Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Korean movie recommendations [Part Deux]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Korean movie recommendations [Part Deux]

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-03, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any chance of the price reduction release of “Resurrection Of The Little Match Girl” including english subtitles?
Old 07-15-03, 01:22 AM

SayoDvd.com informed me that this sale will begin around July 22nd.
Old 07-15-03, 06:54 AM

Any chance of the price reduction release of “Resurrection Of The Little Match Girl” including english subtitles?

I'd settle for any version with English subs.
Old 07-15-03, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's a boot on Ebay that's a direct port of the Korean DVD w/english subs. Supposedly they even made a menu and everything for the subs. I don't condone buying boots, but since EnterOne neglected to put Eng subs on their dvd (unlike about every Korean DVD), well... Supposedly I read someplace that EnterOne was working on a re-release that included Eng Subs, we'll see.
Old 07-16-03, 08:47 AM

Yeah, I saw the boot on ebay. I asked Koreandvds.com about it and they seemd to think it was a Chinese release. Maybe that was a nice way of saying 'bootleg'. I haven't been able to find a legit Chinese release.

Guess I'll keep waiting.
Old 07-16-03, 03:42 PM

Is that movie worth a blind buy?
Old 07-16-03, 04:43 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I am ready for another batch of films, any comments on these?

Garden of Heaven
Madeleine
Who are you
Scent of Love
Old 07-19-03, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by mapson
I am ready for another batch of films, any comments on these?

Garden of Heaven
Madeleine
Who are you
Scent of Love
I haven't seen any of them but I can give you want I have read ... Scent of love is cliche ridden junk and so is Madeleine and garden of Heaven but the last two are enjoyable if you like that kind of thing ... the best seems to be Who are you ... which has lots of nice hip touches ...
Old 07-21-03, 05:44 PM

hey, cirruss888 and fellow dvdtalkers in HK

I'll be going to HK soon, can you people recommend any places to go shop for korean dvds in terms of good selection and prices?
Old 07-24-03, 07:47 PM

Re: Hello!

Originally posted by moowee
Hello, everyone!

I am very happy to find such a cool place like this. I'd like to thank all of you.

As a Korean film fan, I highly recommend Waikiki Brothers.

Waikiki Brothers is a deeeply-moving sad movie about a night-club band. Sometimes funny, sometimes gloomy but never violent.

I am very sorry that I did'nt write much about this films because of my poor English (I am still learning English), but you can find the review at Darcy's Korean Film Page(http://www.koreanfilm.org/index.html)

I saw WB in Korean version and its transfering is so good in spite of low-budget film.
I saw the movie as well, and it is nice. In a nutshell, the movie that spans a number of years is about a band (more or less) and they end up playing some of the old classics from pre-90's(?) Korea. To analogize with American pop, it's sorta like watching a movie about a h.s. band that plays some Chuck Berry and then as the band members get older, they start playing Beatles, Elvis, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Billy Joel, Eric Clapton, and Bruce. In that order. The nice part is that when they start playing, there's a caption at the bottom which shows the name of the song, the author, and the year(of release?), if I recall correctly.

I'd say that it's one of those movies a specific demographic (any former band members or Koreans aged in late 30's) would absolutely love and thoroughly appreciate.

Personally, I'd like to give it another try, at least for the music. 60's and 70's Korean music isn't really as popular over there, now, in the way 60's and 70's American music is over here, now.
Old 07-30-03, 12:13 PM

I took the PLUNGE!

After being very impressed by My Sassy Girl (I found and bought the tin), I decided to put in a decent size order.. Here's what I got.

From Yesasia (using the $5 coupon)
Lee Chang Dong Box set - (Oasis, Peppermint Candy and Green Fish with extras)
2009 With Special Edition Making of Book
Il Mare
Attack the Gas Station
Harmonium in my memory (for free)

From Mr. Kwang(ebay)
JSA - 2 disk special edition

From HKFlix
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance 2 disk special edition(couldn't find this edition anywhere else)

From Ebay (stiller69 or whatever)
Resurrection of Little Match Girl - bootleg but I want to see it.

So what did I miss?!?
Old 07-30-03, 12:26 PM

Madpervert, you must get Save the Green Planet. My favorite korean movie of 2003 by a mile.
Old 07-30-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Originally posted by MadPervert

So what did I miss?!?
If you like cinema with an edge, I suggest:

Ryoo Seung-wan (Cinema of Pain )

Die Bad
No Blood No Tears

Kim Ki-duk (Cinema of "Basic Desires" )

The Isle
Adresss Unknown
Bad Guy
Real Fiction (interesting "exercise", shot in 4 hours with multiple cameras)
(Skip The Coast Guard, it sucks)
Old 07-30-03, 02:58 PM

Where did you get $5 coupon?

