Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Deer Hunter 2 Disc Special edition - 8/4/03!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

The Deer Hunter 2 Disc Special edition - 8/4/03!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really don't like the new cover or the fact that the US companies can't step up and get us some sweet releases like this.

DAMN THE CORPORATE MACHINE!!!!
Old 07-05-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is decent.....much better than some of the junk we have been getting lately. As soon as the Brits confirm the status of the film (new transfer?) I will pick it up.
Old 07-24-03, 09:50 AM

any reviews up for this yet?
Old 07-25-03, 03:56 PM

I have read the current edition of empire magazine - in it is an article stating that the director's audio commentary will be exclusive to the region 2 edition due to the fact at the end of commentary Michal Cimino was very emotional at the end, even to the point of crying and stating "I will never do one of these commentary's again." Can't wait to hear this. This is shaping up to be one of the must have dvd's especialy if the picture and sound has been significantly improved.
Old 08-04-03, 02:06 PM
Cool New Member

Anyone get this yet? Any reviews? I'm anxious to find out if this is as good as it looks.
Old 08-04-03, 02:52 PM

from the bbc.co.uk:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2003/08/0...d_review.shtml

Three men are put through the ultimate horrors of imprisonment in Vietnam in Michael Cimino's searing study of friendship and the mental devastation that war wreaks. Previously available on a features-light single DVD, Studio Canal has now brought out a double disc edition that's a vast improvement, although technical presentation of the film could still be better.

TECHNICAL FEATURES

Picture The image quality on this disc does appear to be better than the previous UK DVD release, although some scenes do look grainier and more washed out than they should be.

Sound We get the same stereo mix as on the last DVD. It's a little thin at times but is certainly clear.

SPECIAL FEATURES

Audio Commentary Exclusive to this UK DVD is this new commentary from Michael Cimino. It's quite a coup as he takes us on a fascinating trip behind the making of the film.

This commentary is bang up to date, as you'll understand when Cimino explains the funding of the film. At the time it was made, no US studio thought that there would be a market for such a movie as they were going through political turmoil over Vietnam that Cimino compares to the UK with Iraq. Funding in the end came from EMI, which backed the project even though no script was written.

There are plenty of anecdotes to enjoy and Cimino explains everything in great detail, including his fondness for jump cuts in the movie. As he explains, he thinks dissolves are a cop-out when clearly you're unable to make a decisive cut.

Realising "The Deer Hunter" Michael Cimino makes for an arresting sight in this in-depth interview. If you'll be fascinated by one thing, it will be the extraordinary granny ash he is able to accumulate on his cigarette as he talks.

Cimino tells the story of how De Niro was first to see the script and asked to see the locations. Cimino and De Niro went to visit the steel mill used in the movie and were shown about by Chuck Aspegren. So impressed were they by him that they offered him a part in the movie. That's a pleasant enough anecdote to hear about, but Cimino saves the excitement for last when he explains the chilling story behind the Russian roulette scene and the real-life near-helicopter crash.

Shooting "The Deer Hunter" Cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond talks about working with Cimino and his encouragement in allowing actors to improvise. Vilmos liked that aspect but hated the "corny patriotic b******t" ending when he read the script. Cimino told Vilmos to trust him and once it came time to film the scene, tears flowed for real from all the cast and crew.

Playing "The Deer Hunter" John Savage has clearly been affected by making "The Deer Hunter", as he struggles to keep his emotions in check when talking about it here in this interview. His father had suffered from nightmares after the Korean War, which gave John powerful ammunition for his performance. By the end of this 15-minute conversation, he just can't take it anymore.

Additional Extra Features Also on this DVD is a small photo gallery, a trailer, and a DVD ROM press book reproduction. Sadly Studio Canal has not taken the chance to put any subtitles at all on this release, just as with their previous single disc DVD.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
Chapters: 20
Ratio: 2.35:1 (anamorphic)
Sound: Dolby Digital 2.0 (stereo)
Audio Tracks: English
Subtitles: None
Captions: None
Menus: Animated, with music
Special Features Subtitles None of the special features come with subtitles.

