Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

FOX DVDs of HK movies. Thumbs Up!

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 07-25-03, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fox has recently released some Hong Kong movies on DVD:
Magnificent Butcher, Magnificent Warriors, Hong Kong 1941, Naked Killer and City Hunter.

In a nut-shell, Fox has done an excellent job.

* Naked Killer is reported to be a cut version to achieve the R rating.

Since everyone complains that US publishers do not give any respect to Asian movies on DVD, Fox has stepped up to the plate and provided a home run. It is said that these restored prints are licensed from UK's Hong Kong Legends. The better news is, these are newly mastered DVD, instead of ports from the HKL masters. The results are improved, and at times superior version of DVD!

The main let down is the use of in-accurate dub-titles for the English subtitles, and are Interlaced sourced.

I feel we should show our appreciation for Fox, and purchase these products, maybe except for Naked Killer.

I have some screen shots to compare the Fox and Hong Kong Legends releases of some HK movies.

http://204.92.69.141/misc/Magnificent_Butcher/
Pretty much the same image quality on both releases, except there is no vertical distortion on the FOX DVD.

http://204.92.69.141/misc/Magnificent_Warriors/
FOX release is the proper aspect ratio. The HKL DVD is noticebly cropped, and has poor dark detail.

Hong Kong 1941 screenshots:
http://204.92.69.141/misc/HK1941/

City Hunter comparison screenshots:
204.92.69.141/misc/City_Hunter/
FOX release has better colour saturation and dark details, but again, uses dubtitles. HKL has the more accurate subtitles.

NOTE:
I used PowerDVD for the screendumps. This resulted in very poor dumps of the PAL format HKL DVDs.

I have resized the HKL screendumps, so they are now a much better representation of the DVD aspect ratio for comparisons.

J.T.

Last edited by jtkv; 07-27-03 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-25-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the info, and screen shots - I must say, the Fox Magnificent Warriors appears to be a major improvement over the HKL.
Old 07-25-03, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
wow... I thought HKL was supposed to be good. Fox did a great job it looks like.
Old 07-25-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: FOX DVDs of HK movies. Thumbs Up!

Originally posted by jtkv
Naked Killer is reported to be a cut version to achieve the R rating.
Worst news ever. Why did they choose to release this title if they were going to release the cut version?!? How many people were clamoring for an edited "Naked Killer"? They should have released a different title, IMO.
Old 07-25-03, 01:50 PM

Why are we giving props for dubtitles and a cut version?

Jeff
Old 07-25-03, 03:20 PM

Not to body pile, but didn't Fox refuse to include Bey Logan's commentary on any of these HKL re-release because of his "accent"?

It's too ridiculous to be true, btw. I got my Once Upon a Time in China trilogy last weekend and I thought Bey's commentaries are excellent. I grew up in Asia and I didn't even know some of the cultural things that he pointed out in the movie.
Old 07-25-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,021 Likes on 1,390 Posts
Well, these releases overall aren't perfect, but I'll definitely pick up Magnificent Butcher anyway. I didn't want to get the HKL version due to the vertical squeezing, so I'm glad Fox fixed it.

Big thumbs down for the cut Naked Killer and missing commentaries though.
Old 07-26-03, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought 3 of these movies (City Hunter, Magnificent Butcher & Magnificent Warriors) and i must say i am damn impressed with the video presentation.

It sucks that the subtitles are straight dub-titles but maybe (fingers crossed) maybe, if these movies sell well enough FOX might get the hint and more movies will be relased.

My only real grip is that R1 subtitled movies tend to show all of what a person is saying (even before they say some things) as to where the HK discs only show what people are saying at that moment.

The HK discs also translate written text used in the film
Old 07-26-03, 08:39 AM

I bought naked killer today and I have to say I'm very disappointed. While video quality is fine, the Cantonese audio sound is way too low, I have to turn 15db higher than normal. I think this will be my only FOX-HKL purchase. R2 HKL is better than these FOX releases.
Old 07-26-03, 04:48 PM

FOX DVDs are good and not just ports of HKL

Although these DVDs are using dubtitles, the translation is actually pretty good, although not perfect or 100% accurate.
They remain faithfull to the dialogue and storyline.
And just to be fair to Fox, the HKL subtitles are not 100% accurate on all their DVDs either.

