Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Belleville Rendezvous (Triplettes of Belleville) UK edition question.

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 02-18-04, 09:56 AM

Tried doing a search, yet suprisingly nothing turned up, I know that the French DVD edition has a bevy of extras, and I was curious to know what extras are on the UK release, if any?

Secondly, why is the film called 'The Triplettes of Belleville (Les Triplettes de Belleville)' even though the title card in the film is in fact displays the original film title: 'Belleville Rendez-Vous?'

Last edited by Giles; 02-18-04 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-18-04, 03:12 PM
Cool New Member

I just scanned the extras but they seemed to be a "making of" that was interviews with the writer/director and the music guy. Pretty dry (at least the part that I watched) and another interview with the director. Nothing to write home about, although the movie part of the disc was great. I believe 'Belleville Rendez-Vous' is the European title (and is overall a more accurate description of the movie). Triplettes of Belleville is the American name.
Old 02-18-04, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Toast
I just scanned the extras but they seemed to be a "making of" that was interviews with the writer/director and the music guy. Pretty dry (at least the part that I watched) and another interview with the director. Nothing to write home about, although the movie part of the disc was great. I believe 'Belleville Rendez-Vous' is the European title (and is overall a more accurate description of the movie). Triplettes of Belleville is the American name.
thanks for the reply Mr. Toast.

As for the title, even the French DVD goes by 'Triplettes of Belleville' - go figure?

~

Last edited by Giles; 02-18-04 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-18-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Belleville Rendez-Vous is actually the UK title. It is also the name of the title song which has been nominated for an Oscar.
Old 02-19-04, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by eXcentris
Belleville Rendez-Vous is actually the UK title. It is also the name of the title song which has been nominated for an Oscar.
so then is the title card different on the non-UK prints of the film, cause it's retained for the US release of the film? On the French prints then are the very small dialogue scenes in English actually in French then?
Old 02-19-04, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BTW when I was in London last weekend I saw this in the shops, and at Virgin there are two covers - one is exclusive to Virgin and is the second of the two covers above.

Don't know if this is how it will be released in the US, but let's hope.

Jeremy
Old 02-19-04, 09:19 AM

Have not checked this movie out , but i have heard it is pretty good.
Old 02-19-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by jrutz
BTW when I was in London last weekend I saw this in the shops, and at Virgin there are two covers - one is exclusive to Virgin and is the second of the two covers above.

Don't know if this is how it will be released in the US, but let's hope.

Jeremy
Hmmm... Maybe the "Belleville Rendez-Vous" title is only used for UK theatrical release? Anyone from the UK can confirm?
Old 02-19-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just posting here so I remember to pick this up sometime.
Old 02-20-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Giles
so then is the title card different on the non-UK prints of the film, cause it's retained for the US release of the film? On the French prints then are the very small dialogue scenes in English actually in French then?
Not sure I understand the first question but this is the UK DVD:

Well over here (Quebec) the dialogue is mostly in french except when the triplettes talk (well it's more like mumbling) it's a mixture of french/english.