DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Nausicaa Region 2 DVD - November 19th (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/307477-nausicaa-region-2-dvd-november-19th.html)

RichardW 07-26-03 10:51 AM

Nausicaa Region 2 DVD - November 19th

It's finally got a release date in Japan. Three versions will be available - one standard edition and two collectible editions.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/anime/ghibli/nausicaa.html

:up:

RichDB10 07-26-03 01:56 PM

Very impressive looking packages!!

I wonder if there are any 'collectors' out there who are going to pick up both 'collectible' editions because of the difference in 'softcovers'?....mind you at $175 for the 'pre-order' Special edition they would have to have more money than sense.

Ok...off to order both now :D (Joke!..sadly 'Rich' by name only)

joelgee 07-26-03 02:39 PM

There's also an all-region, full-screen version available at DDDHouse now for $60.00 HK.
J

mrwilson 07-26-03 03:51 PM

Got a link? I can't find it there.

joelgee 07-26-03 04:12 PM

Sorry about that. They have it listed as Warriors of the Wind.
J

buckee1 07-26-03 07:28 PM

I looked at the CDjapan discs and didn't see whether there would be any subs. Anyone know if this will be subbed?

Fandango 07-26-03 08:17 PM

It plainly says Subtitles: English Japanese. I can almost guarantee you that it has subs as all the other Ghibli dvds have them too.

Gimbob 07-26-03 11:41 PM

I bought it from dvdasian.com but a bit pricey.

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvda...ml?id=4GmsMcXR

buckee1 07-27-03 06:10 AM

Originally posted by Fandango
It plainly says Subtitles: English Japanese. I can almost guarantee you that it has subs as all the other Ghibli dvds have them too.
Duh, I never clicked through to the item on the site. Thanks for the info. Ordered mine this morning.

joelgee 07-27-03 08:28 AM

I bought it from dvdasian.com but a bit pricey.
A bit pricey?
Looks like the same version as at DDDhouse for $60 HK=7.69349 USD
DVDAsian=19.95 USD
J

ntuc 07-27-03 09:12 AM

I will get the boxset. i got spirited away boxset and castle in the sky boxset. so no way i am miss out this boxset.

Raxel 07-27-03 02:05 PM

Originally posted by joelgee
A bit pricey?
Looks like the same version as at DDDhouse for $60 HK=7.69349 USD
DVDAsian=19.95 USD
J

and less than $5 on ebay.

mlindber 07-28-03 12:13 PM

Is the HK release anamorphic?

Giles 07-28-03 01:07 PM

The CDJapan listing denotes as the DVD as having two Japanese audio tracks: ??, is one of these a 5.1 remix?

Mr. Toast 07-28-03 05:07 PM

FYI - Warriors of the Wind is hacked and mangled version of Nausicaa that in no way, shape or form has any bearing on the real film. Even $5 spent on it is a complete waste. You will not be happy. A release in japan means that the R3 and R1 versions will follow suit. You're patience will be rewarded.

joelgee 07-28-03 05:40 PM

"Warriors of the Wind is hacked and mangled version of Nausicaa that in no way, shape or form has any bearing on the real film. Even $5 spent on it is a complete waste. You will not be happy. A release in japan means that the R3 and R1 versions will follow suit. You're patience will be rewarded."

Thanks. Noted, logged, and recorded. I've waited this long, I can wait 'til November.

Um. Just how is it hacked and mangled. I know it's fullscreen which is one point against it, but how else. A 116-minute running time is listed. Is there much hacked out? Funky subtitles?
Just curious.
J

MrBob 07-28-03 07:46 PM

A little off topic but is anybody getting "The Cat Returns?" I just ordered the r3 version.

Sifu 07-29-03 12:47 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Toast
FYI - Warriors of the Wind is hacked and mangled version of Nausicaa that in no way, shape or form has any bearing on the real film. Even $5 spent on it is a complete waste. You will not be happy. A release in japan means that the R3 and R1 versions will follow suit. You're patience will be rewarded.
Yes, and no. the "Warriors of the Wind" that was released in the US was hacked and mangled. But other countries have released the movie under that title in it's uncut form. The DVD that was being mentioned is uncut with a running time of around 116 minutes. It is not hacked nor mangled.

Sifu 07-29-03 12:50 AM

Forgot to mention, the DVD is actually letterboxed, not fullscreen.

joelgee 07-29-03 05:26 AM

the DVD is actually letterboxed, not fullscreen.
DDDHouse has it listed as a 4:3 ratio. They have the wrong figures?

Sifu 07-29-03 09:08 AM

Originally posted by joelgee
DDDHouse has it listed as a 4:3 ratio. They have the wrong figures?
It's 4:3 (letterboxed), not 4:3 (1.33:1).

So I guess they are not wrong, they just don't include the letterboxed part :)

Giles 07-29-03 02:57 PM

well at least now I can get rid of my letterbox Japanese LD edition of "Nausicaa" and enjoy it subtitled. Any word if Disney is going to do a dub for a possible US release?

hardtack 07-29-03 05:36 PM

Originally posted by MrBob
A little off topic but is anybody getting "The Cat Returns?" I just ordered the r3 version.
I have had the Japanese release of The Cat Returns for a while now and really did enjoy it... although I think it is not quite as good as Whisper of the Heart for which it is a sequel of sorts.

I don't know if it is also included on the R3 disc, but the accompanying Ghiblis Episode 2 is a superb series of animations featuring a number of people working at the Studios... very nicely animated in a number of different styles and very funny as well.

regards, Tim...

MrBob 07-30-03 11:23 AM

Yeah Whisper of the heart is a personal fav also. Ghiblies isn't on the R3, but I just couldn't justify spending damn near 2 times as much for the same movie. I have the R3 Spirited Away and despite the extra Red (which I don't mind) it is a very well done disc.

jonathan.e 07-30-03 12:44 PM

Amazon now have Nausicaa up at 20% off. Approx $30