Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Sign this to petition Disney to respect the foreign films they release.

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 04-07-03, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.petitiononline.com/warthkf/petition.html
Old 04-14-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Iron Monkey changes?

After reading and signing the petition, I was just wondering what was changed for the US release of Iron Monkey? I thought it was intact. Also, does anyone know why the original language track on the US release of Drunken Master cuts in and out of Cantonese (or maybe it was Mandarin?) to English and then back. Does anyone know if there are any plans to fix this or if another region has an edition without this problem? Thanks.
Old 04-14-03, 06:54 PM

Just buy a region-free dvd player, get those HKL releases.
Old 04-15-03, 05:45 PM

Re: Iron Monkey changes?

Originally posted by jrsl76
After reading and signing the petition, I was just wondering what was changed for the US release of Iron Monkey? I thought it was intact. Also, does anyone know why the original language track on the US release of Drunken Master cuts in and out of Cantonese (or maybe it was Mandarin?) to English and then back. Does anyone know if there are any plans to fix this or if another region has an edition without this problem? Thanks.
Miramax trimmed a small amount of footage from Iron Monkey, presumably to get a PG-13 rating. Also, the English subtitles are sometimes inaccurate (and other times they just plain lie), and I believe they changed the musical score as well.

As for Drunken Master, I think the original language track had partially deteriorated due to the age of the film and the conditions under which it was stored. A pity, but at least Columbia/TriStar was high-minded enough to include what they had, whereas Dimension would never even consider including the original language.
Old 04-15-03, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by Raxel
Just buy a region-free dvd player, get those HKL releases.
That is a very self-centered and short-sighted "solution". For one thing, Miramax/Buena Vista owns the worldwide distribution rights for Drunken Master 2 ("Legend of Drunken Master") and Fist of Legend, and there are currently NO complete, English subbed versions of either of those movies in print anywhere. For another thing, there are lots of people out there who simply don't know any better (I say that without hostility) who spend money on butchered Hong Kong releases because they don't know where to get the real things...and, there is absolutely no reason why people shouldn't be able to get the complete film at a regular retail store.

If they (Miramax and Dimension) can afford to do it at all...then they can afford to do it right.

http://alliance.hellninjacommando.net (FAQ is slightly out of date, but the essential facts are still there)
Old 04-15-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 252 Posts
Re: Re: Iron Monkey changes?

Originally posted by Numskull

As for Drunken Master, I think the original language track had partially deteriorated due to the age of the film and the conditions under which it was stored. A pity, but at least Columbia/TriStar was high-minded enough to include what they had, whereas Dimension would never even consider including the original language.
That's what I've heard too. Sometimes, Columbia just has to make the best of whatever film elements survived the Hong Kong film industry's terrible track record of film preservation. This, I think, is also is the reason why a couple of Columbia's Jackie Chan titles are full screen, because they couldn't track down any surviving elements for a widescreen release.

Its scary to think that sometime in the future, the Americanized Miramax versions might be the only versions that remain available for certain HK films.
Old 04-16-03, 02:13 AM

Re: Re: Re: Iron Monkey changes?

Originally posted by cultshock
Its scary to think that sometime in the future, the Americanized Miramax versions might be the only versions that remain available for certain HK films.
People might call you a paranoid conspiracy theory freak for saying that, but you're right. One has only to look at the appalling treatment of Hero (Miramax had the film altered to suit its perception of the American public's taste for its theatrical relase in China) to see that this is a very legitimate concern.
Old 04-18-03, 12:00 AM

Re: Re: Iron Monkey changes?

Originally posted by Numskull

If part of the original language track was unusable, I wish they would've just dubbed it in it's original language and used that instead of using english dubs.

In fact, I think I remember seeing or hearing somewhere (a DVD documentary or commentary track) that it is common for HK films to be dubbed even in their original language. This is due to the fact that they usually have a very low budget (compared to US movies), and they're often unable to get a good quality recording of the dialog while filming the scenes. Therefore, it's not uncommon for them to have the actors dub their lines in a sound studio at a later date.
Old 04-18-03, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I dont want to sound like a snob but please remember that Miramax owns the rights to many international releases which are non-HKL. Many European films...Italian/German/French/Swedish...THEY DONT EVEN CONSIDER RELEASING THEM!!!!

.....speaking of capitalims (monopoly)..gone bad!!!!!