reasonably sure the film is Keulraesik a.k.a. The Classic (2003).
It's been released several times in South Korea; The original Starmax (reviewed here, both as a regular release, and as a wooden box set, both recalled at the director's request because of image problems (tinting in some scenes)), the Starmax rerelease, and the more resent CJ Entertainment rerelease (reviewed here, sorry, in Danish only, but it gives very high marks for both video, audio, particularly the DTS track, and subtitles).
IMO a fairly good, but not great movie.
Old 08-13-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Classic is the follow up film from the director of My Sassy Girl. It's a traditional romance story, but it's done very well and I've always liked it more than My Sassy Girl.

As far as the original Starmax release being recalled for bad video, that's news to me. Although it's been some time since I've watched the film, I'd have not held onto the DVD if it had serious A/V issues.
Old 08-13-06, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Heliosphann
The Classic is the follow up film from the director of My Sassy Girl. It's a traditional romance story, but it's done very well and I've always liked it more than My Sassy Girl.

As far as the original Starmax release being recalled for bad video, that's news to me. Although it's been some time since I've watched the film, I'd have not held onto the DVD if it had serious A/V issues.
As I wrote, the director wasn't satisfied with the color (the tinting in the scenes from the past, too much red, as far as I remember), and asked for the first printing (the Starmax release with DTS and English subtitles) to be recalled.
I always thought it looked just great the way it did, and never sent back my L.E. wooden set.
Must say I much prefer My Sasy Girl over The Classic, though.
Old 08-13-06, 05:06 PM

Thanks Njal and Heliosphann for both your postings relative to "The Classic." It's only recently I've ordered "My Sassy Girl" due to its reputation as a fun/offbeat/romantic comedy. I have yet to view the American remake of IL MARE, "The Lakehouse" but judging from trailers etc. I think I'll stick with the Korean version which is no classic by any means but is interesting for its originality and performances by the two leads.
Old 08-13-06, 06:00 PM

I think I'll stick with the Korean version which is no classic by any means but is interesting for its originality and performances by the two leads.
Ditto!

Old 01-01-07, 11:33 AM

I know this is bringing this thread back from a long time ago, but what "should" be the version to get if you're going to get it?

Also, is this release by Spectrum (Yes Asia says it was released 2/06) the same as the older one?

New: http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept...id-1004115203/

Original: http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/20611.html

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.