Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Avalon Releases

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-03, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avalon Releases

Just wondering what everyone's opinin on this one is. I know there's two major releases, one thats pretty barebones and fairly cheap, and another release thats a little more packed and is at least twice as much as the barebones. wondering if anyone has either and what the opinions are. Should I go for the SE or stick with the cheapie?
Old 05-19-03, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Korean R3 is pretty nice from what I read.
Old 05-20-03, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Korean 2 disc is probably the way to go. 2nd disc of extras is not subbed but I imagine there’ll be enough visual material to entertain. Got the single disc Japanese release myself some time ago and it’s a stunning picture and sound. I believe the Korean compares favourably and for half the price. I just wish someone would release this with subtitles for the extras - Possibly my joint best film ever along with Blade Runner. If you can try and get the soundtrack to Avalon , it’s truly stunning.
Old 05-20-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also had the single disc Japanese dvd and eventually sold it and picked up the Korean R3 release... They're pretty much identical, except the Korean R3 add a FULL BIT RATE DTS TRACK!!! Awesome... I love this film. One of my top five favorite films to come out in the last 5 years.
Old 05-21-03, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Heliosphann, is there much to get out of the extras bearing mind they’re not subbed? Is the transfer as good as the japanese disc?
Old 05-21-03, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Honestly, I haven't checked out the extra's... I remember reading somewhere that they weren't totally useless without subs, so I assume it has some good visual content?

As for the transfer, from what I compared the R3 and R2 dvd's are nearly identical. Even the chapter stops are identical (except for one or two maybe...).
Old 05-25-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the Region free r3 HK disc and it was worth the 13$. The video and sound were great IMO
Old 05-25-03, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heh, how can something be region free R3?
Old 05-26-03, 01:20 AM
Banned

Sometimes they decide not to region-code discs... like the UK Tartan "Battle Royale" (I think)...
Old 05-26-03, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Fandango
Heh, how can something be region free R3?
The package says R3, but the disc is infact Region Free, I know because it played with no problems on my R1 Machine. Like the Chinese version of Hero says that is region coded, but it isn't.