I took the PLUNGE!

After being very impressed by My Sassy Girl (I found and bought the tin), I decided to put in a decent size order.. Here's what I got.

From Yesasia (using the $5 coupon)
Lee Chang Dong Box set - (Oasis, Peppermint Candy and Green Fish with extras)
2009 With Special Edition Making of Book
Il Mare
Attack the Gas Station
Harmonium in my memory (for free)

From Mr. Kwang(ebay)
JSA - 2 disk special edition

From HKFlix
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance 2 disk special edition(couldn't find this edition anywhere else)

From Ebay (stiller69 or whatever)
Resurrection of Little Match Girl - bootleg but I want to see it.

So what did I miss?!?
Old 07-30-03, 03:06 PM

I think I just did a yahoo search for yesasia coupon and found a site that said to try "GOODBUY2" and it worked.

Thinking about getting Save the Green Planet, Die Bad and No Blood No Tears. Die Bad is full screen?
Old 07-30-03, 03:20 PM

Yeah I've been hearing a lot about saving the green planet, I might have to take a plunge on that too. I want that oasis/peppermint boxset but I already have oasis, what to do what to do???
Old 07-30-03, 04:40 PM

Die bad is fullscreen, but that's the OAR(original aspect ratio). Great movie btw. I didn't like No blood no tears that much, so in my opinion, get Die bad over Blood if you have to choose one or the other.

I think the GOODBUY2 coupon has expired, but it's worth a shot.
Old 07-31-03, 06:21 AM

Added Die Bad and Save the Green Planet Limited Ed. (comes with a towel?) Ok I'm done.. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 07-31-03, 10:10 AM

die bad is a little low budget for my taste and I would recommend most of the melodramas above it first.

If you like My Sassy Girl, then Lovers concerto and the classic are worth a view.
Old 07-31-03, 01:18 PM

OK I'll try the Cassic and Lovers Concerto next order. I love low budget movies! I don't know why, maybe it's because of all those bad 80's horror films.
Old 07-31-03, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
(Skip The Coast Guard, it sucks)
Dear Sweet Lord.

I caught Coast Guard at a film festival in the Czech Republic three weeks ago. It was my introduction to the films of Kim Ki-duk, as I had heard nothing but raves about his work (he was even there to introduce the film.)

What a collossal piece of crap this movie turned out to be. I'm going to check out the other films on your list, because I couldn't believe the talented director I heard so much about was responsible for that turdburglet.
Old 08-01-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Dear Sweet Lord.

I caught Coast Guard at a film festival in the Czech Republic three weeks ago. It was my introduction to the films of Kim Ki-duk, as I had heard nothing but raves about his work (he was even there to introduce the film.)

What a collossal piece of crap this movie turned out to be. I'm going to check out the other films on your list, because I couldn't believe the talented director I heard so much about was responsible for that turdburglet.
Yes, I'd seen all of his other films so I bought The Coast Guard despite the bad reviews it had got. I thought come on, I'm sure it can't be that bad! Well it it The actor who plays the main character is not the least bit believable in that role. And that's only the beginning of this film's problems... So give his other films a try, The Coast Guard is the "anomaly" in his filmography.
Old 08-03-03, 09:33 AM

OK I'll try the Cassic and Lovers Concerto next order. I love low budget movies! I don't know why, maybe it's because of all those bad 80's horror films.
The Classic and Lover's Concerto are anything but low budget ... polished Korean melodrama at their best.

Kim Ki Duk - Seen The Bad Guy and The Isle. I didn't like The Isle much and it put me of his films until someone forced me to go watch the Bad Guy with them and I found that rather good although it is more or less the same as the Isle.
Old 08-03-03, 09:36 AM

insano - Mong Kok near the middle of Ladies Street market next to the Mong Kok Hi Fi centre where you will see some steep stairs leading down downstairs into a small shopping mall that is the cheapest place for Korean DVDs and DVDs in general ... if you can't find that then you need to find the Sino Centre which isn't as good as it use to be but still has 2 places selling Korean DVDs more expensively.
Old 08-03-03, 10:20 PM

I absolutely hated Lover's Concerto, but I've never heard of the Classic. Where can I get it?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.