Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What is the typical number of country releases for any given R2 title?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 02-21-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen R2 releases from the U.K., France, Holland, Germany, France, Sweden, Norway, etc. Due to subtitling or dubbing differences, what is the typical or average number of releases per title in Europe?

If there is an existing thread that kind of sums up this question, I'd appreciate a link. Thanks.
Old 02-21-04, 04:00 PM

It depends on the label who publishes the title: e.g. "the ring" (2003) is coded in regions 2&4 and is the same release for the U.K., Germany, the Netherlands, and Australia. Some titles have one release for the U.K. and France, another one for Spain and Germany etc. For example the "Hong Kong Legends" label produces their titles for the U.K. and the Netherlands.
Often smaller lables buy the license for a particular country from the distributing major studio, so it can happen that every country in Western Europe has its own release for the same movie. And some movies are not released in every European country, but only in one or two. Other movies have pretty many releases even in one country, "Evil Dead" probably should've more than 20 different European releases (from different countries, from the same country, but from a different label, from the same country and the same label, but a different version, etc.).
So it is pretty difficult to determine the "typical or avarage" number of releases per title.
Old 02-22-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, Merdalf. I know that Scandinavian television tends to subtitle rather than dub and that German television the reverse. Does that hold true when it comes to DVDs? Or in other words, do most English language films have a German Language track on the DVDs available in Germany?
Old 02-22-04, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by Wannabe
Thanks, Merdalf. I know that Scandinavian television tends to subtitle rather than dub and that German television the reverse. Does that hold true when it comes to DVDs? Or in other words, do most English language films have a German Language track on the DVDs available in Germany?
Yes, that's true. There are probably only a few DVDs coming out here in Germany without a German Language track, most of them coming from small independent labels. Some DVD releases of foreign movies don't even include the original language track - and that's a great pity!