As for the audio, I too noticed the Fox DVDs are not as loud as the HKL counterpart. I guess that's what the volume control on the TV/receiver/amplifier is for

For $12CDN, these DVDs are a bargain, and definitely worth the purchase (except for Naked Killer, which is cut). Personaly, I will buy all the titles released by Fox as a show of support, as long as it's not cut or tampered with in some unacceptable fashion (like Naked Killer).

Also, the interviews included on these DVDs are not the same ones as on the R2 HKL DVDs. The interviews are very movie specific, instead of general career info about the actors as on the HKL discs.
I especially like the Promotional Material extras included. They showcase the original poster art and promo materials used to promote the movie. Very nice...

It appears that theses DVDs are not ports of the HKL product, but are new masters from restored prints licensed from Fortune Star.
HKL licensed their prints from MediaAsia, whose distribution rights has expired (thankfully), and reverted back to Fortune Star. If HKL had been dealing with Fortune Star from the start, they would have much better prints, instead of the cropped stuff that Media Asia has been shamefully providing them with.

Evidence to support that theory:
Correct aspect ratio of Magnificient Warriors (HKL was badly cropped)
Not vertically strected image on Magnificent Buthcer (HKL was slightly stretched)
Image has much better colour saturation and dark details. These are defnitely not the same prints used by HKL to master their DVDs from.
English subtitles are dubtitles
English soundtracks is totally different from the HKL version
Different text for opening title screens
Different interviews and extras

That's prabably why the HKL Bey Logan comentary track isn't on here. Fox did not license the product from HKL to begin with.

If Fox did not feel the need to include the commentary from Bey Logan, then so be it. You have the choice to buy the R2 HKL DVDs, or these R1 Fox DVDs. Not need to slag either product.
Both are worthwhile products to add to your collection.

J.T.

Last edited by jtkv; 07-26-03 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-28-03, 12:08 AM

Or...

you could read where the people posting above got their info:

http://pub127.ezboard.com/fhongkongd...cID=2551.topic

Old 07-28-03, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the fact that the discs have the orginal posters too.

Even though i can't understand a word of chinese, its still nice to have the orginal trailers as well.

So where can i contact FOX and tell them how i feel about the discs?
Old 07-28-03, 12:01 PM

Sounds like I have some buying to do later tonight.
Old 07-28-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by UAIOE
Even though i can't understand a word of chinese, its still nice to have the orginal trailers as well.
The trailers aren't subtitled? Lame!
Old 07-29-03, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why are non-subtitled trailers lame? If knowing what they are saying is that huge of a deal, might i suggest watching the actual movie?

Besides, i'm used to non-subbed trailers because they arent subbed on HK discs.
Old 07-29-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by UAIOE
Besides, i'm used to non-subbed trailers because they arent subbed on HK discs.
I guess they're cool then, if you're used to watching them that way. My mistake.
Old 08-03-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 434 Likes on 303 Posts
What's cut in the Fox release of Naked Killer - and is it worth getting the uncut-R0 version even though the Fox version has better video quality (and is much cheaper)?
Old 08-04-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ anyone?

I figured since people seemed so pissed off about this they'd at least know what the edits are and if they are worth the difference in A/V quality, if there are any.
Old 08-05-03, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm gonna keep bumping this until someone answers me.
Old 08-06-03, 08:09 AM

From http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/compari...e.php?fid=1942

R1 - (America) - Yes - The running time is 90 minutes, which means, that there is approx of 7 mins of cuts. This would also mean, that this version includes the additional dialogue scenes from the directors cut (the original version ran for 87mins). Apparently, the cuts here are to two main scenes that involve Princess and her lover (lesbian scenes) (Thank you for the Rewind user Pedicab_Driver for this info).