Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Asian DVD seller around SF?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-03, 01:17 PM
hey
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey wasup guys newbie here, well somewhat because I just recently registered but have been lurking for quit some time now. I was wondering if there are any stores around SF or the Bay Area that sell cheap Asian DVDs besides for Chinatown or Japan? I went to a few stores a couple of days ago and found their prices to be reasonable but I was expecting much cheaper prices like how some have to claim here. Know any specific stores or area? Let me know!

But thanks for you guys recommendations that all my blind Asian purchases have all been satisfying so far with Hero, Shaolin Soccer, My Beautiful Girl Mari, Musa and Storm Riders. Unfortunately I might have received a bootleg of Legend of Zu or a manufacturer defect in which the seller, lefamily28. will not give me a refund or even an exchange... The dialogues is fine but the surround seems distorted...

But I have My Sassy Girl, Failan, Ditto, and the Returner coming to me very soon via DDDhouse.com and I can't wait!

Failan and Ditto are in DD 2.0...how are they? I wanted at least DD 5.1 but I wanted to save a few $$. Which is better ProLogic II or DD 2.0?

Next one up in my list are Il Mare, Christmas in August and Lover's Concerto and Sword in the Moon (when is the release for this?).

Also is there a region free release of Wonderful Days?

Any other recommendations?

Last edited by hey; 11-20-03 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-20-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I find that the SF Chinatown stores and for that matter all the Bay Area stores that sell HK-based DVDs are indeed still relatively speaking expensive. I'm assuming that this is so because damn Tai$$$$$eng is close by and they probably check closely to make sure all DVDs distributed by Tai$$$$$eng is on the shelf. Thus the higher prices.

Internet places YesAsia (SF) , AsianDiscs and AznFilms (San Jose)are Bay-Area based and you can arrange to pick up DVDs from them in person, if you so desire. That might save you a little bit.

Unless you are in a 'have to have it right now' mode, you're better off going with DDDHouse.
Old 11-20-03, 02:04 PM
hey
Cool New Member

I had no idea that those three website are based located here... I just might order from YesAsian and pick it up instead...thanks for the heads up!

DDDhouse kills you with shipping though...hehe.
Old 11-20-03, 02:09 PM
hey
Cool New Member

Ha! Just found out that their US Headquarter is much, much closer to me! They're located in San Bruno, not specifically San Francisco.... South San Francisco is just right next door to San Bruno... Now it makes me wonder if they will let you pick them up? I'll e-mail them and ask...