Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Fox Region Compatibility Problems

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 08-07-03, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've recently discovered some issues with 20th Century Fox DVD's not playing. When I put the disc into my player (a Panasonic RV-30, modified to be macrovision and region free), it brings up a screen telling me that the DVD is not formatted for play in this region, even though they are region 1 DVD's.

I have never had a problem playing any DVD's before. So far, this has happened with the R1 Futurama Season 1 box set and the R1 Just Married widescreen DVD. However, other Fox DVD's released recently have not given me any trouble (such as 25th Hour). Does anyone know why this would be? As far as I know, Fox doesn't place RCE encoding or anything of the like on their DVD's, and even if they do, I've never had a problem with RCE encoded DVD's before either. If anyone can provide any help or info, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-08-03, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try setting your player manually to R1, if possible. Some (RCE) discs will produce this message when the player RC does not match its own RC (and R0 = region-free qualifies as "no match" with R1).
I don't know if the titles you mentioned have RCE protection, though.