DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Days of Being Wild - is the HK DVD worth it, or should I wait? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/308133-days-being-wild-hk-dvd-worth-should-i-wait.html)

trdn89 07-29-03 02:44 PM

Days of Being Wild - is the HK DVD worth it, or should I wait?

I've looked for info on this movie, and although I found some info on the HK release, I'm still kinda on the fence about it. Considering that I've never seen the movie before on any format, would it be more worthwhile for me to wait and see if a superior release comes out somewhere else in the world, or should I just cut my losses and go with the Mega Star version (or hell, even go with renting the VHS copy)? I am DYING to see this movie after recently re-re-re-rediscovering In The Mood For Love, but I'm kinda worried about crappy presentation ruining the experience.

If you need a frame of reference, I have the Mei Ah Ashes of Time, and I'd say that that's watchable enough to suffice (although all it REALLY makes me want to do is see it on the big screen). Any help would be appreciated.

Fandango 07-29-03 02:57 PM

Being that its a pretty old movie, I think it looks fine. Ashes of Time has horrible dvd releases so anything is better than that really. While the transfer is not the best it could be I don't think it's bad at all and I say you should get it.

indycohiba 07-29-03 09:12 PM

Go for it! It's worth the purchase.

Yellow Hammer 07-30-03 12:56 AM

the Megastar version of Days Of Being Wild was one of the first HK movies with the anamorphic treatment on DVD from a HK distributor, with a more than adequate picture given the age of the movie (circa 1989). Given that it's an artsy moody kind of movie with a limited audience reach, I seriously doubt if there would be a better version forthcoming. BTW, I personally consider this to be WKW's best movie along with As Tears Go By. FWIW, I bought this DVD the day it was released in HK, for $115HK, so I assume you can get it cheaper nowadays.

As someone else mentioned, the Ashes of Time Mei Ah DVD release was terrible, so I'll assure you that the Days Of Being Wild Megastar release is much much better.

BabyBuddha 08-01-03 03:13 PM

Hmmm...I'd have to disagree. While the picture might be alright the subtitles are AWFUL. So bad, in fact, that I often found myself going back to re-read a line just to work out what the translator was trying to say.

Great film - no question there -- just hoping somebody does a better translation.

slax 08-01-03 03:49 PM

are the subs on the megastar removable or burnt-in?

because I have the CAV release and their burnt-in but very understandable

Picture Q is not to great but hey I got it for 99 cents

Yellow Hammer 08-01-03 06:31 PM

the sub translations are no worse than any typical HK movie produced in HK. Then again, I don't depend on subs. If there was anything blatanly bad or if the timing was off I would have remembered.

CrumpsBrother 08-02-03 02:03 PM

Originally posted by Yellow Hammer
BTW, I personally consider this to be WKW's best movie along with As Tears Go By.
I completely agree. I've been waiting for better versions of these two flicks to come out somewhere in the world, but maybe it's time to break down and buy these...