Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are There Any Good "Essential International DVDs" Lists?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 03-21-03, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are many comprehensive lists floating around (like our very own exclusive list), but has anyone put together a solid list of non-R1 DVDs that every R1 resident should own or consider owning? This would likely include discs not available in R1 at all but more importantly, it would be good or popular films where most people agree that the non-R1 version is superior for one reason or another. For example, everyone seems to agree that the R3 version of Army of Darkness kicks ass.

If no such list exists, I'm sure forum members would enjoy naming their favorite "essential" international DVDs in this very thread.

das
Old 03-22-03, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
*peers down nose at you*

Shouldn't you be off watching an episode of Buffy or something?

Actually - here's a thread (on the first page even) that already basically poses the same question and already has some answers.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=279712

No, I don't think we have a definitive list here, but there's a few websites that compare and contrast R1 and R2 versions of films. I can't think of the site off the top of my head, but someone surely knows.
Old 03-22-03, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I apologize if my intent was not clear, but I was interested in more than just films that aren't available in R1. There's a sticky at the top of the forum for this very thing, and as Josh Z says in his opening post in the thread you linked ...

I'd like to keep this to movies that just plain aren't available in Region 1 at all, rather than movies that have better/more feature-loaded editions elsewhere.
So, while not trying to split hairs, I believe my inquiry is quite different from his, and as such, I started the separate thread.

A decent site for region comparisons is http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/ but it's approach is a comprehensive list of all titles. While helpful to be sure, again, it doesn't particularly address what I'm looking for. DVD sites are always putting up their Top 10 "Must Have" DVDs of the year or of all time or whatever. My inquiry is if anyone knows of a good "Must Have" list of non-R1 DVDs that's tailored to R1 residents and doesn't focus so heavily on whether the title itself is exclusively available outside of the US. Again, I use the Army of Darkness example. It's a popular film that has a large following; plus the R3 disc is often refered to as superior to the R1 version.

And just for those who didn't think I could tie TV Talk and Buffy into this conversation appropriately, perhaps this R2 disc -- http://www.dvdweb.co.uk/new/news.asp?mainID=1423 -- is a candidate for the very list I'm seeking.

das
Old 03-22-03, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for all the detail!

das
Old 03-22-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
That's cool - I wasn't saying you couldn't have a thread, but thought I'd point out the other thread so you could see it. There are several dvds listed that have better versions in other countries in that thread in spite of his request to have it be of DVDs not available at all in R1.

Anyway - I suggest Drive R2. I can't really think of anything else that hasn't been stated already. You should research and collect all this data and make the list yourself.
Old 03-22-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Trigger <HR SIZE=1>That's cool - I wasn't saying you couldn't have a thread, but thought I'd point out the other thread so you could see it. There are several dvds listed that have better versions in other countries in that thread in spite of his request to have it be of DVDs not available at all in R1.<HR SIZE=1>

Apologies if my tone seemed defensive -- it wasn't intentional. I was just trying to clarify my intentions with the thread to avoid confusion.

Quoth Trigger <HR SIZE=1>Anyway - I suggest Drive R2. I can't really think of anything else that hasn't been stated already. You should research and collect all this data and make the list yourself. <HR SIZE=1>

I considered this, but unfortuantely the criteria is way too subjective. My "must have" list will be quite different from yours, and the longer I spent compiling the list, the more it would just become a general list of non-R1 DVDs. This certainly doesn't change my interest in what another website, or more importantly, another forum member thinks are the most essential DVDs; it just makes it a bit difficult to make any kind of "list." I guess if there were enough interest, I could set up numerous polls, and we could all decide as a group what we thought were essential titles, but since this conversation is pretty thin right now, I can't imagine the interest level is high enough to warrant the effort.

Since there's likely no good list elsewhere, perhaps a better title for this thread could have been "What are YOUR Must Have International DVDs?"

Thanks for the input.

das
Old 03-22-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 190 Posts
Das, I understand what you're going for and how it differs from my previous thread.

As a Buffy fan, you should be aware that seasons 4 onwards of Buffy have been 16:9 widescreen in both Regions 2 and 4. It is looking like the upcoming Region 1 release of season 4 is going to be 4:3.

Likewise, Angel seasons 2 and 3 are 16:9 in Region 2 (the Region 4 release of season 2 is 4:3, but season 3 will be 16:9).

As far as non-Buffy related material, here are some of the other discs I own:

- La Dolce Vita (a marvelous anamorphic copy is available in Italy)
- Dune (the German and Japanese releases are both interesting if imperfect; see here for details)
- The Fifth Element (German release has a bunch of supplements)
- Mulholland Drive (Korean and French releases both have supplements, but unfortunately no DTS)
- The Straight Story (Japanese release has a DTS track and supplements)

I don't really consider Canadian discs to be "foreign", since they are encoded for Region 1 and will play in any American DVD player. However, a couple of interesting ones are Brotherhood of the Wolf (3-disc set) and eXistenZ (much better than American release).

And, oh yes, you can get Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in any country other than the US. I have the Canadian Region 1 copy.

Last edited by Josh Z; 03-22-03 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-22-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the info, Josh. I'm going to have to dig through all the different TV sets to find the various differences. I don't mind buying a R1 and R# version of a single movie for different features, but with expensive box sets, I need to do a better job getting it right the first time. I knew I was going to have to go look up the various Buffy specs, but thankfully you just saved me some time. I like your other suggestions as well ... precisely what I was looking for. Thanks again.

das
Old 03-22-03, 04:39 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Are There Any Good "Essential International DVDs" Lists?

Originally posted by das Monkey
There are many comprehensive lists floating around (like our very own exclusive list), but has anyone put together a solid list of non-R1 DVDs that every R1 resident should own or consider owning?
das
Check out this site:

http://207.136.67.23/film/top-non-r1.htm#t
Old 03-22-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pretty cool list. Thanks. It's pretty much just a list of great foreign DVDs, but it's a good list nonetheless. There are many other eclectic and foreign lists all over that site for anyone interested.

das
Old 03-23-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I knew I was going to have to go look up the various Buffy specs, but thankfully you just saved me some time.
I've got a package with Buffy seasons 4 & 5 and Angel seasons 2 & 3 en route from amazon.uk right now. Should be receiving it sometime next week. I plan to review the 16:9 transfers when I'm done watching them all.
Old 03-23-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Josh Z <HR SIZE=1>I've got a package with Buffy seasons 4 & 5 and Angel seasons 2 & 3 en route from amazon.uk right now. Should be receiving it sometime next week. I plan to review the 16:9 transfers when I'm done watching them all. <HR SIZE=1>

I plan to read that review.

das
Old 03-24-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quoth Josh Z <HR SIZE=1>I've got a package with Buffy seasons 4 & 5 and Angel seasons 2 & 3 en route from amazon.uk right now. Should be receiving it sometime next week. I plan to review the 16:9 transfers when I'm done watching them all. <HR SIZE=1>

I plan to read that review.

das
Me too. I'd like to know if the 16:9 is matted from the 4:3 image or if the 4:3 is P&S.
Old 03-24-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BSTNFAN
Me too. I'd like to know if the 16:9 is matted from the 4:3 image or if the 4:3 is P&S.
In TV production, when a show is photographed for dual aspect ratios usually the 4:3 version is taken as a center extraction from the middle of the 16:9 area. The 16:9 should have more picture on the sides of the screen. This is the opposite of how it's usually done in feature film production.

I hear that in Buffy this leads to a couple of production gaffes not visible in the 4:3 version (characters whose mouths aren't moving when they are speaking, but are completely off-screen in the 4:3 version).