DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Kill Bill -- February 9th in the UK? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/338038-kill-bill-february-9th-uk.html)

Rogue588 12-29-03 12:05 PM

Kill Bill -- February 9th in the UK?

http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7100000020803

I went to add this to the previous Kill Bill thread over in DVD Talk, but Mao closed it.

I just recieved an email from Blackstar.co.uk. According to them, Kill Bill will be out February 9th. However, they list no specs.

Amazon.co.uk still has the release date as April 19th.

ntuc 12-30-03 07:20 AM

i think it might be better to wait for the japanese version before deciding cos kill bill vol 1 japanese version in cinema is more violent and has a nude scene as compared to the US version. this is what i heard.

Hendrik 12-30-03 02:21 PM

...yes, perhaps, BUT... (see the last remark, about Japanese dialog)...

. . . :o . . .

Supermallet 12-30-03 03:06 PM

Originally posted by Hendrik
...yes, perhaps, BUT... (see the last remark, about Japanese dialog)...

It says the print doesn't have English subs. That doesn't mean the DVD won't.

Hendrik 12-30-03 05:09 PM

...and why, pray tell, would a Japanese DVD - made, in principle, for the Japanese market - of an American movie that happens to include (some? a lot of?) Japanese dialog, why, I say, in my usual long-winded way, would such a DVD - which, I repeat, is made principally for the Japanese market (that's why it is coded Region 2, after all...!...)- include English subtitles for Japanese dialog...?...

mrwilson 12-30-03 05:44 PM

Same reason they include English subtitles, along with Japanese, on an American movie with an English soundtrack on an R2 Japanese disc. I have quite a few, X2 being one example.

Hendrik 12-30-03 06:00 PM

...I guess I stand corrected then... (the only - English language - Japanese DVDs I own are Luc Besson's "Leon" and - he said, blushingly - "Fair Game", starring Cindy Crawford and William Baldwin - afaik neither have English subs, in fact FG only has an all-Japanese menu, no English anywhere)...

rexinnih 12-31-03 06:16 PM

Most of the Japanese R2 discs I have include English subtitles so my guess is that this one would also. Helps a lot on movies like Dances with Wolves, just not really up on my native American languages. Of course when I saw Kill Bill in the theater, no subs to be found...........

MrX 01-03-04 04:15 PM

Re: Kill Bill -- February 9th in the UK?

Originally posted by Rogue588
I just recieved an email from Blackstar.co.uk. According to them, Kill Bill will be out February 9th. However, they list no specs

Amazon.co.uk still has the release date as April 19th

Blackstar has it as April 19th now

skatefan20 01-03-04 04:45 PM

In regards to Japanese DVD releases...

in addition to the main feature, do the "Extras" on many releases also include optional English subtitles?

mrwilson 01-03-04 07:24 PM

skatefan20, I haven't seen one yet.

Rogue588 01-03-04 08:52 PM

Re: Re: Kill Bill -- February 9th in the UK?

Originally posted by MrX
Blackstar has it as April 19th now
jeezus.. -rolleyes-

cultshock 01-04-04 11:56 AM

Originally posted by ntuc
i think it might be better to wait for the japanese version before deciding cos kill bill vol 1 japanese version in cinema is more violent and has a nude scene as compared to the US version. this is what i heard.
The Japanese version had more violence but there was definitely NOT a nude scene. I saw this version and can state that for a fact.

I think that there is a 50/50 chance that the Japanese disc will have English subs. These days, English subs are becoming a bit more common on Japanese discs. But yes, theatrically, the English subs that were on the US print were not present on the Japanese cut (but there were Japanese subs for the English dialogue, naturally. Even the song in the opening credits had subs).

Josh Z 01-04-04 02:33 PM

Originally posted by cultshock
I think that there is a 50/50 chance that the Japanese disc will have English subs. These days, English subs are becoming a bit more common on Japanese discs.
It may have English subtitles, but you will almost certainly have to toggle them on or off between scenes whenever Japanese dialogue comes on. It will not have an option for English subtitles to appear just during the Japanese dialogue.

The Ronin - Ultimate Edition has this problem for its scenes with French dialogue. The English subs are an all-on/all-off proposition.

Considering that the intended market is Japanese, this only makes sense.

cultshock 01-05-04 12:23 AM

Originally posted by Josh Z
It may have English subtitles, but you will almost certainly have to toggle them on or off between scenes whenever Japanese dialogue comes on. It will not have an option for English subtitles to appear just during the Japanese dialogue.

Actually, yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing myself, but was too lazy to write that at the time. ;) Oh well, at any rate, if I have to toggle subs, or not have them at all, I will still buy the Japanese DVD, whenever the hell it comes out (the theatrical release of Volume 2 in Japan is still mentioned as being during "Golden Week", their big holiday week in April, so maybe the DVD will be released shortly before that?).