Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any Enki Bilal movies on DVD (anywhere) yet?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 11-15-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I started reading some of his work earlier this year -- "The Nikopol Trilogy" and "The Dormant Beast" -- as well as his gorgeous artwork in works with Pierre Christin -- "The Black Order Brigade" and "The Hunting Party" -- I've heard that he's just wrapped a film version of part 2 of the Nikopol Trilogy, "The Woman Trap."

It looks like it'll come out next spring in Europe, and hopefully here as well, but in the meantime, has anyone heard of dvd releases of his 2 previous films -- which I was completely unaware of: "Bunker Palace Hotel" (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0096994/) and "Tykho Moon" (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0118003/)?

Any information is appreciated.

thanks.
Old 11-16-03, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw Tykho Moon years ago. I rate his graphic work very highly but the film was a boring mess I have to say. Didn’t even find it satisfying on a purely visual level.
Old 11-16-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...there is a French DVD of Tykho Moon... it's all in French, though - no English subs...

...since this is a French/German co-production, there may also be a German disc - which, of course, would be all in German - and, again, no English subs...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 11-16-03 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-16-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Hendrik
...there is a French DVD of Tykho Moon... it's all in French, though - no English subs...

...since this is a French/German co-production, there may also be a German disc - which, of course, would be all in German - and, again, no English subs...

. . . . . .
thanks for the link. Amazon.fr didn't list anything.

Jonathan - thanks for the opinion. I was kinda getting that opinion from the comparatively low reviews at imdb, but thought it might still be interesting. Here's hoping "The Woman Trap" turns out better.
Old 11-17-03, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by jonathan.e
I saw Tykho Moon years ago. I rate his graphic work very highly but the film was a boring mess I have to say. Didn’t even find it satisfying on a purely visual level.
Saw Bunker Palace Hotel at a theatre a "while" ago. The movie was 100% Bilal world. It just lacked a bit of extra cash to achieve a brilliant film.

A pity there is not even a comment on IMDB for this film. The movie described the life under a collapsing (communist) dictatorship.

Definitely one to watch if you're a sci-fi fan.
Old 11-20-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This may end up needing to be moved to the Movie forum, but someone on another board posted this link: http://www.cinemovies.fr/cinetv/cine...=moyenne%20res

It looks like a trailer from "Carnival of Immortals" (book 1 of the Nikopol trilogy), but book 2 "The Woman Trap" is the one that's actually coming out next year. I suppose it could be a piece from the movie giving some background or something. Pretty cool at any rate.
Old 10-03-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Any Enki Bilal movies on DVD (anywhere) yet?

I just got the Spanish DVD of TYKHO MOON - anamorphic video, and this dvd has the French parts with English subtitles (75% of the film is in French, 25% is in English)

I'm glad to finally see it - not bad, not great. It's basically a sci-fi film noir live-action French comic book film. It's like reading one of those bizarre comics from HEAVY METAL. I like July Delpy so I got my money's worth. It's actually sort of similar to IMMORTEL with a smaller budget...

Disregard the DVD specs on the back of the Spanish DVD. The DVD's audio is French/English DD 2.0. And the English subtitles only play during the French scenes.

FILM: 6.5
DVD VIDEO: 8
DVD AUDIO: 7
EXTRAS: 1
(photos)