This DVD was reviewed on a JVC XV-N5 DVD player.

looks good - any more reviews?
Old 08-07-03, 08:58 AM

just a note to anyone living in the U.K - Safeway the supermarket chain are offering this for a very good price of £9.99 - got mine today on my lunch break - check it out 2nite

later
Old 08-07-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn, I going to have to buy this sucker!
Old 08-09-03, 02:56 PM
Banned

I can't get any of the hacks for the Toshiba SD3900 to work on this disc.
Old 08-09-03, 03:55 PM

What does your DVD player say when the disc loads?

If you press stop twice on the Toshiba once the disc is loaded (either just before (you may have to press stop multiple times quickly) or on the disc menu) then press the title/chapter key and enter Title #1 (or chapter time of 0:00:00) and press play what happens?
Old 08-09-03, 09:15 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak

What does your DVD player say when the disc loads?

If you press stop twice on the Toshiba once the disc is loaded (either just before (you may have to press stop multiple times quickly) or on the disc menu) then press the title/chapter key and enter Title #1 (or chapter time of 0:00:00) and press play what happens?
Nothing, Just "Check Regional Code"
Old 08-10-03, 02:06 AM

Your player says that from the very start?

Put the disc back in and diconnect the player from the electric and when you plug the cable back in (with the disc inside) make sure it does NOT load.

Then try the above again.
Old 08-10-03, 06:46 AM

I had this problem on my RP91 with Anastasia. I had to do the 'reset' procedure. Unfortunately, I can't remember what that was. I would call the place that modded it. They can tell you.
Old 08-11-03, 01:02 PM
Banned

Your player says that from the very start?

Put the disc back in and diconnect the player from the electric and when you plug the cable back in (with the disc inside) make sure it does NOT load.

Then try the above again.
The player won't let me select the title without loading first. But I did unplug the player and follow these steps, and nothing worked.
Old 08-11-03, 04:52 PM

So, what's all this about the Toshiba SD3900 being multi-region out of the box?

That UK disc should be no different to any other UK disc so I don't understand the problem (I've not read that massive thread).
Old 08-11-03, 11:32 PM
Banned

So, what's all this about the Toshiba SD3900 being multi-region out of the box?

That UK disc should be no different to any other UK disc so I don't understand the problem (I've not read that massive thread).
I wish I knew. I have other PAL discs it plays, but not this one.
Old 08-12-03, 12:56 AM

I would help you more but we are too far away

DVD players are very stupid things and try to repeat the same program again and again and this is why it's possible to out-smart them.

I'd say keep trying (try the 2nd disc too)
Old 08-12-03, 04:58 PM
Banned

To add to my frustration, the second disc now plays very easily, yet I cannot get the 2nd disc to run for the life of me.
Old 08-14-03, 06:00 PM

Deer Hunter is one of the great films and arguably the greatest ever American movie. The picture quality transfer of the new region 2 release needs to be seen in the context of how Vilmos Zsigmond intended it to be viewed. If you've seen the results of "flashing" (exposing the film to the light) in McCabe and Mrs Miller and The Long Goodbye (two earlier films Zsigmond worked on), then what is on display in Deer Hunter is what the masterly cinematographer intended it to look like. One important scene to note is the final deer hunting scene (the "ascension" as Cimino calls it). The picture here is as clear as a mountain stream.

Incidentally, as great as I think Cimino's two early films are, it has to be said that the commentary on the new UK release (which is a classic and apparently filmed as recently as two months ago) shows him to be still as arrogant as he ever was. He fired the writer, he fired the editor and Vilmos Zsigmond (according to Cimino) points the camera where he's told. Zsigmond alludes amusingly to this on disc two but nobly asserts (rightly) that Cimino is a genius. Still, whoever said a genius had to be a "nice" person as well ?
Old 08-18-03, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by monkey
To add to my frustration, the second disc now plays very easily, yet I cannot get the 2nd disc to run for the life of me.
Monkey, I think you meant to say you cannot get the 1st disc to run... Am I right? Is this still true?

Blast! I really wanted this title! Anybody know a fix or have the same problem? Confirmation.
Old 08-19-03, 03:23 AM

No problems here. Both discs play fine for me.
Old 08-22-03, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by taxidriver6
No problems here. Both discs play fine for me.
Not to seem dense, but you mean it plays on your Toshiba 3900? I'm easily confused.