Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

before you buy from overseas...

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-03, 09:46 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

hate to scare anybody, but check this out http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/200...=home&SEC=news

sounds like an extremely contagious disease being spread, started in Asian countries.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am holding off my Hong Kong DVD orders until this thing looks better... You never know who is handling our orders....
Old 03-15-03, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Hmm... I'm not really worried actually. I believe the USPS will irradiate my packages in order to kill anthrax and in turn will kill whatever this bug is.

Ahh - ignorance is bliss.
Old 03-16-03, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to not order DVD's because of this is not very rational. How many of the products that you use everyday are made in Asia, probably a majority of them. If you are worried about DVD's then why not everything else that is made in that part of the world.

I just ordered over a dozen DVD's from asian sources and have not had any health issues and will continue to buy the movies I want.
Old 03-16-03, 01:39 AM

I would also warn people not to import weapons of mass destruction (small lethal weapons are acceptable) from the USA, Britain, Israel or France.

If you do import them make sure you don't pay by cheque or accept a receipt. Used non-sequential cash or oil is the best payment method.
Old 03-16-03, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know, I can appreciate the FYI - but I don't think it'll be a problem. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 03-16-03, 07:01 AM

all valid points

Bluntman72's comment were especially interesting. h/she's right - a lot of the stuff we buy is made overseas. I guess I typically don't think of that when I go to my local store to buy something. But when I place an order with a hong kong based dealer it made me think.

Still, we should all be careful.. i just recovered from Pneumonia - trust me - it aint' pretty.

Stay safe, healthy and warm, folks!
Old 03-16-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ignorance is bliss... whatever you do - don't go peeking into the kitchen of whatever your favorite restaurant is.
Old 03-16-03, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have an order from DDDHouse arriving any day. I thought of this when I read the news today. Damn, I knew my DVDs would eventually lead me to my death. I just thought it would be from their crushing weight of the vast number I now own or due to insomnia from so many late night viewings!
Old 03-16-03, 09:06 PM

Is it possible for viruses or bacteria to exist on dvds? Correct me if Im wrong, but I dont think its possible.

Now if we were shipping collectable region 3 mice and rats....I might have more reason for concern.
Old 03-17-03, 01:15 AM

Is it possible for viruses or bacteria to exist on dvds? Correct me if Im wrong, but I dont think its possible.

Definitely. I once caught the flu from the Region 4 Silence of The Lambs and a rash from the Region 2 Back to The Future.

I think you guys would be better sticking with Region 1 as it's much healthier.

Do you think it's safe to import from Canada? I know they're Region 1 but I worry because there's a lot of French speakers in Canada.
Old 03-17-03, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

. . . . . .
Old 03-17-03, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

...ughh...I got the French bug!
Old 03-17-03, 03:15 AM

You fargin bastages! Ecoutent moi, ceci est une situation très sérieuse!
Old 03-17-03, 06:44 AM

FREEDOM DVDs!!!
Old 03-17-03, 08:00 AM

ok - enough already..

I was trying to bring a legitimate concern to the community. Don't think fatal diseases are anything to joke about. Some virus's CAN be communciated via material. For example clothing and other personal belonging definitely can transmit disease.

Whether or not these new viruses can survive/travel through material products like DVDs remains to be seen. I agree it is a long shot. But a sick worker who coughs while he is packaging your order MAY be transmitting something.. Probably far fetched, but since the WHO is declaring this a world wide emergency I thought it was in the best interest of everyone to let people know about it.

As I said, I have just recently recovered from Pneumonia and I wouldn't want my worst enemy to experience what I went through..

Let's close this thread before the comments get more out of hand.

Peace..
Old 03-20-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok - well, I called the CDC about it and asked them and they informed me that it cannot be transferred by inanimate objects such as DVDs. The incubation period is 2 to 7 days. I started freaking out a little cuz I got my package today and started feeling a bit ill a few hours later. Now that I think about it though, I was getting a little bit of a headache before the package arrived. I must just have some other kind of bug. If you stop hearing from me in a few days, then I have SARS and I am likely dead.
Old 03-21-03, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
I think stress [ about War,aggrevation about not having certain favorite films on DVD, our next DVD order...] has gotten to all of you fellas!

Old 03-21-03, 03:44 AM
Cool New Member

Yeah, I think the original poster was just expressing some geniune concern for their fellow DVD Talkers - who so kindly responded with cynicism & mockery.
Old 03-21-03, 02:08 PM

Yeah, I think the original poster was just expressing some geniune concern for their fellow DVD Talkers - who so kindly responded with cynicism & mockery.

Well, in these here parts (UK) it's called humour and very funny it was too.

I thought the post was a MASSIVE overreaction to a 'news' story and rather silly (as did others obviously).

That's not being cynical it's called factual (as proven later on in the thread).

This is a DVD forum after all -not a communicable disease forum- so if someone posts something off-field there may be 'cynical' replies. That's not an attack.
Old 03-22-03, 01:08 AM

You know, when I heard about this virus, this was the first thing that occured to me. After giving it some actual thought, I see no cause for alarm though. I must be watching too much "Simpsons."
Old 03-23-03, 06:35 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I think by now all in International DVD Talk have seen this that "need" to see it!

I wonder if any Others have come across this story.... []

Benedict
Moderator, International DVD Talk