Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Murmur of the Heart (1971) / Souffle au coeur, Le (1971)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 08-18-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over a year ago I tried to describe a film in the hopes that someone could tell me the title. While listening to a commentary review of Tadpole (review) http://www.imdb.com/Title?0271219 by Ebert & Roper, Ebert commented on another film, Murmur of the heart.

Well wouldn't you know, there it is. I'm posting this in the International forum because a) given the subject matter i'm sure the film is banned in the US and therefore has little chance of a zone 1 release, and b) well, it has a foreign title, so why not.

Anyway, Would be interested in a release, any zone, any country. Any one know fo this film on DVD?

Souffle au coeur, Le (1971) http://www.imdb.com/Title?0067778

Also Known As:
Dearest Heart (1971)
Dearest Love (1971) (UK)
Herzflimmern (1971)
Murmur of the Heart (1971)
Soffio al cuore (1971) (Italy)

Last edited by FaustBos; 08-18-03 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-19-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know of this film being "banned" per se, I saw it in the theatres here when it first came out. The so-called incest in the film is actually pretty tame. I recall it having a great vintage Charlie Parker soundtrack, and it will probably eventually get a DVD release because Louis Malle is a fairly popular director here in the States. It's a very good film and can probably still be rented on VHS if you're just curious about it.
Old 08-19-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ah, VHS isn't an option i'm afraid. I saw the film on AMC (I think) some years ago. I really enjoyed it. Yeah, I think its the incest scene barely deserves a mention, but the MPAA doesn't use judgement, they count instances, and regardless of the severity of the incest, the subject matter is taboo. Granted the MPAA has no say in DVD distribution, and the movie is old enough to be off the radar maps of any "banning" organization, but I still doubt they'll be a zone 1. Lets hope anyway. I'd prefer a zone 1 if I can get one.
Old 08-19-03, 03:46 PM

Don't think many of Louis Malle's movies are available on DVD apart from the atypical "Damage" with Jeremy Irons. Another great film from this master is "Goodbye to Childhood": Au Revoir Les Enfants, and also yet to surface on disc. No incest scenes in this one, only the most harrowing ending imaginable. We'll have to wait a little longer I'm afraid.
Old 08-19-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hum, I dont know much by Louis Malle, I will look into some of his other films. I know that some people on this forum regularly have info about zone 2 releases in France, Italy and Spain, so i'm hoping there is an obscure release available somewhere.
Old 04-10-04, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Had to reopen this thread because I have finally found the film that I saw that night so long ago. It wasn't Souffle au coeur, Le (1971) but in fact....

Luna, La (1979) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079495/

"Recently widowed American opera diva Caterina takes her teenaged son Joe with her on a long singing tour to Italy. Absorbed in her hectic work in various Verdi operas around Rome, Caterina is soon shocked to discover that her troubled and lonely son has become a heroin addict. Her desperate attempts to wean the youth off the drug result in an incestuous relationship, but also in a possibility to reunite Joe--maybe even herself--with his real father, whose existence she has kept a secret from him."
Old 04-10-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

As far as I know....Bertolucci 's La Luna is not yet available in any region on DVD.

Pro-B
Old 04-10-04, 12:12 PM

Just rewatched my DVD (from PAL VHS) of Le Souffle au coeur and there's really nothing to censor.

Not seen La Luna for many years.