Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Versus, R2 Japanese vs. Media Blasters American 2-disc

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 08-07-03, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do the two versions compare? If the American one is just a port of the Japanese one plus more extras, I think I'll get it. It sounds like the American 2-disc is superior....anyone seen both?
Old 08-07-03, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The 2 discer got shipped from DDD a few days ago. The reviews should start pouring in tomorrow...
Old 08-23-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn it, we're like 2 weeks after the previous post, I was hoping for at least a few reviews.....

Where's the pouring of reviews? How about a slow trickle? Anything? Anyone? Bueller?
Old 08-23-03, 04:30 PM

I've got both discs but haven't watched the R1 since I just recently saw the R2J. Why's the R1 being called a Director's Cut? I thought the running time was the same.
Old 08-25-03, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah it's the same cut as the R2 DVD... The 2-Disc DVD Doesn't say it's a Director's Cut on the actual DVD case, so I don't know why it's being called that. There will be a NEW Versus DVD coming out sometime that will be the TRUE DIRECTOR'S CUT. It's going to have newly shot footage, etc ala George Lucas sytle...
Old 08-25-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There will be a NEW Versus DVD coming out sometime that will be the TRUE DIRECTOR'S CUT. It's going to have newly shot footage, etc ala George Lucas sytle...
Damn that Ruhei Kitamura
Old 08-25-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Heliosphann
Yeah it's the same cut as the R2 DVD... The 2-Disc DVD Doesn't say it's a Director's Cut on the actual DVD case, so I don't know why it's being called that. There will be a NEW Versus DVD coming out sometime that will be the TRUE DIRECTOR'S CUT. It's going to have newly shot footage, etc ala George Lucas sytle...
I thought I just read in the "Versus" thread over in DVD talk about this "director's cut" stuff. The talk was that the current releases (single or double disc) are the true director's cut, and that he was doing the refilming etc. because he simply enjoyed playing around with the flick, but that the current release is the true director's flick. Shrug.

I'm STILL debating about whether or not I want to buy this flick.
Old 08-25-03, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I would not wait for the "Versus 1.5" flick. The current version of the movie is long enough.

I'm content with my German Tin.
BTW there is a screenshot comparison of the US, the Japanese and the German (the Tin DVD):
http://www.mustseemovies.de/versus/HTML/versus.htm

Last edited by Frenzy; 08-25-03 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-26-03, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The region one 2 disc set is excellent. I had a region 0 (yuck!!) copy and the features had not subtitles. At least this version has it.
Old 08-26-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Frenzy
Well, I would not wait for the "Versus 1.5" flick. The current version of the movie is long enough.

I'm content with my German Tin.
BTW there is a screenshot comparison of the US, the Japanese and the German (the Tin DVD):
http://www.mustseemovies.de/versus/HTML/versus.htm
Am I hallucinating, or does it seem that each shot is shown in order of quality, from best to worst? It seems that the US picture is the blurriest of the bunch! I was thinking of purchasing this today, but I'm gonna hold off for a bit and see what others say about that.....

Anyone? Do you see it too? Is it a fraud? Laff.....
Old 08-26-03, 11:17 PM

It's not just you...

http://pub127.ezboard.com/fhongkongd...cID=2605.topic