Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Best deal I found on an All region player

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 01-04-04, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I'm in the Army stationed in Germany. At the day after Thanksgiving sale at the px they had a progressive scan dvd player for $27. I noticed that it didn't have the region code on the box so I snagged it up and sure enough, it played region 2 with no adjustments. It was a Coby DVD-215. The price went back up to $37 (oh my). Find em if you can.
Old 01-04-04, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll do so next time im in Germany.
Old 01-04-04, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Best deal I found on an All region player

Originally posted by SuckaMC
So I'm in the Army stationed in Germany. At the day after Thanksgiving sale at the px they had a progressive scan dvd player for $27. I noticed that it didn't have the region code on the box so I snagged it up and sure enough, it played region 2 with no adjustments.
Why is it no surprise to me that a DVD player sold in a Region 2 country (Germany) would play Region 2 DVDs ? The queston is, will it play any other regions?
Old 01-04-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe I didn't phrase it well from the get go for you non-military types. The PX is the Army store for Americans on post. Gimme some credit for knowing about regions. Typically, the PX will sell Items that will carry over to the States when you change duty stations. Its a 110 volt powered region free player. If it was a R2 only player then it would have been 220 volts with the funny plug. All regions, no hack required. Coby DVD-215.
Old 01-04-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

haven't exactly been well received, have I? her you go, nay-sayers:
http://www.outpost.com/product/3859517

outpost= Fry's= reputable
Old 01-04-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by SuckaMC
haven't exactly been well received, have I? her you go, nay-sayers:
http://www.outpost.com/product/3859517

outpost= Fry's= reputable
Maybe I missed something, but nowhere on that page you linked to does it say that the DVD player is "Region-Free".
Old 01-04-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts
Originally posted by paratize
Maybe I missed something, but nowhere on that page you linked to does it say that the DVD player is "Region-Free".
Couldn't find anything at VCDHelp.com

Maybe his player has some sort of firmware upgrade.

Hey MC, are you sure it's a 215 and not a Coby 515?
Old 01-05-04, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep its the 215. I, too, looked it up before I bought it and thought it was the 515, but when I got back to the store it was 215. Thats when I noticed that it didn't have the region code anywhere on the box. So I took a chance and bought it. Turns out its plays everything. No, it doesn't say "region-free" on the box. It just doesn't have any region at all on it. So my guess is that its a cheapie player that Coby sends all over the world so they don't bother to set it to one region.
Old 01-05-04, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
It does say "Compatible to PAL/NTSC " in the features. Also, "110-220 Automatic Power Adjustable Input."

MC (I almost called you Sucka), how does it handle everything? Image quality? Could you play other Regions without a hack? How's the menu handle? NTSC/PAL conversion? Blah blah blah, etc.

Thanks!

Last edited by The Valeyard; 01-05-04 at 04:26 AM.
Old 01-05-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Valeyard,
It played R2 without a hack. Has a typical menu w/ all the chopices you might expect: langauge, 16:9 or 4:3, ect. I play the movies through an Epson Powerlite S1 projector but it plays anamorphic PAL just fine without me switching the projector to PAL so I'm guessing that its the dvd players converter doing it. The only thing I haven't tried is the progressive scan cuz I need a crazy component to VGA cable to run to the projector. But overall, excellent for $40! I almost bought 2. ha ha.
Old 01-06-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Doesn't say DTS in the description...just 5.1. Hmm. Have you tried a DTS title yet?