Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

GREAT DEAL!!! R2 (WS) Buffy Box Sets only ~$50 each (shipped)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 07-17-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this on another board:

http://www.dvdzone2.com/

Buffy Season 1: EUR 29.99 -17.5% VAT
Buffy season 2: EUR 49.99 -17.5% VAT
Buffy season 3: EUR 49.99 -17.5% VAT
(The following are in WS in R2):
Buffy season 4: EUR 49.99 -17.5% VAT
Buffy season 5: EUR 49.99 -17.5% VAT
Buffy season 6: EUR 49.99 -17.5% VAT

1 EURO = ~ $1.12

Shipping:
Economic shipping formula (priority postal shipping) - Multi-Shipping (min. 2 items) 3.95€ by item
or
Economic shipping formula (priority postal shipping) - Mono-Shipping 6.00€ by order (max. 10 items)
or they offer an expedited shipping for about 20€

Looks like they even take VAT off the shipping charge.
so only 4.95€

I have never ordered from here, so I cannot vouch for them.

-Brett
Old 07-17-03, 06:34 PM

Thats about the same price for Amazon.co.uk too. They also remove VAT.
Old 07-18-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Prices at amazon.co.uk are about £60, much, much more, even after removing the VAT. They are about £40 (except S6 is about £56) at CD Wow (and I don't think they remove the VAT), still more even with their free shipping worldwide. See:

http://www.dvdpricecheck.co.uk/index...7dece0a90684bf

I'll vouch for DVD Zone 2. I have bought a number of things from them and I think they are one of the best.

And thanks for the tip, I don't know why but I never checked DVD Zone 2 for Buffy. I just ordered Seasons 4, 5 & 6. I know they are not full screen which, according to Joss Whedon, is the way they should be presented, but I trust Josh Z who said in another (very contentious) thread that they nevertheless look better in 1.78:1.

One thing - if you noticed, the languages printed on the packages are listed as French and Dutch; English isn't listed. That doesn't bother me but I know it bothers some people. Of course, they have English soundtracks, and that's all I care about.

Edit: I just checked my email and I received a promo from DVD Zone 2 about the Buffy sets. Apparently, they are 50% off their regular price. I checked amazon.fr and saw they are selling half seasons for Euro 49.99 and full seasons for Euro 99.99 so this makes sense. The Buffy sets from regions other than R1 have always been much more expensive and this is indeed a great deal, especially if one is interested in the 1.78:1 versions.

BTW, they are also selling X-Files seasons for Euro 44.99-49.99 (Seasons 1-6) which is an unbelievable deal considering what they cost in R1. Again, they are twice as much from amazon.fr.

I know the DVD Zone 2 sets are Benelux (Belgium-Netherlands-Luxembourg) and not French but I have gotten Benelux DVDs before and found them to be just as good.

Another edit - Friday morning, July 18 - my Buffy sets have already shipped!

Last edited by movielib; 07-18-03 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-18-03, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by movielib
And thanks for the tip, I don't know why but I never checked DVD Zone 2 for Buffy. I just ordered Seasons 4, 5 & 6. I know they are not full screen which, according to Joss Whedon, is the way they should be presented, but I trust Josh Z who said in another (very contentious) thread they they nevertheless look better in 1.78:1.
Hey movielib got a link to Josh Z's review? [I'm assuming it was a review..]
Old 07-18-03, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Rogue588
Here's the thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...y&pagenumber=1
Old 07-18-03, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed in at least one of the pictures they showed the UK version, with its "15" certificate.

Could someone, when they receive a set, post and let us know if the packaging is actually different from the UK editions?
Old 07-18-03, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Bleddyn Williams
I noticed in at least one of the pictures they showed the UK version, with its "15" certificate.

Could someone, when they receive a set, post and let us know if the packaging is actually different from the UK editions?
Sure, mine have already shipped. I'll let you know.
Old 07-18-03, 08:59 AM

Movielib, are those prices E49.99 BEFORE removing VAT? Amazon's where about E49 after removing VAT.
Old 07-18-03, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by mrwilson
Movielib, are those prices E49.99 BEFORE removing VAT? Amazon's where about E49 after removing VAT.
That is before removing VAT. With VAT removed they are E41.31. I got three sets shipped for a total shipping cost of E4.96. Total price for 3 seasons, shipped is E128.29 or $143.61.

And amazon.co.uk's prices are in British pounds, not Euros. £49 is $77.71. And their shipping is much higher than DVD Zone 2's. You'd pay much, much more at amazon.co.uk.

(I'm leaving momentarily for the Land of My In-laws where computers are few and far between. I may or may not be able to post again before Sunday evening.)

Last edited by movielib; 07-18-03 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-18-03, 09:58 AM

Sweet, thanks!
Old 07-18-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
I just ordered Seasons 4, 5 & 6. I know they are not full screen which, according to Joss Whedon, is the way they should be presented, but I trust Josh Z who said in another (very contentious) thread that they nevertheless look better in 1.78:1.
Aw crap, now I'm on the line!

