Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

r2 kubrick collection: snapper cases or amaray?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-03, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want the kubrick collection but i don't want a messed up copy of eyes wide shut (in r1) or the shining (in r2). if the r2 set isn't snapper cases i'd buy it and then buy the us shining but if the r2 set is snappers i'll just buy the r1 collection and the r2 EWS. so, is the r2 set a buncha snappers too?
Old 03-08-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes.

...incidentally: the R2 version of The Shining is not 'messed up' - in fact this shorter cut was preferred by the Director !

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 03-08-03 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-08-03, 09:31 PM

you make me sad.

thanks for the quick response, though
Old 03-09-03, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The R2 versions are also snappers.

If you don't want the snappers, get the collection from Australia. They have the discs in tranparent Amaray cases. You would have to buy Dr Strangelove seperately though, as the Columbia title is not part of the set over there.
The Australian collection (with the short cut of The Shining BTW) is also significantly cheaper than either R2 or R1 set.

Although the shorter cut of The Shining is Kubrick's most recent cut, I don't think there's any information available regarding the fact which version the late director himself prefered.
They can be both considered as "director's cut", so die hard Kubrick fans should own them both.
Old 03-09-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...I guess you're right about the two versions - actually I was only repeating what I had read somewhere, sometime... fwiw here's what the IMDb's 'Alternate Versions' site has to say: The Shining...

. . . . . .
Old 03-09-03, 10:54 AM

i think i'm gonna go for the aussy release. any way to get the US box itself (just the packaging), so that i can put strangelove back in it and have it in one nice box???
Old 03-09-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just wanted to chime in... the shorter cut of "The Shining" is and improvement.
Old 03-09-03, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jkester
i think i'm gonna go for the aussy release. any way to get the US box itself (just the packaging), so that i can put strangelove back in it and have it in one nice box???
If you really want a nice box, you could also go for the Paul Champagne custom made aluminium box which can hold 9 dvd's:

I've also heard that some shops that sold the dvd's separately from the box, because they wanted to sell the A Life In Pictures documentary individually.
If you can locate such a store (some on the internet may also have done this), perhaps they have some empty boxes available....

Alternatively, you could also simply write/phone/e-mail Warner themselves and ask for one.

I have the R1 box but I only keep 8 dvd's in it, BTW. I think it's too tight and therefore I keep the documentary separately.
Next to Killer's Kiss, The Killing, Paths Of Glory, Spartacus, and the R2 versions of The Shining and Eyes Wide Shut, so I don't really see any real advantage in a box for 9 dvd's over a box for 8 dvd's.

I also strongly prefer the short cut of The Shining to the long American version, Hendrik, and probably Kubrick cut the first because he wasn't satisfied. No one has ever seemed to ask him anything about the two different versions however......
Old 03-09-03, 04:31 PM
boptothebeat

I also strongly prefer the short cut of The Shining to the long American version, Hendrik, and probably Kubrick cut the first because he wasn't satisfied. No one has ever seemed to ask him anything about the two different versions however......
I'll ask him! Where is that bastard!!!??!
Old 03-09-03, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by boptothebeat
I'll ask him! Where is that bastard!!!??!
I'll ask him too when I see him, but I hope that won't be anytime soon...
Old 03-10-03, 10:37 PM

i took the plunge and ordered the aussie box and a uk strangelove (so itll match) and ive decided i dont care about the box-theyll look awesome on my shelf.