Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Philips 727 problems [merged]

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Philips 727 problems [merged]

Old 02-12-04, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about DTS on Philips 727--Help!

I posted this at the end of the Toshiba 3900/Philips 727 thread, but I don't know if anyone will wade through 5 pages to find it...

OK, maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, or I'm just a clueless dope, but I just bought a 727, and I popped in the LORD OF THE RINGS: FOTR extended edition. When I select the DTS audio track, I get NO audio at all. Same with the DTS track on OPEN RANGE. I don't have a separate receiver; I'm just running the audio through a normal Samsung 27" stereo TV. What am I doing wrong? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm new to this. Thanks!
Old 02-12-04, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is this Jason Prichett??? That guy in the film biz out in LA???

If not, nevermind...

So what are you using to Decode the DTS signal??? The Philips doesn't have a built in decoder for DD or DTS. So if you don't have anything to decode it (aka an external reciever), then you WON'T get any audio.
Old 02-12-04, 01:55 AM

Originally posted by Heliosphann
Is this Jason Prichett??? That guy in the film biz out in LA???

If not, nevermind...

So what are you using to Decode the DTS signal??? The Philips doesn't have a built in decoder for DD or DTS. So if you don't have anything to decode it (aka an external reciever), then you WON'T get any audio.
Uh, yeah. That's me. Well, my last name is spelled PriTchett, but, yeah, that's me. Who are you? And how do you know who I am? I didn't think anybody knew who I was...

I was under the impression from reading on various websites that the Philips DOES have built in decoders for both DD and DTS. I get audio out of DD disks just fine. That's why I'm confused.
Old 02-12-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hahahahhaha... It's FedEX_Fanboy from the Bendis board!!! Long time no talk to! Hope things are going well, you ever get that film project off the ground?

I own a 727 and unfortunatly it does NOT have a built in decoder. The reason you're getting sound when DD is selected is because it will downsample to just plain stereo on your TV. DTS however needs to be fully decoded, even if it is going to be played on just a 2 channel source (like your TV). So when you try to play a DTS track, no audio... That's why on some DTS tracks when you select it from the Audio menu, you get a little disclaimer thingy.
Old 02-12-04, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by Heliosphann
Hahahahhaha... It's FedEX_Fanboy from the Bendis board!!! Long time no talk to! Hope things are going well, you ever get that film project off the ground?
Ha! That's funny--great to hear from you!

Well, let's put it this way: if the project HAD gotten off the ground, do ya think I'd be buying a Philips 727 and running it through a 27" stereo TV?

I own a 727 and unfortunatly it does NOT have a built in decoder. The reason you're getting sound when DD is selected is because it will downsample to just plain stereo on your TV. DTS however needs to be fully decoded, even if it is going to be played on just a 2 channel source (like your TV). So when you try to play a DTS track, no audio... That's why on some DTS tracks when you select it from the Audio menu, you get a little disclaimer thingy.
Got it. I had a feeling that was the issue; just wanted to make sure. I'm a little annoyed now, because I read on several websites that the 727 DID have DTS decoding--not that it would make a difference in my case right now, but it's just the principle of the matter!

Thanks for the info!

Jason
Old 02-25-04, 12:23 PM

Problems with image flicker/"pulsing" on Philips 727?

I bought a Philips 727 about 3 weeks ago after reading some good things about it here and elsewhere. For the most part, I like it a lot. However, there's a flicker or "pulsing" effect on the image for the first several minutes every time I turn it on. This happens even while the player is displaying its "Loading" screen, and isn't actually playing a DVD. Typically, the flicker/pulse goes away after a few minutes, but on the most recent disc I watched, it lasted for almost half an hour. It does this on DVDs from all different regions, and when not even playing a movie, as stated earlier.

The flicker/pulsing almost seems to make the whole image smaller by a minute amount before then returning to normal for a few seconds, before "pulsing" again. That's the best way I can think of to describe it.

Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a fix for it? Thanks!

Jason
Old 02-25-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have the 727 via component connection, and do not have this problem. methinks you need to take it back for an exchange.
Old 02-25-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds as if it's a defect in your particular unit. My 727 has gone through about four months of intense use, and I haven't experienced what you are describing.