Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

HKL Bruce Lee 30th Anniv. Box Set $62.95 at CD-WOW

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 07-04-03, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking for a good price for this upcoming limited edition box set from Hongkong Legends and I just found it at CD-WOW for $62.95 (that's U.S. dollars) with free shipping. The best I could find before that was 30 pounds with additional shipping charges which were considerable. If anyone sees it cheaper please post.
Michael
P.S. The price of $62.95 is before the $1.00 off link which can be found on another CD-WOW thread. I thought Bruce Lee deserved his own thread!
Old 07-05-03, 09:53 AM

The set doesn't look to include the 2 disc platinum edition of Way of the Dragon (my favorite Bruce Lee flick!) so I'm thinking I may have to duplicate that one. Triplicate really since I own the old Fox set. Ugh!!!
Old 07-05-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dvdguy
The set doesn't look to include the 2 disc platinum edition of Way of the Dragon (my favorite Bruce Lee flick!) so I'm thinking I may have to duplicate that one. Triplicate really since I own the old Fox set. Ugh!!!
Yes...that's right...shrewd marketing by Hong Kong Legends and don't forget for the 'Completist' Bruce Lee fan there is also another documentary separate from the one in the boxset called:

Bruce Lee: The Man, The Legend (HKL) which by all accounts is a limited release.
Old 07-06-03, 09:26 AM

I'm a sucker for HKL so I'll end up ordering the box set, the Way of the Dragon Platinum edition & the Man, the Legend disc as well.
Old 07-06-03, 03:53 PM

I doubt you will find it cheaper than cd-wow ... but that would also depend a bit on where you want it shipped ...
But 30 pounds? That's too good to be true - where did you see that offer? The cheapest ones I found were 40 and 45 pounds (cd-wow & play.com). I'd be grateful for a link to that offer.
Old 07-07-03, 05:07 PM

thalion,
That should have been 40 pounds instead of 30 pounds. Actually it was 39.99 at blackstar.co.uk. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 07-18-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well....4 days after the supposed release date and still no sign of my boxset shipping from CDWow

At least i console myself with several Bruce Lee documentaries and 'Enter The Dragon' on UK TV screens over this weekend.
Old 07-21-03, 12:01 PM

I'm in the same boat as you, Rich. I did get an email from CDWow saying that it was to be dispatched on 7/18 and should be expected to arrive in about 5 days...If you live in the UK, which I don't. Let us know if you get it in a couple of more days.

Status on the websit of my order still says "Pending Dispatch".
Old 07-21-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by elias
I'm in the same boat as you, Rich. I did get an email from CDWow saying that it was to be dispatched on 7/18 and should be expected to arrive in about 5 days...If you live in the UK, which I don't. Let us know if you get it in a couple of more days.

Status on the websit of my order still says "Pending Dispatch".
Yes..i got the same e-mail...i e-mailed them on Saturday and was told it would definately ship today (21st July)...it's now midnight GMT...and according to my order history it is still 'pending despatch'.
At this rate i'll be needing the 50th Anniversary boxset let alone the 30th.
Old 07-21-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just placed a very large order with Hong Kong Legends. How long does it take them to ship usually?
Old 07-22-03, 07:30 AM

Rich, I just checked the web site & my status has changed to "Sent", hopefully yours has as well.

indycohiba, HKL usually takes a while to ship (at least for my orders) and then I wait some more for the packages to clear customs, but I've never been disappointed when the packages arrive. Just realize it is going to take a while, relax, and enjoy when your dvd's arrive. It'll be a blast.
Old 07-22-03, 08:16 AM

I've ordered quite a bit from HKL recently and airmail to IN has been quicker than I thought. Less than a week.
Old 07-22-03, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rich, I just checked the web site & my status has changed to "Sent", hopefully yours has as well.
Thanks!...i've just checked as well and mine has also shipped finally
Old 07-26-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

elias

Have you received yours yet?....and if so...be honest..how long did it take you to figure out how to get the discs out?
Old 07-28-03, 07:19 AM

Rich,

Haven't gotten mine yet. You blokes in the UK must have gotten yours first.