For what it's worth, I advocate owning both the region 2 (or 4) and region 1 releases so you can watch it both ways. Plus, the region 1 has a new commentary from Joss Whedon.

Originally posted by Rogue588
There was a very long and heated thread about this some time ago, involving much yelling and name calling.

You can, however, cut to the chase and just read my two reviews for Region 2 and Region 1.
Old 07-20-03, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Josh Z
Aw crap, now I'm on the line!

For what it's worth, I advocate owning both the region 2 (or 4) and region 1 releases so you can watch it both ways. Plus, the region 1 has a new commentary from Joss Whedon...
Josh, I already do have the R1 Season 4. I thought at the DVD Zone 2 price it was worth getting the R2 version also.

And FWIW, although I never did get directly involved in the discussion in that thread I thought you were unfairly mistreated. I've always respected your opinions and this was no exception.
Old 07-20-03, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gracias, movielib.
Old 07-21-03, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And FWIW, although I never did get directly involved in the discussion in that thread I thought you were unfairly mistreated. I've always respected your opinions and this was no exception.

Hardly a discussion, more a medieval witch hunt. Poor display by Whedon camp-followers.
Old 07-25-03, 09:17 AM

Just wondering - anyone received one of these sets yet?
Old 07-25-03, 11:21 AM

Got mine yesterday but only had a chance to watch part of the first ep from S5.
Old 07-25-03, 11:40 AM

Good to hear. Can you comment on the set's artwork/packaging? Is it in English, or other languages? As commented earlier, at least one of the pictured sets had a UK BBFC certificate on it, but the tech specs infer they are euro versions.

Also - was your set well packaged for shipping?

Last edited by Bleddyn Williams; 07-25-03 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-25-03, 01:41 PM

Yes, it was pack well. I had mine sent EMS and it only took two days. The Euro packaging rules! Its a nice hard cover book in a thick slipcase. The pages are in French I think. Didn't look hard. Half of the pages are the episode descriptions and the other half actually hold the DVDs. R1 should do it this way! The menus are plain, R1 beats them here.

S4 says its 4:3 letterboxed but they are in fact 16:9.
Old 07-25-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had mine sent the cheap way (BTW, they ended up charging me nothing for shipping - not even the E4.96 - don't know why). Haven't gotten it yet.
Old 07-29-03, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Bleddyn Williams
Good to hear. Can you comment on the set's artwork/packaging? Is it in English, or other languages? As commented earlier, at least one of the pictured sets had a UK BBFC certificate on it, but the tech specs infer they are euro versions.

Also - was your set well packaged for shipping?
I received mine today. I think they are gorgeous. I love the "book" style packaging. And you won't get any floaters like so many of us have gotten in the R1 sets. And the R2 sets take up only about one-half the shelf space of the R1 sets. The R2 packaging is just superior to the R1 in every way.

If the UK packaging (I've never seen it) is the book type then they must be very much the same. The main artwork is identical to what's shown on amazon.co.uk but they don't have the rating printed on the outside on the front. It's on an outer single sheet that folds into the back and on the bottom and, BTW, it's a "12." It's kind of nice, that keeps the box looking very "clean." But maybe the "15s" on the British sets are not on the box but on the shrinkwrap. I don't know.

The package arrived kind of beat up but the styrofoam peanuts protected everything well and it is all perfect.

Most of the writing is in Dutch and French. But the front of the boxes and the "books" are written in English (with "(Contre Les Vampires)" underneath the main title) as are the episode titles in the Dutch parts. The descriptions of the episodes are only in Dutch and French. The chapters in the Dutch part are actually in English and they are in French in the French part.

As mrwilson said, the Season 4 set says "Widescreen version" but under that it says "4:3." It also says, "Presented in 1.33:1 aspect ratio" but it is indeed 1.78:1. Just one of those dumb mistakes.

I've only watched a very little, just to get a feel for them. The 1.78:1 composition looks very nice so far and does not appear "wrong" or awkward.

Last edited by movielib; 07-29-03 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-30-03, 08:11 AM

I've watched the first disc from S5 and felt the PQ was a little soft. This could be my player, JVC 602, and the fact I watched the R1 S4 on my Panny XP50.
Old 07-30-03, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I received mine today. I think they are gorgeous. I love the "book" style packaging. And you won't get any floaters like so many of us have gotten in the R1 sets. And the R2 sets take up only about one-half the shelf space of the R1 sets. The R2 packaging is just superior to the R1 in every way.
The problem with the 'book' packaging is that if you open it too wide or too often, you'll put creases in the spine area. You have to be very careful when handling these box sets.
Old 07-30-03, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Josh Z
The problem with the 'book' packaging is that if you open it too wide or too often, you'll put creases in the spine area. You have to be very careful when handling these box sets.
Thanks for the tip. I'll be careful.
Old 07-30-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've watched the first disc from S5 and felt the PQ was a little soft. This could be my player, JVC 602, and the fact I watched the R1 S4 on my Panny XP50.
There are some scenes that are a bit soft, but overall I thought Season 5 looked better than Season 4. Season 6 is about on par with Season 5, although there did seem to be a lot more grain in the picture.