Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Rewind (The man Who see Video)- Korean....some info?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 02-02-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could any of the "Korean experts" ...Triger...Helliosphan.. around here let me know what to expect from this film?

I love the cover work however have no info whatsoever on this film. My gut feeling is that this might be one of the Asian romantic/artsy type films that I like so much. Anyhow if you have seen it I would appreciate it if you provide a tiny synopsis...or your opinion.

cover work:

Old 02-02-04, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Rewind... Based on the novel of the same name, the film, directed by Kim Hak-soon, is about people in their 30s trying to find love after innocence has faded and disillusion has set in.

The protagonist, played by Jang Hyeon-seong, is a man who opens up a small video store. Having given up on his law career and his marriage, the man, whose name we never find out, fills up his days with meaningless conversations with customers and watching videos.

One day, the man begins receiving poetic letters from a secret admirer, left in the tape-return box at night. These small hints of a possible romance break up the monotony of his melancholy days, and lead him to wonder which of his female customers could be writing to him.

Some viewers may get frustrated by the slow and deliberate pace of the film; the sounds of a spoon clinking on a cup or a tape inserted into a VCR become minor dramas in and of themselves. But underneath the minimal quality of the narrative, one will find a complex portrait of the little things that make up a life.

(courtesy of KoreaTimes)
~yawn~ No - actually, it sounds pretty interesting, albeit dull. It actually would probably hit too close to home for me in such a way that I wouldn't get anything out of it. I worked in a video store and I recently entered my 30s. I may pick it up later if I hear positive reviews... aw who am I kidding, it's probably something I either already ordered or it's in my shopping cart. I just buy anything. me = stupid.
Old 02-03-04, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well...thank you for the synopsis.....I am looking forward to your review should you choose to actually buy this film

On a side note....was this film part of a festival of some sort? I see the little brackets on the top that are usually used for such distinction....
Old 02-03-04, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Looks like it - that would be my guess... that's what I always assume when I see those little wheat brackets - I even use them to trick my friends into watching these with me sometimes.

them - *groan* "I don't wanna watch another stupid subtitled movie."
me - "But look, it won some award nomination at some film festival"
them - "what award for what festival?"
me - *looks at box* ... "I dunno, I can't read this shit... but it won something... let's just watch it."

I think I'm gonna let you buy it and review it.