Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Multi-region *computer* DVD players

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-03, 05:55 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you guys play DVDs from different regions on your computer DVD player? Right now, my player is restricted to 5 region changes, if I remember correctly. After that, I need to reinstal the OS.

Any solutions? People seem to get around it with some software hacks, but I haven't found one that atually works.

Witold
www.witold.org
Old 03-20-03, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are players available that will let you play any region, and there are hacks available for most players that allow you to keep changing the region code. See www.vcdhelp.com for more info.
Old 03-20-03, 06:31 PM

http://www.dvdidle.com/
DvdRegion-Free is one such software. You can download a trial version. Some might consider it pricey at $40 US.
(to me I can justify it as a $40 modification- I watch at least half of my films on my pc.)

I'm running it on a P4 2.4 MHz, 768 MB Ram, 18" LCD
No complaints here

(disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with dvdidle.com)
Old 03-20-03, 07:22 PM

The DVDIdle author is well known for having spammed some DVD and video forums in the past ... anyway, I don't need to use it and thus can't and won't comment on its usefulness.
If you go for classic methods, you will have to circumvent the region protection of both your OS and your dvd-rom (hardware).
The first can be achieved by using DVD genie (http://www.inmatrix.com/genie/) - be sure to read and follow instructions closely, the second involves finding a RPC-1 drive (i.e. it does not support region locking) or modifying your existing drive by using an updated firmware. For the latter (learn which drives and firmwares are RPC-1), visit www.rpc1.org.
Updating a firmware is not completely without risk, but what's risk-free anyway ... again be sure to follow instructions closely.
Old 03-21-03, 12:17 AM

Another thumbs up for DVD Genie.
Old 03-21-03, 10:44 AM
Cool New Member

Just a note about the limited region changes -- most DVD drives store the region info in firmware, not on your harddrive. So reinstalling your OS will most probably not restore your 5 changes -- once it's region locked, it's locked. There are ways to get around this (I think) but it's definitely much easier to update your DVD firmware to region-free or (preferably) region-selectable BEFORE you use all your manufacturer-granted changes.

I've firmware flashed 6 or 7 drives over the past few years (pulling my updates from the site that is now www.rpc1.org), and never had any trouble. It is possible to futz up your drive pretty badly (as in, kill it), so do be sure to read the instructions carefully.
Old 03-22-03, 01:12 AM

I had to use a hacked firmware and then there's several programs that can reset the limited changes in your OS.

DVDIdle is cool. But I'd buy an extra $30 dvd-rom and set it to region 3 before I paid $40 for it.
Old 03-22-03, 09:12 AM

the hacked firmware i use is simple, you select the drive and either hit deactivate or activate. no idea why you'd want to activate your region locks, but it really is that simple. i have a cheap lite-on drive i got for $42.

however if the firmware hack you found for your drive isn't so simple and requires flashing your drive, do read the instructions. but in the slim chance things do go awry, remember that dvd-roms are really cheap, and while it sucks to have to buy a new one, it isn't like you're out a lot of money.