Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Looking for some recommendations (HK/Korean/DDDhouse)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-03, 08:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's been awhile since I've placed an order, or even really tracked what was going on w/ recent releases in the area so I'm looking for some advice/recommendations for my next import order. Here's what I have so far if anyone has comments on those

100 Ways To Murder Your Wife
Armour Of God*
Friend
Infernal Affairs
Inner Senses*
Joint Security Area*
La Brassiere*
Legend of Speed*
Lost Romance
PTU
Shaolin Soccer*

[* seen it/like it ]

To give you an idea of other ones I have here's the import list http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...s%29&id=nemein
and here's the list of "imports" released domestically that I have http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...c%29&id=nemein

TIA
Old 08-07-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
100 Ways To Murder Your Wife - old mid-80's pretty funny comedy starring Chow Yun Fat and Anita Mui. This was Chow BABT (before A Better Tomorrow) so he wasn't a superstar yet.

Friend - biggest all-time Korean box office hit when it came out, not sure if any other movie has surpassed it yet. Outstanding movie, lots of slang.

Infernal Affairs - best HK movie of 2002, one of the top 5 HK box office movies.

Lost Romance - haven't seen it

PTU - best HK movie out this year, though I wouldn't say that it was better than say Running Out of Time

scanning through your list, some other ones that I would recommend based on what you like (which I think is romantic comedy and action), without getting into much detail:

very recent HK ones (last 18 months or so):
The Eye (better than Inner Senses)
Mighty Baby (the follow-up to La Brassiere, not as good but ok)
Color Of The Truth (tries to copy Infernal Affairs, not quite as good but ok)
Just One Look
My Lucky Star
My Left Eye Sees Ghosts
Love Undercover

also Shaw Brothers has a lot of good old movies out there now. Some classics might include Come Drink With Me, Big Brother Cheng, 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Love In A Fallen City, Let's Make Laugh, House of 72 Tenants, etc.
Old 08-08-03, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the pointers. Actually I don't really care for HK comedies[1] all the ones I currently have are because of a particular actor. Speaking of which I was worried Lau Ching Wan wasn't doing much recently but I see a couple more I can add to the collection I'm still hoping he makes a jump to US films as I think he's probably the most versatile actor alive today. I have a feeling though the language might keep him away though and that doesn't do it HW itself will find a way to screw it up for him

Anyone else?

[1] Atleast Curry and Pepper, Security Unlimited and ones of those ilk didn't do anything for me and I eventually gave them to the library
Old 08-08-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>> Actually I don't really care for HK comedies[1] all the ones I currently have are because of a particular actor.

Hmm...well you can probably strike out My Lucky Star and My Left Eye Sees Ghosts then. Probably Love Undercover as well. Seems like you have most of the really good action stuff, at least from HK.
Old 08-08-03, 07:54 PM

My Left Eye Sees Ghosts is a LCW right? I'll probably get it then since actors trump genres Speaking of which do you know if Fat Choi Spirit any good?

Is My Lucky Star the Jackie Chan one?

Thanks for the recommendations I guess noone else likes me enough to help out