I've found Way of the Dragon Platinum at Amazon.uk & HKL's site of course, both for UK16.99. Any other sites out there offering it for less? I'm holding out hoping CDWow picks it up.
Old 07-28-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've found Way of the Dragon Platinum at Amazon.uk & HKL's site of course, both for UK16.99. Any other sites out there offering it for less? I'm holding out hoping CDWow picks it up.
By the way..all i'll say about the Boxset is 'magnet'

Anyway with regard to the 'Way Of The Dragon'....i'm a bit intrigued because another retailer i use www.play.com doesn't have a 'Platinum Edition' listed as it claims the release was 'pulled' and called a 'Collectors Edition' instead..which looking at the cover scan on the site is totally different yet seems to have the same specs??...anyway it is listed over at Play as being 14.99...not sure how it stands now at present with regard to shipping to the USA as they have recently opened a USA site as i'm sure you are aware of but not sure if it applies to R2's.
Old 07-28-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
with regards to WOTD: Platinum,

HKL's official site now claims that this release is a Virgin/HKL Direct exclusive. Of course, this doesn't change the fact that it seems to be available at quite a few other places. However, some sites have pulled it from their catalog.
Old 07-28-03, 05:37 PM

That's interesting, rocket. Wonder what play.com & amazon.co.uk are selling then? Amazon says "usually dispatched in 24 hours".

If anyone got it from amazon, let me know. I'd rather get it from them than HKL direct as the shipping time is shorter.
Old 07-29-03, 07:41 AM

Rich,

Whew, I had a tough time with that box!

I was pushing and tugging and peeling until finally it came loose. The box must have been seeled with something more than the magnet at first. Once I got it open the first time it opens quite easily now.

Also, I just ordered Way of the Dragon from Amazon and then read rocket's post about it being exclusive. I wonder what I'm going to get from Amazon???
Old 07-29-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the retailers claiming to have WOTD: Platinum do in fact have it. HKLs announcement on their website seems to be news to just about everyone. I've read many accounts of people who work at retail stores in the UK saying they have plenty of these in stock. The whole situation seems very odd, and I have no idea what to make of it.
Old 07-30-03, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are the extras worth another purchase for the Platinum Edition of Way of the Dragon? I already have the box set on the way.
Old 07-30-03, 09:54 PM

The features on the Way of the Dragon Platinum Edition:

Optimum bite-rate transfer to maximise viewing quality
Digitally re-mastered for widescreen TVs
Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio
Dual language format(English dubbed and Cantonese with English subtitles
Interview with Robert Lee
Bruce Lee trailer archive,including rare theatrical trailers
Inside "Way Of The Dragon" with Production Manager interviews
"Memories of the Master" featurette:Bruce's training partner(Pat Johnson) reveals fascinating anecdotes of Bruce's relationship with Chuck Norris and Steve McQueen.
"Dragon Rising":a re-mastered transfer of Bruce Lee's only remaining screentest
Commentary by Hong Kong cinema expert Bey Logan
"Behind the Legend":a new photo gallery showcasing rare behind the scenes pictures donated by collectors
"Artist and Warrior":An exclusive interview with Bruce's friend and co-star Tony Lau Wing

vs the regular edition:

Digitially re-mastered and restored DVD transfer.
16:9 Anamorphic version enhanced for widescreen TVs.
Feature Length Audio Commentary with Bey Logan and co-star Jon Benn.
AC3 5:1 Digital Audio.
Original Theatrical Trailer.
UK Promotional Trailer.
Rare UK Seventies Trailer and TV Spots.
Production photo gallery.
Rare photo archive (containing rare stills, posters and original lobby card artwork). Extensive Interview Gallery.
Reflections on 'The Little Dragon' Promo.
Making of 'Way of the Dragon' text files.
Old 07-31-03, 09:34 AM

Does the Box set include the old release of Way of the Dragon?

Is the bonus disc in the box set the "BRUCE LEE-THE MAN,THE LEGEND" disc thats available seperately?

Thanks
Old 07-31-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mrwilson
Does the Box set include the old release of Way of the Dragon?

Is the bonus disc in the box set the "BRUCE LEE-THE MAN,THE LEGEND" disc thats available seperately?

Thanks
Yes from my understanding it does indeed include the 'old release' of 'Way Of The Dragon'...the Platinum edition is basically identical to the original transfer etc..only with the benefit of added supplements.

The bonus disc in the boxset is 'exclusive' to the boxset and is not the 'Bruce Lee-The Man,The Legend' disc.
Old 08-02-03, 08:25 PM

Well, I just received my order from Amazon UK & it is the 30th Anniversary Tribute - Bruce Lee - Way of the Dragon - Platinum 2 Disc Set that is pictured at the HKL web site. At least for now, this doesn't appear to be exclusive to HKL & Virgin Retail stores. Order with confidence.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.