Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any info on the Korean Fistful of Dollars 2 disc set?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 08-06-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,380 Posts

I found out about this R3 2-disc set of Fistful of Dollars from Korea, that is supposed to be anamorphic and has 2 cuts of the film (maybe one cut features the extra material shot for the films original TV broadcast??). Anyone have any info on this disc as to how it looks and sounds? Seeing how MGM has no immediate plans to redo their current DVD of the film, the Korean one looks tempting to me.

http://www.koreandvds.com./dvddetail.html?id=9186
Old 08-06-03, 10:26 PM
Banned by request

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Any info on the Korean Fistful of Dollars 2 disc set?

Originally posted by cultshock
Seeing how MGM has no immediate plans to redo their current DVD of the film...
Well, actually, yes, they do. A restoration has been done on both A Fistful of Dollars and The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly. I have seen the restoration of the latter, and talked to the guy who is doing the restoration for all of the MGM Leone films. He said MGM is going to put the restored The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly onto DVD next year, with Fistful not far behind. Unless this R3 edition has the newly restored Fistful of Dollars on it, I would just wait a bit for the new DVD.

Now, one thing I cannot understand is that this guy decided to restore both The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly and Duck, You Sucker! before For A Few Dollars More. Not that those movies aren't good, it just makes sense to do the movies chronologically, unless he's doing it by amount of work needed (perhaps For A Few Dollars More needs very little work).
Old 08-06-03, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,380 Posts
Interesting, I knew about the restoration of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (and am anxiously awaiting the DVD) , but wasn't aware of the restoration of Fistful of Dollars. That would be encouraging news.