Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Just saw HERO. Excellent movie but.......

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 07-15-03, 02:54 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the ending was so unfullfilling!!! The acting, swords scenes, soundtrack and everything else was superb. Pacing was about right. Wish there was a different ending though. Could easily be the HK movie of the year. Very CTHD like but I think it's a notch or two better.
Old 07-15-03, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, it's not really an HK movie being that the director is from China and it was shot there as well. That being said, the honor of HK movie of the year (counting 2002 since Hero was released in December) really deserves to go to Infernal Affairs which was a stunning film. As for the ending yes it was sort of unfulfilling but it was logical in the context of the film.
Old 07-15-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 173 Posts
Infernal Affairs was a great movie, but its ending (both versions, actually) was also very unsatisfying.
Old 07-15-03, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's hard to compare Infernal Affairs with Hero. Both had the potential to become movie of the year. Hero, was just sadly butchered by Weinstein and crew, which accounts for the demand for the 'extended' version that bobs its head out of the water occassionally to tease us.

The alternate ending of Infernal Affairs, seems like the 'mainland' ending, where crime doesn't pay.

If I had to choose, I would choose Infernal Affairs as the better movie. Hero was beautifully filmed though.
Old 07-17-03, 08:50 AM

IA was the better movie, the original ending was not too bad, the alternate ending was plain sloppy and too easy.

Hero was like multiple movies within a movie. I liked it but felt it didn't move along smoothly throughout. Dare I say it, I wished there were less of the "action" sequences and a little more dialogue.
Old 07-18-03, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For the record, at the HKFA Awards (HK's equivalent to the Oscars), Hero took most of the technical awards but Infernal Affairs won the big name awards (Best Movie, Best Actor, Best Director, Best Supporting Actor, etc)
Old 07-18-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mapson
IA was the better movie, the original ending was not too bad, the alternate ending was plain sloppy and too easy.
Spoiler:
The theatrical ending was better than the alternate ending, but it would be greatly improved if they had removed the funeral sequence and ended the movie after the lobby scene. The upbeat "His secret is revealed and now everyone can know that he was really a good person after all" part was a badly tacked-on copout.

I do like that the "Bad Guy" gets away with it and decides to reform his ways, but no one can ever know.
Old 07-18-03, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by Josh Z
Spoiler:
The theatrical ending was better than the alternate ending, but it would be greatly improved if they had removed the funeral sequence and ended the movie after the lobby scene. The upbeat "His secret is revealed and now everyone can know that he was really a good person after all" part was a badly tacked-on copout.

I do like that the "Bad Guy" gets away with it and decides to reform his ways, but no one can ever know.
Spoiler:
I don't know, I like the fact that the funeral sequence was in there. We, the audience knows that he was really undercover but I liked that the film show the characters close to him realize he was not a bad person.
Old 07-18-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mapson
Spoiler:
I don't know, I like the fact that the funeral sequence was in there. We, the audience knows that he was really undercover but I liked that the film show the characters close to him realize he was not a bad person.
I think the dramatic irony would have been much more powerful had they not gone that way.

Spoiler:
The movie is (obviously) about dualism. The two main characters' lives were mirror images of one another. Now one still has to live with his secret but the other gets off the hook by having it revealed? That doesn't play right.

IMO, anyway.