DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Hero (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/317172-hero.html)

dizzlle01 01-25-03 11:22 PM

Hero

anybody know when its coming out.its the movie with Jet Li

wuken 01-25-03 11:40 PM

The Hong Kong DVD has a street date of February 24, 2003. Not entirely sure who the company releasing it is; my bets are on Edko. This one is supposed to be an extended 120 minute version, 20 minutes longer than the showings that have been popping up in film festivals and Chinese theaters in Asia.

EnterOne (Korea) is also releasing its own version of HERO soon afterwards (no confirmed release date or specifications known).

Absolutely no clue when the North American R1 disc is set to debut.

dizzlle01 01-26-03 03:03 PM

do u have a link somewhere.I search Yesasia and can't find anything

iskandam 01-26-03 04:52 PM

Where was it announced that EnterOne will be releasing Hero, by the way?

zerotl 01-27-03 09:55 AM

Originally posted by wuken

Absolutely no clue when the North American R1 disc is set to debut.

I don't even think anyone knows for sure when we're getting the movie in the theaters or if it's gonna be butchered, much along the r1 release.

Oh and tnx for the info wuken, I thought it's coming out in HK a lot earlier, but oh well. Anyway, I'm more interested in BulletProof Monk. Hehe.

enoque 01-28-03 05:14 AM

enterone leaflet

I saw the announcement of the realease of Enterone's Hero in one of their leaflet's of future releases that came with Lover's Concerto DVD.

mrwilson 02-01-03 09:02 AM

Doesn't MiramAxe have the US rights to this? I thought I read its supposed to get a theatrical run in Nov. 03.

brombie 02-01-03 10:11 AM

Originally posted by zerotl
I don't even think anyone knows for sure when we're getting the movie in the theaters or if it's gonna be butchered, much along the r1 release.

Oh and tnx for the info wuken, I thought it's coming out in HK a lot earlier, but oh well. Anyway, I'm more interested in BulletProof Monk. Hehe.

BulletProof Monk has been universally panned by people who have seen it. To each its own, of course, but I suspect many more people will enjoy Hero than BPM.

Hero is amazing. It's very quiet and wise - it carries a good story and message but it also manages to excite by going through almost all the possible permutations of its superstars going on 1-1 battles :)

indycohiba 02-01-03 10:52 AM

I hope this is a really good movie!

iskandam 02-01-03 05:35 PM

you bet it is! IMHO one of the best wuxia movies ever made

mrwilson 02-01-03 05:41 PM

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but what is <b>wuxia</b>?

RichardW 02-01-03 06:42 PM

Taken from here:

The word wuxia is composed of two characters. The first character, wu is used to describe things having to do with martial arts, war, or the military. The second character, xia refers to the type of protagonist found in wuxia fiction, and is also a synonym for chivalry. Thus, wuxia fiction is translated as martial-chivalric fiction. The simplest way to describe this genre to those who are not familiar with it is to define it as Chinese swords and sorcery. Most gamers become familiar with wuxia, through films such as A Chinese Ghost Story, Swordsman and Zu.

iskandam 02-01-03 06:43 PM

wuxia is the swordplay martial arts genre. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is another movie in the wuxia genre.

mrwilson 02-01-03 07:09 PM

How do you pronounce wuxia?

DJariya 02-01-03 10:37 PM

Hero release on DVD

For anyone's Info, I checked with DDDHouse and Coolashop and Hero is supposed to be released in Hong Kong on DVD sometime in March. Not sure when though. Also, they did not inform me whether this will be the 2 hr version or 90 minute version.

iskandam 02-02-03 06:57 PM

woo-sha (as in "shark")

Still no word on which company will be releasing it in HK?

CheapBastid 02-02-03 10:44 PM

Re: Hero release on DVD

Originally posted by DJariya
For anyone's Info, I checked with DDDHouse and Coolashop and Hero is supposed to be released in Hong Kong on DVD sometime in March. Not sure when though. Also, they did not inform me whether this will be the 2 hr version or 90 minute version.
R0 (I hope)?

dizzlle01 02-10-03 09:09 PM

any confirmation on the hong dvd release date

hardtack 02-10-03 09:17 PM

So far the only listing I have seen is a pre-order at DVDShelf for the VCD on the 19th Feb... no sign of the DVD as yet.

Trigger 02-11-03 03:00 AM

Originally posted by hardtack
So far the only listing I have seen is a pre-order at DVDShelf for the VCD on the 19th Feb... no sign of the DVD as yet.
We'll see it sometime around the 20th or so... HK isn't big on pre-order.

joelgee 02-11-03 04:12 AM

http://www.monkeypeaches.com/

Per Monkeypeaches, the Hero DVD is out Feb. 20. A little exploration on this site should reveal (if memory serves) that this DVD has the 20 minutes restored, Eng. subs, but I believe it's going to be region 3.
J

boutitboutit 02-11-03 11:34 AM

Looks like Hero just got nominated for a Best Foreign Film Oscar.

Giles 02-11-03 01:10 PM

and that means the parellel importing of this DVD might be difficult or near impossible.

dleedlee 02-11-03 01:52 PM

It's been reported over at the Mobius forum that there will be two versions of the DVD, the theatrical cut and the longer director's cut. So caveat emptor when the DVD(s) come out.

joelgee 02-11-03 02:07 PM

At Monkeypeaches, the report is that on 2/20, a single layer DVD is released. On 2/27, the full doo-dah boat sails.
J