DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Where's the subtitles? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/275472-wheres-subtitles.html)

Lucas 03-03-03 02:34 AM

Where's the subtitles?

I see lists of DVDs on this forum that aren't available in the US/UK -but what about foreign films that have no subtitles? That's one of the bad things about buying outside your own Region. So many nice DVDs but so many negatives.

A few I'd like:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/umd/lon...bs_DVDTalk.jpg

La Balance
Tatie Danielle
Daddy Nostalgie
Je t'aime, moi non plus (comes with a CD)
Un héros très discret

Many of those don't even have French subtitles so there's little hope.

Have you guys seen discs like this?

Trigger 03-03-03 03:49 AM

French DVDs don't often carry subtitles. The french are quite rude that way. ;)

Anyway - you're right - apparently, none of those carry subtitles. I looked for other regions, but didn't come up with anything. :/ Sorry. At least a few of those should end up with a Region 1 release eventually. You might also want to try Canadian retailers since they're kinda french.

Hendrik 03-03-03 04:05 AM

...don't be too sure: only FRENCH-LANGUAGE Canadian retailers
(e.g. Archambault) are 'kinda French'
- the others most emphatically are NOT...

. . . :o . . .

Hendrik 03-03-03 04:20 AM

...of course, you could always try to learn French...

(signed) Solicitous Sam

. . . ;) . . .

Lucas 03-03-03 05:03 AM

What a horrible tin!

>Le Bonheur est dans le pré

That has English subs -I own it already.

I do speak/hear French quite well but I can struggle if there's no subs on some films. I doubt I'd have too much of a problem with Daddy Nostalgie as the main actor has English as his first language -but I'd rather wait for subs. I do have a few French discs sans subtitles (including the original Le Mépris) and I manage very well. I know nothing about French dialects/accents but I guess that film has the equivalent of spoken 'BBC English'. An example of a must have subtitles French film is Les Grands ducs -I have no idea what they're saying much of the time (mostly due to slang).

I'd also like a few Korean, Japanese, Italian and there's an interesting thriller in Swazi but I don't have the time to learn the lingo :D

jarsim 03-06-03 01:36 AM

Originally posted by Hendrik
...of course, you could always try to learn French...

(signed) Solicitous Sam

. . . ;) . . .

Lucas, you need to look not further to Hendrik's responses in this and other threads regarding French films sans subtitles.

He holds an inherently arrogant attitude of why French is no longer a world language, the "well, if you don't understand it, it's your problem" attitude (a.k.a. 'if you don't speak it perfectly, don't speak it' attitude) The average Francophone's attitude to the French language is as much of a cause to its detriment as the ascendancy in world clout of anglophones.

English is the world language due to its native speakers' openness, encouragement and acceptance of non-native English-speakers speaking the language.

You will not likely see these films with English subtitles unless luckfully an American distributor picks up the rights. Otherwise, you have to learn the French language, otherwise you don't deserve to enjoy French cinema just like Hendrik thinks. :rolleyes:

Josh Z 03-06-03 10:38 AM

Jarsim, it was pretty clear that Hendrik was just joking.

For one, he's not even French.

Hendrik 03-06-03 03:38 PM

...that's right... I'm a naturalized American citizen of Dutch descent, born in what is now Indonesia (begone! you dirty lowdown colonialist!) now living in the German-(actually, Tüütsch-)speaking part of Switzerland... before I moved here, I lived in Paris for a few years, where I took Italian courses at the Instituto Dante Alleghieri and German courses at the Goethe Institut... before coming (back) to Europe, I lived in California, where I took private lessons in (Mexican-flavored) Spanish...

(signed) Polyglot Globetrotter

. . . ;) . . .

Lucas 03-06-03 03:58 PM

I never realised you were so wind-swept and interesting Hendrik!

We are not worthy :D

Tis a shame such talents are drowning in the non-country that is Switzerland ;)

(sigend illegibly) Monoglot for the best part.

eXcentris 03-06-03 04:17 PM

Originally posted by Lucas
I never realised you were so wind-swept and interesting Hendrik!

He's mostly just old.

j/k Hendrik :)

And yes, the French, an R2 country, are very rude not to be catering to the needs of R1 Americans... Or perhaps some people are under the illusion that everybody in Europe would understand or even care about having English subs.